Across Aus on a 625

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Pezza, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Pezza

Pezza Stop sookin, just ride it

Oddometer:
    The alarm went off at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:time Hour="4" Minute="30">4.30 am</st1:time>, it didn’t matter as I was already in the kitchen making coffee. I find it a little hard to sleep when about to embark on an adventure of the sort I had planned.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I had 2 months and a credit card so figured what better way to make the most of both than to go for a ride !
    [​IMG]

The decision of ‘where’ was quickly made, I rode to Cape York last time, there is a lot of central and west Australia I haven’t seen yet so a ride to the other side through the middle, keeping to as many dirt roads and tracks, sounded good to me !<o:p></o:p>
    After a few last minute details I had the front wheel pointing down the road at 6.00 am on a beautiful autumn morning with the thoughts of what lay ahead causing a massive grin under my helmet, even if it was only 4 deg c.

[​IMG]

After negotiating the Gatton – Clifton rd I pulled over in Clifton to try and rub some feeling back into my summer dirt glove shod hands and check that everything on the bike was the way I had put it, I was using different gear and a different bike to my last trip so figured it was gonna take me a little while before I found the best configuration.
    Half hr later I was tearing down the first of many dirt roads on the way to Goondiwindi.
    I had spoken to Ozmick a couple days earlier and we figured that after putting the 625 back to normal gearing and riding sensibly (that part could be a problem for me ! ) that I should get similar economy to his 640 adv, approx 17 km/lt.
    Well after having to tip the bike on it’s side 4 times to drain what little fuel was left in the 21 ltr tank to the tap side I rolled into the caltex G’windi exactly <st1:metricconverter ProductID="320 km">320 km</st1:metricconverter> later to realize that maybe I had overestimated my fuel economy, either that or I was having way too much fun on the dirt !
    So after filling both the tank and the 5 ltr drum in my side saddle, which I had left empty until this time, thinking I wouldn’t need it, I made my way towards Mungindi via Boomi.
    100 km’s west of G’windi I stopped to water some trees that looked a little dry and glanced over the bike to discover oil splatter all over the swingarm and rear end.

[​IMG]

Thinking I’d done a countershaft seal I remembered reading something about a similar incident happening to Ozmicks and Evildingoes 640 adv’s some months earlier, I figured a quick call to Mick was in order, “ Nah, she’ll be right mate, just nip it up and it’ll be all good” was the response I got. I knew the countershaft sprocket on the LC4’s is a bit dodgey, we ascertained this after a few of them came loose on the last wild boar ride, including mine, apparently there is a rubber o ring type seal behind the sprocket that can leak a little if the sprocket isn’t done up 100 % tight. I checked it <st1:metricconverter ProductID="50 km">50 km</st1:metricconverter> later and Mick was right, all was good.

This is the only “servo” in Boomi, credit/key card or no fuel. At least it’s 24 hrs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 50 k’s after Mungindi I turn right to follow the dirt into Lightning ridge from the east.
    [​IMG]

Upon entering Lightning Ridge, which is an opal mining town, there is what is called a “hot bore bath” that is fed from the Great Artesian Basin, which is like a massive underground ocean that supplies water for the majority of central Australia, this water comes to the surface at approximately 30 – 40 deg c and makes for a great hot bath that also has therapeutic qualities derived from the mineral content of the water.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So after soaking for an hour or so I made my way another <st1:metricconverter ProductID="30 km">30 km</st1:metricconverter> towards <st1:place><st1:placeName>Narran</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Lakes</st1:placeType></st1:place> to set up my first of many bush camps about 500 mtrs down a little used track for the end of day 1.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rickjames

rickjames RIP rickjames.

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Pezza

Oddometer:
    Ok, hang on a minute people, the pics on photobucket are a bit big for here, am in the process of reducing the size so it makes for easier viewing on here.
    Was halfway through doing this when Photobucket shut up shop for "site maintanance", good timing fella's. :ddog
    Will continue as soon as I can get back in and have done the next few.
  4. Pezza

Oddometer:
    Day 2.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Awoke to the sort of day that you dream about, cloudless sky, perfect temperature, time to go for a ride !<o:p></o:p>
    20km later I was back on the dirt.
    [​IMG]

<o:p>A few km later, after counting 19 kangaroo’s within a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:metricconverter ProductID="2 km">2 km</st1:metricconverter> stretch I decided it was time to slow down to about 80 kph purely for self preservation reasons.<o:p></o:p>
    The next couple of hrs was a pleasant ride through the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Narren</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Lakes</st1:placeType></st1:place> nature reserve towards Brewarrina.
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]

Upon arriving at brewarrina, which has a population of approx 1200, of which 80 – 90 % is indigenous Australian ( Aboriginal ), you cross a bridge beside which is a lovely park for travelers and locals alike.
    [​IMG]

<o:p>Noticing the roofless amenities block I decided to investigate further, </o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>And discovering this upon walking inside. :huh
    Luck I didn’t need ‘to go’ !

Seems the locals didn’t appreciate porcelain bowls.
    [​IMG]

Having been through this town before I planned it so I didn’t have to stop here for fuel, you gotta wonder about stopping in a town where every opening in every building has bars on them that make a goal seem like a holiday village.<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:metricconverter ProductID="100 km">100 km</st1:metricconverter> later lunch was had at the Bourke bakery.

A little ways out of town towards Wanaaring I see this loaded Dr 650 wobbling towards me, I pull over and have a chat with Peter from Ipswich, he is on his way home after a round trip to Birdsville, Innaminka and Tibooburra, I must have been too busy chatting as I forgot to get a pic of him.:baldy <o:p></o:p>

Stopping for fuel at Wanaaring I ended up talking to Ben, the attendant there, for about half hr, he is a big adventure bike fan and has many a story of bikes coming through his part of the world, one of particular interest was of ‘the longest day’ ride and some bloke called Tom Foster who reckoned he would have “come first if he didn’t have to ride sweep”. :huh

After I had my fill of adv bike stories and checked out the TBAM calendar on the wall I headed off down the ‘cut line’ towards Tibooburra.
    [​IMG]

There’s no complaining about mail boxes being too small out this way.
    [​IMG]

The tank beside this windmill had a mesh fence around the top of it to stop animals from falling in, unfortunately for the ones that did get in looking for water there was no coming back out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

About <st1:metricconverter ProductID="100 km">100 km</st1:metricconverter> west of T’burra I came across what could possibly be the reason why you don’t see too many BMW’s out this way. :evil
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I was about to enter The Sturt National Park where no fires are allowed I decided to set up camp <st1:metricconverter ProductID="50 km">50 km</st1:metricconverter> before T’burra, therefore just outside the national park.
    [​IMG]
    </o:p>
    </o:p>
  5. Steffo

Steffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. Dusty Rhodes

Dusty Rhodes Yowie Chaser

Oddometer:
    :type :lurk :slurp ::lurk :dutch :thumb
  7. philth

philth www.motorbikin.com.au

Oddometer:
    nice so far you rock chuckin son of a ....
  8. gricho

gricho Trust me its this way

Oddometer:
    Excellent so far Pezza, keep it coming. :clap
  9. kktos

kktos on a bright side of life

Oddometer:
    Good stuff in here !
    (and I've a bmw:lol3)

And thanxs for the informative thread's title. It helps me to pick ur amongst hundred ;)

/thierry
  10. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    Mate,

Thanks for giving me ichy feet.

Gotta get out there some time myself. On BMW's off course. :evil
  11. pugsley

pugsley Little Man

Oddometer:
    Keep it comin mate,great so far!
  12. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    Good shit Pezza :thumb

Keep it comming mate
  13. monkey

monkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It can become quite spooky out there in the Never-Never, the silence, those strange occurrences.

Weird stuff... like your footprints in the dust...how do you explain their direction....those prints show you walking towards the bike.
  14. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice one pezz, hurry up and post some more pics.
  15. Pezza

Oddometer:
    Maaaaate, was sorta hopin you'd forgotten bout that by now. :augie :D
  16. Uncle_Dave

Uncle_Dave Outback Traveller

Oddometer:
    Great riding out that way Pezza, I just came back from Tibooburra 2 weeks ago on my BMW no less! :eek1 Hehe

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your journey. Keep it coming! :clap

Subscribed......

Cheers,
    Dave.
  17. rowdy_im

rowdy_im You only die once ,so make the most of living..

Oddometer:
    great work

looking out for more

take care

Rowdy:beer
  18. edgy

edgy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet rr so far mate....more?
  19. RockerC

RockerC Fuck Piece & Quiet

Oddometer: