Ducati Hyperstrada!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by DeedsyDragon, Nov 12, 2012.

1. DeedsyDragon

DeedsyDragon Moto Dragon

Oddometer:
    Multistrada Junior! Seems like the perfect competitor to KTMs 990 SMT. I can honestly say I've been wishing for Ducati to make this bike. It's pretty much the MTS1200 without the electronic mumbo-jumbo and a smaller motor. It's a tad on the ugly side, but nothing I can't live with! Buy one in the US for around $13k. Thoughts? :ear

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2013-ducati-hyperstrada-13295-ready-tour/

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0otWAuzi1LY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
    Beeee likes this.
  2. MCGMB

MCGMB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you're right on in that it's a competitor to the SMT, though I think it'll have an even broader appeal based on the brand name.

Have to say, I like the looks of it in motion from that vid than I do from stanstill. Looks like it has a bit less suspension travel than the Hypermotard, and less still than the SP. I'd prefer more than less, but seems to have enough to do the intended job.

I like the bike, though don't love it like other Ducati models.
  3. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's got a 4.2 gallon (US) tank ... do you think that can squeeze out 200+ miles with the new motor? After an embarrassing moment a few weeks ago in Nevada on my Monster, I realize that my WeeStrom's 250 mile range has spoiled me. My perception is that the 990SMT can do that easily. 200 mile range is really a necessity here in the Western US.

Otherwise I agree with the OP ... seems like a good set of features, even though it's a lot uglier than the Terblanche Hyper.

-dman
  4. tpulls

tpulls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I've read this isn't the case. Under conservative riding the indicator comes on at around 140 miles and you're good for maybe another 20 miles after that. The LC8 in the 990 is quite thirsty.

I'm curious how this hyperstrada does in this department as well.
  5. JJGeo

JJGeo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    200 miles can be done on an SMT. Mine always got about 42 mpg on the highway. Never saw the fuel light because I felt like stopping before it came on, but I made it over 175 miles several times. Didn't matter if it was twisties or slab...as long as it wasn't stop and go. It's range is just fine for the western US. I did Seattle to Salt Lake via the great roads of central Oregon (i.e. lots of middle of nowhere riding), and Seattle to Monterey.

In town is a different story...SMT only gets about 30-35 mpg. Light would come on around 120 miles.

I really have no idea why someone would buy this over an SMT, unless there wasn't a good dealer nearby.

I'd expect the Hyperstrada to get about 175 out of a tank. 16L really is too small for a bike aimed at touring.

...and saying it's "a tad on the ugly side" is a severe understatement! :roflI can't believe they made the beak longer!! :lol3
  6. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't need to own one. I'd like to rent one for two weeks to ride in Italy. I'll have the blonde also. Seems like a package deal.
  7. TTTom

TTTom some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    note the valve service interval, now over 18,000 miles / 30,000 kilometers
  8. tpulls

tpulls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not? I'm curious as I'm actually deciding between the two provided I can wait for the Hyperstrada. I'm inclined to break it down like this:

Fuel range - Tie. Even with the smaller tank on the Hyper, lets just assume they have equal fuel range.
    Horsepower - Tie (although LC8 is more 'fun' I'd imagine)
    Maintenance - Hyper (18K valve checks? Hell yes)
    Suspension - SMT (it doesn't look like the front is adjustable at all on the Hyper?)
    Features - Hyper. Riding modes, traction control, better instrument panel.
    Price - Hyper (slightly)

Honestly if the suspension was a bit better on the Hyper it would seem like an easy decision. Looking forward to hearing your opinion though.
  9. zooomgovroom

zooomgovroom hooligan-esque

Oddometer:
    features to the Duc?...really?....all of those modes and TC are already installed in my right hand to brain connection...sorry!...instrument panel is debatable based on what you want to see, but for me, a low fuel light and the general odometer goodness is all you need, because you should be paying more attention to the road than to the cluster.

Price to the Hyper?...I feel you get alot more bike for the money in the SM-T over the hyper...sorry

Tie on the fuel range I wouldn't even begin to compare as that is wholly dependant on the user and their right hand...I admit with my SM-T that I get more giggles the more I twist and it just eggs me on and begs me to do so, so the important factor might be smiles per gallon, which sometimes is immeasurable.

HP-on paper the SM-T and the Hyper look like they are even, but that extra displacement makes up for some ooomph that I would bet isn't there in the Duc...see the old adage of "no replacement for displacement"....I am sure the technology is there for the Duc to give the power, but how and where?
  10. JJGeo

JJGeo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Handling - SMT by a mile (assuming the Hyper handles similar to the existing HYM). I've ridden the existing Hyper and SMT quite a bit, and the SMT is so easy to ride it is ridiculous. This is really my biggest factor.
    Looks - SMT, by a mile and a half this time.
    Fuel Range - With an extra 3L, I gotta think the SMT will do better on the hwy, but a tie is probably reasonable.
    Luggage - Both stock versions seem pretty lame (SMT is for sure). Aftermarket is available now for SMT.
    Features - I'd say Tie. Granted the Hyper has more electronic features, but riding modes, traction control are all unnecessary for a bike with about 100 rwhp. It's just something else to break. The SMT has an easy to read tach. and speedo, which is all I really care about. It's a motorcycle.
    Availability - SMT currently available used, or at discount for left overs.

I'm biased because I really liked my SMT. I probably shouldn't have sold it, but I did because I don't have the time to go on long trips, and a 3-year old son has stopped me from commuting on the bike. Like I said above though, the main reason is handling, with looks also being important. The SMT is the best handling street bike I've ever ridden, by quite a margin...and I've owned several Ducatis, and am a big fan of Ducati. Maintenance is the only place I'll give the Ducati the nod, although, how reliable are the latest generation Ducati 4-V motors turning out to be?
  11. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    No thanks. Ducati lost the plot when they started catering to every minor segment and parting with their air cooled lumps (upcoming Hyper). Throw in the shaky, weird quality issues of late and I'm out.

Looks like I'm not alone in saying that if I'm considering this segment, I'm going orange.
  12. Glenngineer

Glenngineer Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer:
    So, so ugly. Probably super fun, but I can't get passionate about anything that fugly.
  13. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    It's an Italian NC700X!
  14. tpulls

tpulls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Handling is also a big factor for me too. The question is, just how much worse will the new Hyperstrada be?
    The luggage on the Hyper looks a bit bigger than the SMT's. What is the combined liter capacity of the stock SMT bags?
    Looks are subjective and I prefer the Hyperstrada. It looks more 'filled in' and I've always liked single sided swingarms.
    Features, I personally wouldn't mind DTC on a cold rainy morning. I see your point that the power modes might be a little excessive with only 100HP.
    I wonder if the Hyper has a hydraulic clutch like the SMT. Probably not.
  15. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    I thought it was said to have a cable operated clutch.............:huh
  16. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    You have spent a good bit of seat time aboard a Hyperstrada?

How did you manage that?
  17. tpulls

tpulls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gotta say I was wondering the same. I think a brand new model is bound to handle differently than previous years Hypermotards even.
  18. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Me too. But in the end it really is just a slightly more touring friendly Hypermotard anyway, right? So a comparison of the latest HM and the SMT may still be pretty relevant. I've never ridden either, but did have a SM and I bet the SMT is pretty close to that. Although I would like to hear from someone that's familiar with all three. Then how does the Rivale fit in the picture? Damn, I don't want to want a new bike!
  19. JJGeo

JJGeo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming it's very similar to the Hypermotard. I doubt they handle much different, but I guess they could.
  20. JJGeo

JJGeo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There isn't anything wrong with how the Hypermotard (and assuming the new Hyperstrada) handles, I just think the SMT handles a lot better. I think it handles a lot better than the MTS1200 as well. It's just a very easy bike to ride.

The stock SMT luggage isn't very good. The HMT doesn't look very good either, but who knows...no one has seen it in the flesh yet.

I agree on the SSS...I think all bikes should come with them.