2HE KLR650 clutch arm mod

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Twin headlight Ernie, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    Here's a picture of the 2HE clutch arm mod now available to the KLR650 owners of the ADV community. The stock factory arm is on the left and the 2HE clutch arm mod is on the right. The added length of the modded arm decreases the effort at the clutch lever, reducing fatique and makes the clutch much easier to operate. This mod works on both the new and old generation KLR650's. I have had this mod on my own KLR for 4 years now and consider it to be the best bang for the buck mod on the bike. If you've ever thought about a hydraulic clutch kit for your KLR this is a much less expensive solution. Cost is $35.00 plus exchange of your old clutch arm in good working condition.
    You can reach me at: dakotabeemer@hotmail.com
    More products and pictures can be seen on my smugmug at: www.twinheadlighternie.smugmug.com
    Thanks for your support. 2HE

[​IMG]
  2. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am definitely interested. How hard is it to install? Do you have installation instructions?
  3. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Hi Thraan,
    The clutch arm is a very easy installation. Remove the cable at the clutch arm. Clean the area around the shaft seal so no dirt drops in. Rotate the clutch arm counterclockwise about a 1/4 turn and it will lift right out. Install the new arm and readjust the cable to spec. It's about as simple as it gets.
    Thanks for asking. 2HE
  4. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet! I will talk to a buddy here who also has a KLR and see if he wants one too.

Thanks!
  5. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    2HE- First off, kudos for stepping up on producing this mod. I've wanted one for years.

Second, a proposition... Are you willing to discount the purchase price if I send you 2 "cores" and only expect one in return? I figure you could use a couple extra for inventory purposes.

Thanks in advance.
  6. R_W

R_W wannabe

Oddometer:
    That's it??? and I have ignored my slowly leaking seal :baldy

Is there any adjustment to the cable mount?
  7. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Hey DirtyDog, Sounds like good plan. Sent you a PM

Hey RW, The arm itself is the same as the stock one only a touch longer to decrease the effort needed. The adjustment comes at both ends of the clutch cable. Just adjust it the same way as the stock arm. (with a touch of free play at the lever) This is also a good time to lube or replace the cable and lube the pivot at the clutch lever. 2HE
  8. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Just a quick note to let Sean know that his KLR clutch arm went out this morning. Please let me know how it works out for you. Thanks. Ernie
  9. Armacham

Armacham I Voted for Kodos!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this great product Ernie. I didn't really buy it for the reduced effort, although that is a bonus. My favorite part is that it makes the friction zone about a mile wide. I can't wait to see how this helps me on the slow stuff. I have a feeling that this mod + a 14tooth front sprocket could help the KLR really go places.

Installation was a cinch. I did have to slight adjust the angle of the adjustment guide that is bolted to the engine, so that the cable wasn't rubbing.

Also the rear master cylinder cover looks great! :clap
  10. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good report Armacham. The extra wide friction zone comes in handy when climbing hills and in the rough stuff. I hope it serves you well. Thanks again. Ernie
  11. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Just a note to thank the guys for sending back the clutch arm cores in short order. I have two arms on hand ready to go. 2HE
  12. revmaaatin

revmaaatin Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer:
    Ernie,
    What a great idea!
    Looked at your other items as well--how many watts are you drawing with both big lights on, plus the pia = all the lights on? Do you describe this mod somewhere else, etc?
    revmaaatin.
  13. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    I've made a ton of mods to my KLR and the clutch arm mod is still my favorite. Best bang for the buck mod ever. I get a lot of complements on it.

My headlight setup has a 35 watt H4 bulb on one side and a HID on the other. The Piaa aux lights are 35 watt each as well. I added relays to all the lighting systems. I installed a LED voltage system monitor to help keep an eye on things. No problems even with the stock charging system. I really enjoy the extra light. It makes it more fun to ride at night. 2HE
  14. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Another klr clutch arm mod is on the way to CJ. Thanks. Ernie
  15. intotheabis

intotheabis High on life!

Oddometer:
    Hey Ernie, installed the clutch arm yesterday and took her for a boot. At first I thought the cable was broken!, WOW what a difference!
    Thanks very much and keep up the good work!:clap
  16. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you like the new modded clutch arm. One customer quoted me. " It lightens up the the clutch pull by about 30% and makes he friction zone a mile wide." I modded the hell out of my own KLR and this is still the best bang for the buck mod I have. 2HE
  17. element6

element6 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    2H E, have you got one of these available? Paypal OK?
    Thanks,
    Dave

18. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    I'll try to keep two or three of the modded arm on hand. They have been a very good seller. Thanks for the complements. 2HE
  19. jagaren

jagaren KLR addict

Oddometer:
    Not being a skilled welder, I thought I would have to forego this mod. Twinheadlighternie has a great product. It has really helped my slow speed maneuvering -- especially while commuting. I highly recommend this mod to anyone who wants more control of their bike.
  20. kewlbyme

kewlbyme Occasional Partaker

Oddometer:
    KLRCary (RIP) did this for me when I did my 705 upgrade years ago. I got one of the early kits, and Cary allowed for the increased power possibly overcoming the stock clutch springs. He suggested the heavy duty clutch springs and did this mod to compensate for the stiffer pull.

I highly recommend this mod, whether you have stock or heavy duty clutch springs. It just make it work better. Price is very reasonable, too.

Good luck!