Rally West Virginia 2012

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Stagehand, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Just got an email informing me the date is now July 27-28, 2012, at Snowshoe Mountain.

I had a really good time, last year: D I dont think I can repeat the performance, but it will be fun to try. :freaky

www.rallywv.com
  2. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    I think we will be there this year:
    [​IMG]
  3. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    I've never done a motorcycle race in my life, but this one has been standing in my backyard taunting me for the last 2 years. It looks awesome. I'm hoping to try it this year! :ricky
  4. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll put this on my calendar and hope to make it. I have yet to run in Rally West Virginia. I like the timing of this event.
  5. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    There were definitely a few rough edges last year. I hope they get them sorted out. The roads were pretty cool, though. Some of it got canned at the last minute (one of the rough edges) and we ended up with a 20 mile stage through a timber company's land, private road, so not much chance of oncoming :D 20 miles is a nice distance. A lot can happen. Ran it four or five times forward and reverse.

Officially, a lot of things were sub par but I really hope they pull it together, it has great potential.
  6. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    It's on my calendar. I'll be there if it's on. So far, sounds promising. It sounds like the organizers could learn from last year, which I don't doubt they have.

Here's to a great RWV!

dc
  7. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Make sure you have a crew or someone keeping tabs on you. The area is in a no cell area, because of the radio telescopes at the near by research center.
    If you get stuck in the bush, nobody will know where you are and you won't be able to call. Handheld HAM might be a good idea.
  8. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    Snowshoe has some cell reception, though you may have to stand on a big pile of dirt in the parking lot to find it. SPOT trackers and the like still work out here.
  9. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try this one this year. Turn signals and brake light being installed on the XR as we speak along with a motor "chech up" (Thanks Combustion Cycles!).
    Without wanting to start a tire debate I have 606's mounted now. Speak up if they are not appropriate.I may not listen anyway cause the wallet will make the call at the time :D
  10. jonnykilo

jonnykilo Viator

Oddometer:
    Sweet. Looking forward to it.
  11. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    I think I was able to get a signal in the big parking lot up top but nothing on the stages. When I had the mechanical breakdown, my Wife was freaking out, She could see the scoring but had no other information. I was there alone. Fortunately Dave, Christian and Jason rescued me about 4am after hearing from the rally people that I was stuck in the middle of the stage.
    I was getting ready to start walking back to the resort which was about 15 miles away:lol3

The one stage road was really nice though, the surface was good and the terrain had just enough elevation changes without being overly technical about it.
  12. kpt4321

kpt4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is much more convenient to me than Sandblast was. I stuck it on my calendar, it's a ways out but I'd really like to run this!
  13. johnson357

johnson357 Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer:
    Maybe they should get a sweep rider like they do in Harescrambles at some of the tracks.....would be a good way to get more volunteers......also what are these roads like...is this mostly grave? Do you have to have leathers?
  14. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    :super
  15. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Its essentially like Black River. Gravel/hardpack. More elevation, though, but regardless- no leathers just regular gear.
    There is a sweep truck, or combo and heavy sweep in theory, just like other rallies. THis one slipped through the cracks, unfortunately.

I pretty much have 606's on permanent install :D
  16. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    As others said, 606s rock for this area. I use them on my GS exclusively. I've started using MX51s on my 450 and love them too (they're usually slightly cheaper than 606s).
  17. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    Cranky, I'm going to need some new tires about that time. I've liked the ones I got from you before (probably 40% left now?), should I just get a new set, or something else?

The organizational structure this year has expanded greatly so I'm expecting many positive improvements at the event. :norton

Anders
  18. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Anders, I can hook you up with a set.
    The trials tire worked great when the bike was running.
    I'm a C rider, so please take that into consideration when getting tire tips from me:D
  19. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm an F rider, because "I didn't pass". ;)

Anders
  20. mothra

mothra Rally Driver

Oddometer:
    What is the tire of choice for those stuck using 17" rear tires? Currently on T63's but they will be worn out by July:D