2 Day - My Swinging Bridges Ride in Missouri

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bash3r, Oct 12, 2010.

1. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I adventured out on a 2 day journey to visit some early 1900s bridges, wire suspension(swinging), old train trestle & a old truss bridge in central Missouri. The Swinging Bridges Ride is a very popular annual ride here in the midwest, I believe in May of this year there were over 100 riders that attended. Unfortunately I was unable to make the ride this year so I planned my own solo SBR trip.

Due to time constraints I modified the route up a bit from the signature SBR route, but it was still amazing riding both days.

My route - 482 miles
    [​IMG]

Day 1 included some great country & forest roads, lunch at the great Bixby store, an old trestle bridge, then ending the day at camp by the lake.

Day 1 - "Lets Ride"
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/15746277?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="601" height="338" frameborder="0"></iframe>

If you are wondering why I ride so slow over the slab creek crossings, well, if you are from the midwest, I don’t have to tell you why. But if you aren’t from these parts, those things are death. We call them slime crossings, or slip-n’ slides, or snotways… they are the most slippery things you'll every ride on.. even worse than ice, in my opinion!

After a great day of riding, a good meal and a good nights sleep at camp, I was up early and just giggling to see these bridges. This is the first time I've rode this ride and there's just so much history to enjoy here. These guys who just ride fast, fly through routes and miss all the good stuff, don't stop to take a photo or anything, are just plan crazy!!

As I rode across these structures, I just thought of the men in 1920s who built them, how they constructed them and if they even thought they would be a piece of history. I have to think they thought they were just providing a way across the creek but were very proud to do so. But to be still standing almost 100 years later.....

Day 2 - "The Bridges Home"
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/15756703?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="601" height="338" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Wow.. another amazing day of riding, here in my home state... there's so much more that I didn't include in the videos.. and so much more I didn't ride. I'm just saving it for next time...

This was a great ride and I can't wait to get out on another.. I've got one in the works, I just hope I can get it in before the weather turns on us!

If you are ever riding through this area, I encourage you to take a detour and check out these old historical bridges before they are gone....

:thumb
  2. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    :lurk :lurk

I could go through a box of microwave popcorn watchin' those video-logs over and over. Thanks for sharing your heart with us!!!
    :clap
  3. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Nice videos of a great ride!

I too could not go on the May Swinging Bridges Ride so a lead a few friends on the ride at the end of July-beginning of Aug. It is a great route. I would recommend anybody in the MO area to give it a try.

Here are a few of my pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. ronb

ronb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a great post. Thanks for sharing. We stopped at the store in Bixby the weekend of September 25-26, doing some pavement riding. Had to introduce some friends to Highways PP and DD.

I recognized some of the places and roads you were on, when you got closer to Bourbon, Sullivan and St. Clair. I grew up in that area and really miss the backroads.

Any chance you have a .gpx file of your route?
  5. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Great photos!! That's one thing I didn't do enough of, I guess I thought since I had the helmet cam going.. but I now know.. do both!

I have much more riding to do.. I've been looking at making this trip into a 3-day ride, exploring more south and camping at some more remote locations. Its good riding! :thumb
  6. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Ours was a three day. If you have an interest here is a link to more I took. http://picasaweb.google.com/ajayhawkfan/2010July30Aug1SwingingBridgeRide#

Last year I also did a trip riding between many of largest springs and old grist mill in the state. There are lots of great places to visit in Southern MO!

The wheel at Turners Mill.

[​IMG]
  7. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Drop me a note with you email and I'll send you mine.
  8. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    No problem.. the .gpx is on here somewhere too.. but lots of us have it :D

The ladies at Bixby are top-notch, great people and good eats!
  9. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Oh. and street riders will enjoy a ride down to Bixby.. there was a group of them when I was there, real nice fellas from Ofallon, IL.... my WR is back there somewhere, ready to race these boys...... on gravel :D

[​IMG]
  10. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    I just checked out your website, very nice! :clap
  11. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Awesome ! Looks like I have to come out there one of these seasons. Unbelievable photography to Bill ! Looks 3d ! :clap
  12. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Thanks Frank.. and yes you do need to ride on down :deal
  13. TuRNeRBuRNeR

TuRNeRBuRNeR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great videos Basher !!!!
  14. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    This one is my fav from this ride..

[​IMG]
  15. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride!! Thanks for the pics and video... must be nice to have the trails all to yourself :thumb
  16. ThumperDRZ

ThumperDRZ Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer:
    Since Bill kicked up a little interest with these fantastic videos I thought I would give a little history and plans for 2011

2008 was the first year and we had about 60 riders....pictures at the end of the thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303915&highlight=swinging

2009 I think it was more like 80 riders

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423092&highlight=swinging

2010 - Lost count. People stayed all over town.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541465&highlight=swinging

2011 the ride will be the weekend of April 30th and May 1- Hope a bunch who see Bill's videos will join us on the ride. :thumb It is a good time. Look for info in January when the post comes up in the Regional Central Thread.