|09-24-2007 until 10-25-2020|
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Ride Report Rules!
Ride Reports is an amazing place, don’t you think? Whether it's the pics you take to record your trip, or the wonderful prose to tell your story, or the effort it takes to put it all together for all of us to enjoy (and for many of you, English is your 2nd language!), the passion you have for motorcycle riding and telling your stories truly stands out and is what makes Advrider so special. Ride Reports is the jewel in the crown of ADVrider!
Since we now have two ride reports forums, use Ride Reports for long trips, lasting several days, weeks or months where reports tend to be long and contain many pages. For shorter trips lasting a day or two or three, use the Day Trippin' ride reports forum.
To keep Ride Reports as popular as it is, the Moderators of this forum have jotted down this forum’s rules.
1. Be polite, and keep it civil.
• Keep vulgar stuff and nudity out of Ride Reports. Many riders invite family members and work colleagues, to name just a few, to view their reports. Please don’t offend them. Many of us also, ahem, view these reports from work, please don’t get any of us in trouble by violating our workplace’s rules. If you want to be naughty, do it in Jo Momma.
• If you enjoy someone else's report and would like to make some positive comments or ask questions, please do so. But don’t step on a person’s report with a 100 pic reply of the time “I was there, too!” Certainly, a response with a pic or two can build on someone’s report. But much more than that and you should be writing your own report. And remember, if you have nothing nice to say , or face the consequences .
• Don’t disrupt a person’s report with personal attacks. If you’ve got a beef with the author, discuss it using Private Messaging, or if you must, post it in Jo Momma. We promise you’ll get an impartial reception by 40 thousand very articulate inmates there. Pissing matches will not be tolerated. You puke, we nuke
2. It’s about Motorcycle Ride Reports, ok?
• Not about car, truck, train, quad, snowmobile, airplane, helicopter, bicycle, ski, skateboard, walking, jogging, business trips, pets, or animals. Did we miss any? If you’ve got some of these, post ‘em in Jo Momma: Shiny Things forum, that’s where the Fluff goes.
• Ride reports ought to be personal, not a copy and pasted link to someone else's report or site.
• Ride reports in the Ride Reports forum should have a beginning and an end. Let the Original Poster tell his/her story, it's his ride report and it's his observations to make as he perceives them. If you don't like it, don't read it. Inappropriate off-topic idle banter will be pruned and punted at our discretion. Never ending threads are considered personal weblogs (blogs) and will be moved to a more appropriate forum.
We invite you to visit the Inmates forum if you wish to post a blog, where you and your viewers may indulge in personal details, idle banter and drivel.
• Don’t start threads asking about trip or destination information. “What’s a good hotel in…” or “Do you know of a motorcycle tour operator or motorcycle rental in…” These belong in the appropriate Regional Forums or the Trip Planning forum. If you post these here, we’ll move them. If you're looking for riders to join you on a planned trip, or looking to meet local ADVers, go to the Regional Forums and select the forum for your area.
• Do not ask for cash donations in your ride report, regardless of the cause. Your ride report should be all about sharing your travels, not a means to obtain funding for your ride or project.
Everything we’ve listed is mere common sense and politeness. But because the Ride Reports forum is so important to AdvRider, the Moderators will take a Zero Tolerance attitude towards these violations. We will edit, prune, delete, and / or move individual replies or even entire threads.
And let's not forget this one: Mod decisions are final, don't whine about it.
These 4 basic rules apply in all forums:
1. No pimping your stuff outside of Vendors. A simple, regular sized (size 2) link in your signature line is OK, but that's it.
2. No personal threats or threats against political figures.
3. No porn! (No nips or genitalia. Must be wearing an article of clothing.)
4. Be civil. Don't be an asshat and harsh the ADVenture for others.
Breaking the rulz can result in loss of access to some or all of ADV forums. All Mod decisions are final.
If you see something that doesn't belong here or violates the posted rules, click on the Report This link and let us deal with it.
Everyone really appreciates the time and effort required to create and post all of your reports. You reinforce the wonder of why we ride, and help to make this place the best motorcycle forum in the world.
ADVrider Site Wide Forum Rules
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
ADVrider was created to support the horizon-chasing adventure motorcycling community. Because of that, we support free-wheeling thinking, great pictures and stories, those who aren't afraid to turn a wrench (and those who have turned them with trepidation), and riders who respect the diversity that makes the planet worth traveling.
With a diverse list of inmates from around the world, there are going to be diverse viewpoints, and thus a need to keep things from spiraling out of control from time to time when the keyboards occasionally get more attention than the bikes. We've created some rules to keep things civil and thoughtful without making the site a bore.
With these things in mind, read on...
Here's how to make your stay here at ADVrider a pleasant one.
1.Respect both forum moderators and administrators. It is a thankless job that they do, and cleaning up other people’s messes is never fun.
2. Post to the forum that is most appropriate for the topic being presented. Each forum has a sticky that explains the purpose and rules. Look at the top of each forum.
3. No cross-posting. (This is posting the same topic in more than one forum) However, there are times when it's okay to do so with the permission of a mod, or if it's explicitly permitted in the rules of a forum.
4. Observe all copyright laws.
5. Lurk before you leap
6. Think before you hit “reply”. Re-read it. Your posts live on forever in search engine servers. Remember that we're all in this together.
7. Answers to common questions can be found in the "Ask Baldy, Blame AceRph" forum, including such classics as "how do I post a pic" and "how do I change my User Name?".
8. If you need help, contact a mod/admin or two or three. You can find the list here. Just find one that's on-duty if you can't get to a particular forum mod.
9. If for some reason your post got moved or you find yourself under the banhammer, go back and read the forum rules. You can always find your recent posts by going to your Control Panel if you don't know where something got moved.
10. If yours is the last post and you want to add more info, consider editing it instead of adding another reply.
11. Don't rip off the ADV logo. There are authorized vendors in the Vendor section if you want to buy stickers, T-shirts, flags, and other goodies.
THE BIG RULES:
These are the site-wide rules. You can count on them to be in place always, no matter what forum you are in. Violation of these rules is grounds for the IMMEDIATE banning of your account. If you think we’re kidding, think again.
1. Harassing, intimidating or threatening other members is a no go.
2. Attacking family members means a quick exit.
3. Threatening a public official means instaban.
4. Private Messages are Private. Post someone's PM and you're gone.
5. Posting private information about someone will get you banned. You may not publish or post other people's private and confidential information—their phone number, where they live, and so on - without their consent.
6. No posting of pornographic or objectionable/inappropriate material.
7. Don't screw with the site. No rickrolls, autoplay videos, malicious code, spammy hijacking, or anything that disrupts the the site's functionality. Animated gifs are okay. If you inadvertently screw the pooch with a post that causes fail, contact a mod.
8. No multiple user ID's. Fake n00bs, aka Multiple User IDs, are, except in exceptional circumstances, merged with the originator. Or both IDs may be banned. Try and sign up as a fake n00b while you are banned, and your temporary time-out might become permanent. If you are trying to change your user name, go to the thread in the Ask Baldy, Blame AceRph forum.
9. No Spam. Selling your own junk is cool but limited to the Flea Market. Selling multiple items of the same product is considered a sale by vendor, so Vendor forum. Soliciting inmates via Private Message is spam. If it's not related to motorcycling, it's spam. If we see it we nuke it and probably you.
10. Read each forum's rules before posting. Really. Do it. It only takes a minute. Some forums are moderated fairly tightly in order to keep things from going sideways quickly.
11. No profanity in thread titles, sig lines, or your user title.
12. No forum wars. If you have beefs with inmates in other forums, this isn't the place to air them out.
13. No mod baiting. Whether it's in the forum or in PM's to the staff here, being an arse may earn you some vacation time or a permaban.
Time-outs, Vacations, and the Banhammer
How the Banhammer drops around here:
The software upgrade has a new feature allowing the moderators to issue infractions as warnings before the Banhammer falls. Occasionally infractions will get bypassed and the Banhammer will strike.
If you think someone should be under the banhammer:
Please consider whether a post really is in violation of the rules before hitting the “report” (“blame”) button. When we get it, the mod squad will decide what action, if any, is needed. Whining is a drag, but giving us a heads-up on a post that has problems is always welcome.
If you're getting the hint that you might be under the banhammer:
In many forums the inmates who have been here for a while will be helpful and give you hints--some subtle, some not--on how to avoid getting into trouble. Listen to them. Everyone here has a vested interest in keeping the site running smoothly. If someone suggests you should change your Flea Market post, pay attention. If someone suggests that what you've posted in JoMomma is about to get you banned, think hard about editing your post.
If you've found yourself on the wrong side of the banhammer:
Rules infractions can result in anything from a day or few days off to cool off, to long or permanent bans. You will lose your subscriptions if you are banned. If for some remote reason you think the mods have made a mistake, you can contact someone at the site via the Yo button at the bottom of any page.
If your best buddy is under the banhammer:
Don't start threads to "Free __________". Unless you want to join your buddy in Banned Camp.
We take this stuff seriously.
Do not post copyrighted material. Links to service manuals, illegal .mp3 downloads, etc. will be deleted, and you will be banned.
If you believe that your copyrighted material appears on this site, you should notify us by clicking the "Report this Post" button.
Please be specific with your copyright claim.
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here