Odyssey PC310 battery for a KTM 640

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KTM640Dakar, Feb 4, 2006.

1. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the dry cell Odyssey PC310 battery in their KTM 640 Adventure? It is supposed to be vibration resistant and last ten years. They also recommend a special charger instead of a battery tender. Does anyone have any experience with these batties? Are they worth $118?
  2. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    i dont have a real answer for you but,, worth the money? i dont know its a pespective thing. i can tell you that about 7-8 yrs ago i dropped an optima in my landcruiser that may go a month or so between drives, never a battery tender or charge needed it has been worth every penny of the $130 i spent on it back then.

IMO when its time for a new batt on my bike, my money will go to optima, odyssey ect. not a lead acid.
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I thought the stock battery was over $100 (well, bought thru a KTM shop anyways) so for a bit more that doesn't seem to bad. How much are you paying for the old style battery?
  4. GODSPEED

GODSPEED finger lickin' good

Oddometer:
    118 yikes.

Try ebay.

Odyssey World

Motobatteries

They don't have the 310 listed right now, but keep checkin or contact Odyssey World. I bellieve they are a factory direct seller.

Most people that have installed them like them.
  5. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    I just started looking for a battery. They have maintence free batteries on ebay for $24 plus shipping that are Chinese. I was also wondering if anyone has tried to upsize their battery and what they did if it's possible.
  6. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I have an Odyssee on my Beemer sixfiddy. It gets shaken around just like it would on a properly used KTM. So far it has withstool all I threw at it (and all I threw myself against :eek1 ). Very sturdy, and you never have to worry about acid leaking from it when you gently lay you bike on its side again.

Imho worth it's money (and in my case it weighs half as much as the stock battery).
  7. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    I may try one next on my NX - would you believe that the Odyssey is actually half a pound heavier than a Yuasa though (5.9lb to 5.4lb) even though the Odyssey is slightly smaller in each dimension :lol3

One major benefit for my bike anyway, is that that Yuasa has 120 CCA, against the Odyssey at 310, so hopefully that would mean I'd have to use the kicker less :D
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, isn't everything made in China now? (don't know whether to laugh or cry about that one...)

Anywho, I have experience with putting, nay scratch that, with having a larger battery put into my brand spankin' new bike. Casper Mountain Motorsports in Wyoming thought that since Partz Limited sent them a battery that didn't fit into the battery box, why not tear the friggin' battery box out and stuff the bigger battery in there! :huh

To make an old story short, there are a couple of bolts under the box that were slowly wearing their way thru the battery housing when it was found barely in time.

Why do you need a larger battery?
  9. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    They seem to be less expensive than the little one that they put in it.

I just installed a voltage meter to watch the charging voltage of my bike and it would only charge 13.7 volts when running 5000 rpm. I figured a larger battery might help if there is room.
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    compact does have a premium...

I don't think there is more room, unless you could relocate (and rewire) the stuff sitting on top to somewhere else? :dunno
  11. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    So does anyone recommend a cheap source for Odyessy PC 310 bateries? Cheap being less than $118.
  12. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    Odyssey is a 6 to 10 year battery. My 1150GS has been running one for 4.5 years and is just starting to fatigue. Great stuff, and easily worth the $118. Couldn't find one for anything less than $120 on the web.

Enjoy the juice.
    Patrick
  13. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    Checked around and found someone local who has the odyssea PC310 in stock. Will report back findings, price, fitment for KTM LC4 640
  14. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    OK..heres the comparison the stock Yuasa is 150mm X 87mm X 93mm and the Odyssey is......................................................... 138mm X 86mm X101mm
    So assuming the 8mm extra height will fit, the odyssey fits nicely otherwise.
    The MSRP on the odyssey is 173.95 but, I see it everywhere on the net for a bit under 120.00 (circa 128.00 shipped). Not sure what my local retailer is asking. The yuasa usually retails for around 105 bucks but I see them on the net for 85.00 shipped.
    The Odyssey boasts 310 CCA for 5 seconds compared to the yuasas 190 CCA and the odyssey is considered a deep cycle battery. The odyssey is also 1.1 Pounds lighter than the Yuasa (5.9 Lbs compared to 7 Lbs) ---yeahaw! Odyssey claims a 6 year service life which is supposed to be three times longer than conventional batteries. Except for the slightly higher price the odyssey looks like the clear winner. Its also lighter than the 7 Lb Westco battery.
  15. StokelyVanCamp

StokelyVanCamp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Odyssey in my Dr. Big and love it, but another thing to consider is that apparently you cannot trickle charge the Odysseys. I haven't tried a trickle charger, but did buy a nice charger I found on sale that can throw a little more current at it. But it may factor in to the overall cost, if you have to get a charger as well. But for the record, it is still worth it in my books. I haven't had an issue starting the Dr. Big since I got it, even if it is really cool out and the bike has been sitting, and before I had hassles all the time, even with a brand new Yuasa
  16. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    I had heard the same thing about battery chargers and the Odyssey battery, particularly with regards to the Deltran float chargers. It appears to be a bit of a myth, at least when using them as "maintainers" rather than "rechargers". From the Odyssey site:

There is another class of chargers that is designed specifically to maintain the battery in a high state of charge. These chargers, such as the 1.25 amp Battery Tender® from Deltran are not capable of charging a deeply discharged ODYSSEY® battery. This is due to the fact that these chargers have very low output power. They should only be used either to continuously compensate for parasitic losses or to maintain a trickle charge on a fully charged stored battery.

Oh, and Stokely.... ya need an avatar [​IMG]
  17. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I never heard of anyone recharging ANY deeply discharged battery with a trickle charger... :scratch sure, I have been told to set the 'normal' charger to low output if you want a better charge on the battery (I guess high output charging does not condition the battery as well? :dunno). Is that what they mean about charging? They can't mean trickle charging a nearly discharged battery...

ps - nice of you to give him an avitar!

pps - i worry about the extra 8mm of height being a problem... stuff above the battery is pretty crammed in there. Awaiting an install report :lurk
  18. StokelyVanCamp

StokelyVanCamp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chris.
    That is truly fantastic.
  19. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM640, I cannot answer your question about the PC 310, but I can tell you I have used Odyssey batteries for many years, the best was in my R80 RT which was still good after 7 years of 20K miles per year of running. They are , as far as I am concerned, bullet proof, sealed, powder rather than gel, can be installed on it's side, back , what ever and can stand a ton of vibrations. Had one in my Honda XR400 R for 3 years before trading for my own Adv. R. I will install an Odyssey the moment the present battery even hints of being down.

I use the Battery Tender junior on all my sealed gel or powder batteries and have had nothing but success, not a single problem yet, this going on for at least ten to twelve years!!!!

The Westco may be a battery site to check out, they are , from my sources, made by Odyssey and may be a little less, so check 'em out. Also some shopping around may find you the one you need for some what less.

Contact me if you need more praise, I have had great success. Gale
  20. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Anyone? I may be in the market for a battery, and the Yuasa YTX9-BS (not a direct link) is "fine", but I do appreciate progress so I am looking at the following:

Odyssey PC310 which is 8mm taller than the Yuasa :uhoh (but a bit narrower)

WestCo 12V9-B that claims to be a direct replacement for the Yuasa.

Didn't find a replacement for the Yuasa made by the recommended Optima brand, but that just may require digging :dunno