Favorite dealers (motorcycle) around Boulder

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by ibeme1, Dec 3, 2012.

1. ibeme1

ibeme1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any motorcycle dealer recommendations around the Boulder area? I would like to find a place that specializes in dual sport riding.

I may be going to Sun Enterprises to have some new sneakers installed on my XR400 unless you have recommend somewhere different. :D
  2. norton(kel)

norton(kel) Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rocky Mtn Kawasaki Longmont on 119
  3. ColoSean

ColoSean Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer:
  4. 602

602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are willing to drive north to MotoAdventure in Loveland, you will not be disappointed. Everyone that works there will treat you great. Good competitive prices and unparallelled customer service. I have a friend who is preparing for an around the world trip and MotoAdventure has been his goto source for parts and knowledge.
  5. Wannabeeuro

Wannabeeuro Tuner chic

Oddometer:
    Don't waste your time going to Mikes. He doesn't stock anything Dual Sport and will only give you attitude if you ask him about it.
  6. PrairieRider

PrairieRider Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer:
    +10 Bruce and his crew are very helpful and parts ordering is prompt.
  7. Osprey!

Osprey! a.k.a. Opie Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1.

I've made two attempts to do business with Mikes. Neither went well and I felt I was treated rudely. I didn't need a third strike. The first attempt was to get a service history on my bike as they were the ones that supposedly did a lot of work on it from the prior owners. I was told to take a hike and they missed a huge opportunity to earn a customer. I spent several hundred with Pete Homan instead. Second attempt was a walk in to check out their gear for sale. It was like I didn't exist. Very negative experiences.

Colorado Powersports on 55th OK. Their mechanics were very accommodating when I needed to swap out shims on my K75. Sales staff is friendly enough though not particularly knowledgeable. Best to treat as order takers, only. I've bought parts and gear from them several times - probably close to $1,300 worth. I also bought my KLR from them. Mildly positive opinion.

Beemers and More. I checked out a F650GS there a few years ago. They were OK but didn't go beyond in any meaningful fashion. Neutral opinion. I'd give them another try.

BMW of Denver have always been very responsive at the parts counter. The sales staff were always friendly and never pushy. I haven't used their service department. I would gladly go there again for parts or to buy a bike - positive opinion.

Bavarian West - Pete Homan. I had him do a few things on my K75, mostly just routine maintenance work. He forgot to tighten a few non critical bolts, but his lack of attention to detail didn't impress me. I'm not crazy about my exhaust popping loose a couple days after the bike was in his shop, as I'm cruising down I-25. I called him to let him know. That experience is why I strongly prefer to do my work. At least if I screw it up, I'm fully accountable for the mistake, unlike Pete. Negative opinion.

Woody's. I've bought a few sets of tires from Woody and had them install front wheel bearings on my K. The tire experiences were OK but they screwed up the wheel bearings. HOWEVER, they followed up and made it right. I was actually very impressed with their willingness to make it right, unlike others who are reluctant to even admit to a mistake much less make the effort to correct it. Positive experience.
  8. Wannabeeuro

Wannabeeuro Tuner chic

Oddometer:
    and here I thought that Mike was just rude to me because I wasn't riding a beemer....
  9. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, and MotoAdventure has jets and other carb parts, as well as some valve shims, in stock.

Sisneros Speed Works in Dacono might be worth a try. Eddie is the DRZ guru, but his shop will work on any bike. He rebuilt the rear shock for my green DRZ, recharged it, and sold me a new spring for a very reasonable price. I'm happy.
  10. ibeme1

ibeme1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone. Have any of you done business with Sun Enterprises?
  11. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a new XR70 for my daugher in 2003. It was one of their advertised specials, but I was able to get it at the newspaper price, with no hassles, and without dealer prep or other ripoffs that some dealers tend to add. It was a good deal, since I sold it for $200 less than I paid for it (including tax) 3 years later.

I have bought some other low dollar parts from them, but have never used their service department.
  12. Osprey!

Osprey! a.k.a. Opie Supporter

Oddometer:
    The attitude was like I was somehow interrupting their real work by talking to them. It's almost like they didn't realize I was there to spend money. I don't know how they stay in business, frankly. I guess there just aren't many options in Boulder.
  13. Wentjo

Wentjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had pretty good luck at Sun in every dept. Service dept was great as well, they don't seem to want to sell you something you don't need.
  14. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experiences with shops since being out in CO have been the following:

RM Kawi - Longmont - Ordered new Jets for my suzuki GS500 to tune for alititude. Ordered the jets, waited a week, installed bike didnt run. Took to Eddie for tuning and was told the jets were the wrong style and there would be no way for it to run right with the jets RMK provided.

Eddie / Epic Motosports / Sienseros Speedworks - Awesome experiences, took my GS500 there for tuning, he found a bunch of other issues and fixed them even using junkyard parts (the bike was an 89). Also took my DRZ400 there for tuning, never run better! Not cheap, but good experiences and timely considering the volume of internet business that also leaves the door.

Colorado Powersports - Went in there once for a DRZ airfilter, which was not in stock. No other dealings with them.

I have had great experiences with HDB & Wolfman but they arent really dealers / shops.
  15. ColoSean

ColoSean Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer:
    Bummer to hear about Mikes in Boulder. Hate to hear about local business' being that way. Thanks for setting me straight. :beer
  16. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before my last trip I shopped in vain around Boulder for the gear I wanted and ended up at Performance and Moto Gear in Denver, where the service is usually excellent and prices usually at internet prices.
    RMK in Longmont: I've purchased oil filters and such but, that's it. They did have some good prices on low-end riding gear.
    Mikes: Not much inventory on the floor, nothing I was interested in, I was ignored while I was there.
    Colorado Powersports in Boulder: I buy oil filters from them. Always friendly service at the parts counter.
    Epic: Screwed up a simple job and I needed to chase after them to fix it. No apology or recognition of the inconvenience. Sort of an adolescent feel to the place, IMHO. Did a great job of straightening out a carburetor issue I had.
    Some gear can be had at Wolfman Luggage in Longmont.
    I need to pay a visit to that place in Loveland.
  17. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there not a BMW dealer in FC that you should insect and buy their high end helmets? :ear

Excellent thread.
  18. ibeme1

ibeme1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone, you guys/girls are great :clap
  19. beernutt

beernutt This space for rent

Oddometer:
    Set of tire irons - $25
    1 hour of your time - ???
    Learning how to change you own tires - well, you know.

A second or third opinion about Mike's Motorcycle in Boulder - not the friendliest place but Mike is a good guy at heart. (his wife, not so sure...) He's talked me through some issues with my R80 and even if it's not the chummiest experience I still buy my BMW expendable parts (filters, gaskets, seals etc) there. Buy local, spend local, save local.
  20. Performance Cycle

Performance Cycle 303-744-2011

Oddometer:
    Love it! :)