Talk to me about the F700GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Anion Gap, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Anion Gap

Anion Gap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is unfortunately another "which bike" thread. I'll not make the purchase before I ride each, so that's not the issue. I'm just not familiar with whatever it is that makes GSs such an enthusiast bike.

I'm looking at the F800R and the F700GS. I want a daily/commute rider, but I also travel regionally for work and would love to be able to strap some bags on and take a road trip in order to avoid the airport. I don't need a wheelie machine but I want to have more power than the cars on the interstate that are currently passing me in my '75 R75/6.

Thoughts about the 700? I don't much care about offroad. It may see a gravel driveway a few points in its life but I'm not looking for a dirt bike. My biggest concern is potential resale. GSs seem to hold their value, and folks can't seem to get rid of their 800Rs.

Other priorities are fuel mileage, luggage, and daily enjoyment. I'd like to be able to tuck down from time to time and go.

Any insight is very welcome.
  2. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    moe.ron could answer this question very well...he had a F800R and got rid for the F700GS...never seen him happier
  3. Flashdog

Flashdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 700 is the perfect bike for me. As a person with serious spine/leg issues I needed a bike that was light weight, long travel suspension, ABS, reasonably priced, the right ergonomics, hard luggage options, good range, and of course, looked good.
  4. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    You have almost answered your own question. UpST8 is right I have never been happier. I think it is the best bike I have ever had.

I spent a couple grand trying to make the 800R comfortable for ME and just couldn't do it. I put on a windshield, raised the bars, tried a couple different seats, none of them worth a damn. There were other things I bolted on but cant really remember everything. I just could not get comfortable.

The 700GS was a good fit for ME right off the showroom floor, all I added for comfort was a windshield to get the wind off my chest. I got it from Cee Bailey's for $120 and it screwed on in 5 minutes, there are even more choices now that some time has gone by. It is about the same height as the one on the 800GS.

I think it is a lot more comfortable, the pegs are set forward more, bars are a little higher, and you sit upright. On the 800R I was seated more towards a sport bike position, got hard on the wrists and knees pretty quick for an old guy like me. I have spent all day on it quite a few times with no issues, I could never do that on the 800R. Mine came with the comfort seat already on it, and it actually is comfortable.

I feel it has plenty of giddy-up for what it is and I have no problem overtaking traffic on the freeway, been up around a 100 MPH a time or two with no problem. I noticed hardly any difference in power between the 700GS, 800R and an 800GS I rode briefly last week. I went easy on the 800GS, it just had brand new tires installed and wasnt mine. We all ride different though and I don't ride like its a race every time I get on the bike. I feel it is geared well for both dirt and the street, I am however a complete off road novice. A more experienced dirt rider may have a different opinion.

There are far more accessories available for the 700 than the 800 because of its close relationship with the 650GS and 800GS. There is aftermarket luggage available for both but if you are going to stay with stock luggage and work it into the financing like I did, you will be happier with your choices for the 700. Stock luggage for the 800R is ugly as hell.

Mine is a daily rider and hopefully will be my commuter real soon. It gets 50-55 MPG depending on how its loaded and how much wrist I use. For your wants and needs I think its just about perfect. The GS decals do not mean you are required to take it off road, but you can. :evil

I love mine and while the 800R is a fine bike it wasnt right for me and I regret buying it.
  5. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    The biggest difference is the bike ergonomic...ie how you sit on the bike.

see www.cycle-ego.com plug in your data and see the result.

simple said the 700GS sit more upright....not so much weight on the wrists...foot pegs more forward.
    To me this is much more comfortable for long distance riding.

Clearly th 700GS has longer suspension travel...better for rough roads.

also there are tons and tons of farkles available for the 700/800gs.

When I desided I wanter to replace my R--RT with a lighter bike I looked seriously at the F800ST...took one for a 60 mile ride in the twisties....it is a great bike...but too much (for me) of a folded up, lots of weight on the wrists sitting position for long rides. I got on the F650GS and the ergos were perfect for me.

I added a good coverage wind screen (aeroflow) bags (jessie) and I've wandered around remote area quite a bit. Note 99.8% of my riding is on secondary and dirt roads...I seldom go truely off road ..a 500lb bike ..is just to heavy to do that again my opinion.

Love the 650GS
  6. battlecattle

battlecattle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the f800gs and love it but for a commuter and occasional trips and almost no dirt. f800r would be the perfect bike. I had the opportunity to ride one as a loaner and had a great time.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  7. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
  8. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Just curious, how long did you ride that loaner?
  9. battlecattle

battlecattle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sat, Sun, Monday. Biggest things I noticed (coming from dualsports), seating position, 17in front wheel, felt more powerful, street tires are awesome on road, not so great in rain.

I learned a lot about what I enjoy about my f800gs that weekend. My previous loaner was a Sprint 1050ST, I hated it.

Edit: My opinions, feel free to disagree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  10. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Was just curious to know how much time you spent on it. I spent 8K miles on mine, about 7K too many! :lol3 I was never real happy with it but didnt realize just how unhappy until I road the 700GS.

It wasn't even for sale when I sold it. I was trying to unload the 3rd seat I put on it and the guy wanted the whole bike. At that point the seat had already been sold, he answered an old ad. It had the stock seat on it when it left. When he and his wife came to pick it up they actually gave me a ride to the dealer to get my 700GS.

Like I said, the 800R is a fine bike, but I'm glad its gone.
  11. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have ya given any thought to the F800GT or the F800ST? Sounds like they might fit your need. The ST is discontinued in 2013 so there may be some good deals available on this model, both new and used.

Regards, Paul
  12. JGoody

JGoody Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for what used to be called a "standard" motorcycle then the F700GS is best. The F800R is a bit more crouched over -- similar position to the Ducati Monster.
  13. Danzo

Danzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had my 700gs a couple of months and just did the 600 mile run in service. Awesome bike. Great on twisty back roads, gravel, city. Today I did my first creek (shallow) crossing. Not too many of those where I live. Handled it like a piece of cake. :D
  14. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    My 800R was once referred to as a entry level sport bike.