Road from Grand Forks to Needles BC?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ron from BC, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    In prep for going to the BeeCee Beemer Rally in Nakusp BC this August I saw a an unpaved road on a map which goes from the area of Grand Forks right up to Needles.

Anyone familiar with this road? If so, please let me know....

Thanks in advance,
  2. Revelstoker

Revelstoker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice road - you'll like it! Big bike friendly. Outside of Grand Forks you'll be on pavement for about 30km until you hit the Burrell Creek FSR.

[​IMG]

Burrell Creek is conducive to high speed cruising with long straight sections. Up and over a little pass and then start descending down to Edgewood. We were up there on the May Long Weekend and the road has apparently just opened a week prior.

[​IMG]

All in all, it is a nice, well kept gravel road. Apparently there is a herd of mountain goats that live in the area of Burrell Creek, but we didn't see any.

[​IMG]

Edgewood has gas and a nice little restaurant...but hold out for the Mushroom in Fauquier if you can.
  3. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info....I guess I'll have a better look on the TOPO BC map to see where that road from Grand Forks has the right turn to go to Edgewood etc. The mushroom thing sounds good and it's on the home stretch to Nakusp.

Ron :D
  4. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    Biker creamed by logging truck 2 years ago on that road. If you're going N to S, stop at store in Edgewood, they can tell you where/if logging is going on and can radio trucks to watch out for you.
    Stand Up
  5. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hrmmm....we're dipping into WA and then up north through Grand Forks. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into getting a phone number in Edgewood so I can call them when we start on that road.

After looking at my trusty BCAA map I see the Edgewood is actually on that road so I don't need to turn to get to it.

I scroll over on my TOPO map and have a look at it.

Edit: I just phoned the cafe in Edgewood and was told that due to the economy logging has pretty much shut down there however she did give me the store phone number to call just to make sure.

Thanks again for the tip !
  6. moosey

moosey Superconcentrated Bitch

Oddometer:
    Hey all...

I am planning a solo trip to BC (my first!) the first 2 weeks of August. I'll probably hit Glacier then ride north. My question is: What is the condition of the (what looks like a gravel) road running north from Crowsnest Pass to Hwy 40? I'll be riding an 05 Tiger. If the condition of the road is good, is it a good ride?

Thanks for the help....

Rhonda
  7. LongWays

LongWays No one's treading on you, sweetie.

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!

Cake - just got back from riding the Trunk Road last week
  8. alberta bob

alberta bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    moosey the ftr highway 940 will be no problem for you i rode my gs100 from cnp highway #3 to canmore . highway 40 goes over a pretty sweet mountain pass too, well Worth the ride.
  9. OurBC

OurBC Live to Travel

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been on the Burrell Creek Forest Service Road lately? We are thinking of doing this next week on way to Nakusp for the HU meeting.
  10. canadasax

canadasax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did it last fall, nice easy logging road.
    If you do it during the week, just keep your eyes open for trucks.
  11. canadasax

canadasax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. OurBC

OurBC Live to Travel

Oddometer:

Thanks for info and video link plus we will keep our eyes open for the logging trucks.
  13. OurBC

OurBC Live to Travel

Oddometer:
    Went through last week with TTigerfoot on way to HU meeting at Nakusp, road was in great shape. Saw a couple of these.

[​IMG]
  14. ulsterboy13

ulsterboy13 n00b

Oddometer:
    any updates on this road? - may be taking it enroute to Nakusp this week for HU mtg
    I'll need to check fire situation too of course
  15. JayDee24ca

JayDee24ca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the fire situation, as you say, is the first thing you need to check out. There are a couple of fires burning up the North Fork and beyond up Burrel, so you may be advised to pick another route. I am in Grand Forks and as of a couple of hours ago we are really heavily smoked in.
    Barring the fire/smoke situation, the road is open and easy going.

Also, I see the Santa Rosa trail has a couple of dandy fires , one really large one that crossed the border from the US
    JD
  16. bentlink

bentlink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We will be heading to HU Nakusp from Kelowna Fri morning. Via Hwy 6 (Vernon to Needles/Faulkner ferry). Smoky currently here in Kelowna. But forecast is for the weather to change Thursday it seems, w low pressure arriving. May see you there! Let me know if you are coming this way.
  17. ulsterboy13

ulsterboy13 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys - looks like Grand Forks - Needles is better avoided right now. My plan is to ferry to Annacortes from Victoria and take Hwy 20 across Cascades before heading up to Nakusp. will check fire situation in WA now for their conditions
    Probably head home Sunday via Hwy 6 - lets hope for cooler temps and clearing skies.
    See you there Bentlink - I'm the guy on the big old Tiger 955
  18. bentlink

bentlink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    083D3398-2358-4FE5-8858-C9EAB51EAC88.jpeg
    This is me: Africa Twin and smoky sky... See you there. Safe travels and enjoy that route!
  19. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    If you are camping, be sure to spend a night at Toad Rock (12 minutes north of Balfour) and visit the "Social Pavilion" in the evening!
  20. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Edgewood has been placed on evacuation alert due to wildfire to the south.