XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Spud Rider, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently purchased a Shorai, LFX09A2 battery for my Honda XR650L. The Shorai battery weighs 4.8 pounds less than the stock battery, and its small size allowed me to relocate the battery on top of the XR650L air box. :D

I prepared the seat pan by removing the lateral rib that extends in front of the air box, and shaving the excess flashing from the vent holes.

[​IMG]

Then I removed all the contents from the battery box, and freed the wiring harness from the battery box. I disconnected the CDI unit, and pulled the fuses from the fuse box. After the battery box was empty, I removed it completely from the motorcycle, shedding over 10 pounds of highly placed weight. :nod

[​IMG]

Next, I loosened all the wiring connected to the air box, and I disconnected all the plugs. I then pulled the wires leading to the battery box under the frame, and cleared them from the top of the air box. Next, I cut back the tape about 1 ½-inches from the fork on the main wiring harness.

[​IMG]

This allowed me to shove the main wiring harness down into the space in front of the air box. :wink: One of the wiring boots is located on the right side of the fuel tank. I rerouted all the wires leading to this wiring boot in front of the shock absorber. I also shoved the wiring boot coming from the right side of the fuel tank down into the space in front of the air box. :wink:

[​IMG]

I then prepared a flat surface for the Shorai battery by trimming the small, lateral wall on the top front of the air box. :nod

[​IMG]

After lengthening the wires leading from the tail light and turn signals, I routed these wires from the left side of the bike, under the frame, into the area in front of the air box. I routed the wire from the rear brake switch from the right side of the bike, under the frame, into the same area.

After placing the Shorai battery into position, I reconnected all the wires, and routed the CDI wire, the starter relay, and the fuse box outside the frame, to the right, rear end of the air box.

[​IMG]

After changing the position of the connectors on the starter relay, I mounted the starter relay, and the fuse box, onto the top, rear of the air box, outside the frame. I routed the CDI wire into the hole of the air box, and attached the CDI unit inside the air box with a zip tie. :wink:

[​IMG]

After reinstalling the fuses, I trimmed a small portion of the “wall” surrounding the air intake to allow me to connect the positive terminal to the battery. Finishing the job, I connected both battery terminals, and reinstalled the fuses. :1drink

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The saddle reinstalls as easily as it did before. :nod By removing the battery box, I shaved a little over 10 pounds from my motorcycle. The Shorai battery weighs 1.2 pounds, so the net weight loss resulting from this battery relocation was about 9 pounds. :D

Spud :wave
    SqdHntr and thebigman like this.
  2. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    I really like what you've done here, and I'm impressed at how thorough your documentation is. I appreciate the fact that you didn't cut up the wiring harness to dispose of the excess wiring. However, I have two questions that would concern me when I commence to incorporate this attractive modification: 1) can the wires get to rubbing on the moving shock absorber, perhaps even move around to get crunched in the coils of the spring, under compression? And 2) is the battery perfectly happy to operate on its side? (as opposed to the expected upright position)
    Thanks Spud :wave
  3. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind works, OnO. :D All the wires are located above the shock absorber coil, so I believe they are safe. However, for added protection, you could easily insert the wires inside some sections of old inner tube. Of course, you could also shorten the wires themselves. :wink:

According to the manufacturer, it is safe to position the Shorai battery on its side. :nod

thebigman likes this.
  4. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Thanks again, sir Spud :D
    I think this will be a fantastic modification for me also, when the time is right. Meaning, when my battery dies and assuming I can cobble up the bucks for this $$$ battery. I will be keeping an eye on your observations and of course contact you for up-to-date information before delving in, whenever that may be. I would be reluctant to shorten the factory wiring harness, simply because no matter how well I solder, heat shrink, and tape the splices (and I do it well; lots of experience), it still affects reliability as water can still ingress and do its nasty deed. And I get mine wet sometimes. I would make sure that wiring is extra secure out of the way of moving parts because I do some pretty rough trail riding with mine. Hauling ass over rocks, jumping water bars, dropping off ledges - stuff like that will rearrage your innards in a hurry! :deal (the bike's, too) :lol3
    :freaky
    thebigman likes this.
  5. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I added a few more, finishing touches to my Shorai, battery relocation. :nod I temporarily added a piece of Romex wire to serve as a battery "strap." I will figure out a more elegant solution later. :wink: I also added a small piece of "Shorai foam" to protect the bottom of the battery from the air box mount on the frame. In addition, I plan to trim/file this metal tab so it will not nick the battery box. :deal

[​IMG]

I also plan to add a 5mm sheet of "Shorai foam" to the top of the air box. This foam will reduce abrasion, absorb shock, and further secure the Shorai battery to the top of the air box. :nod

6. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Is the fit between the battery, airbox and seat bottom tight enough that the battery doesn't move around? I would imagine a piece of velcro between the battery and the airbox would stop it vibrating in place and minimize the chance of any friction related problems the movement may cause.

edit: I see while I was typing this, you explained a little more about holding the battery in place. I still think a small sheet of velcro would do double duty as insulator and retention.
  7. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice.:evil
  8. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the helpful suggestion, Chad. :D The foam supplied with the Shorai battery is excellent. I believe a pad of "Shorai foam," along with a proper battery strap, will thoroughly secure the installation. :nod

<object width="640" height="390">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/69mWwmFkJRQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

9. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Upon further reflection, I like your idea more, and more, Chad. :nod Do you have a particular velcro product in mind? Since the Shorai battery only weighs 1.2 pounds, a battery strap might not be necessary. :deal If you can recommend a particular product, I might experiment with it. :nod

10. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice, clean install!!!! I like saving ten pounds from up high and rearward

Good job!
  11. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is it really that much? Sorry of this has been covered, but what is the EXACT weight savings?

BP
  12. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I weighed the parts I took off my bike, and a little over 10 pounds were removed. :nod I then installed the Shorai battery, which weighs 1.2-pounds. Therefore, the net weight loss is approximately 9 pounds. :wink:

13. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Wattner. :D

14. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Spud, very much. How much was the savings on he battery alone?
  15. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. :nod The Shorai website claims the LFX09A2 battery alone weighs 4.95-pounds less than the stock battery. Of course, if you add some "Shorai foam" to pad the battery box, the weight savings diminish a little. :deal

http://www.shoraipower.com/s-48824-XR650L.aspx

16. Cumbacheech

Cumbacheech XRated

Oddometer:
    Spud,

Like I said before great job and thanks for sharing:clap. I was just wondering if there would be any issue by having the battery laying on its back instead of standing up and down... Have you looked into that? and Do you know if a trickle charger can be used for when the bike is in storage mode?

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
  17. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spud. I made a head light shield. I went to wally world with a craft section. They have about 3 or 4 different type to choose from. Ben
  18. mrazekan

mrazekan Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been answered before but just to be clear:
    These batteries are LiFeP04 electrode based. They are lithium ion batteries. This is why they weigh so much less and are so small. What makes them different is that they have a very specific type of electrode. So unless you feel like you need to keep your cellphone upright, you'll be fine.
  19. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome, CC. :nod Here's a quote from the FAQ page at the Shorai webite.

Q. Can Shorai LFX be mounted in any position?

A.Yes. There are no liquids in the LFX batteries.

The FAQ page also addresses the use of battery chargers, and battery tenders.

http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx

Indeed, the Shorai website contains a lot of great information regarding Shorai batteries. :nod

20. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Ben. :D I went to Office Max today, and bought some Scotch Multi-Purpose Fasteners; however, this velcro product is barely adequate for holding down the Shorai battery. :bluduh Therefore, I don't recommend it. Tomorrow I will visit Wally World and examine their wares. :wink: However, I think the solution for securely fastening the Shorai battery is going to be the 3M, Scotch, Dual Lock Reclosable Fasteners. :nod

http://www.fastenation.com/category...d=6548455082&gclid=CNHa0fiOvqcCFQgHbAodhEBA_w