Howbout a two in one exhaust system?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by K2ride, Nov 7, 2004.

1. K2ride

K2ride Single track mind!

Oddometer:
    Looking at the possibility of fabricating a two in one set up like the Dakar bikes: :thumb
    - Pipes routed as the Rally bikes
    - Single can
    - Looks are not of importance but efficiency & sturdiness are!

Next step would naturally be custom bash plate & carbon/kevlar rear side tanks + subframe; long winters up here! :wink:

Any ideas on what`s involved here?
    - Materials to be used
    - Carb & engine tuning
    - Heat dissipation

Any & all inputs appreciated! :1drink
  2. celtic kiwi

celtic kiwi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the tanks from eva motor require those sort of pipes , could a standard akra handle twice the flow ,or would the pipe just hit a point where the gas pressure would stop much baffling and just go straight out , and be real loud ?

or could you route it to remain as a 2-1-2 system?
  3. K2ride

Oddometer:
    Might take a long time before the Eva motors tanks see daylight & still no mention of exhaust mods on their site! :brow

As for a 2-1-2 system, one of the reason for rerouting the pipes is to diminish the heat from the rear cylinder pipe that radiates in that tight engine/clutch/shock area; a 2 in 1 system is needed for this. :1drink
  4. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

I've been really seriously contemplating this mod.

I think stainless steel is the best bet for material, with a carbon fibre can made for a 1000cc bike (to make sure there is enough flow). Titanium would be nice once the design is worked out.

Once the pipes are rerouted, I think a tank could be made under the seat to replace the current tool stash. Carbon Fibre using the lost foam method would work well for this I think.

Lastly, the bash plate could brobably remain stack, but with a new right side piece made out of carbon fibre.

Yep -- I was definitely thinking of this as a winter project.

Let me know how you make out!
  5. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I wonder if heat may have anything to do with the clutch creep problem?
  6. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    Hi Flanny. Just to get inspiration going, here's a link to a winter project (two winters actually) of my friend Overland. He cooked up the stainless steel tubing himnself (!) and completed his 660 single with a Yamaha R1 Akrapovic Titanium. A big muffler, and what a sound! A bit like a rolling subwoofer. :thumb
  7. K2ride

Oddometer:
    Like this?[​IMG] :1drink
  8. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Why. Performance is the achievment or just the fabrication?
  9. K2ride

Oddometer:
    Both!

Performance:
    More low end grunt + less heat behind the rear cylinder + less weight + better fuel range. :thumb

Achievment:
    Long winter months. :lol3
    :1drink
  10. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:

Yes - Just like that in fact. :evil
  11. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:

For more fuel range.
  12. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Flanny, what is your average now? & what do you think the improvement will be? Thanks.
  13. K2ride

Oddometer:
    Apparently, against Meoni`s advice, KTM went the set up we now have on our bikes for reasons of appeal to the public; under seat dual pipes is the hot setup these days! :bluduh

As for Meoni`s advice, one of the reason for keeping the rally bike setup was to diminish heat radiating on the clutch area; don`t know if it could solve the creeping but I think it would help in the long run! :1drink
  14. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:

I get about 350kms out of a tank.

I'd like to get about 500kms, so I'd need about another 10 litres under the seat.
  15. BlownCJ

BlownCJ dangerous rider ?

Oddometer:
    ok peeps im a welding contractor and i machine stuff on my mill and lathe when i get paid too .... having said this bryan {flanny} knows of my intrest in the rallye bike theory ...... my biggest setback is getting a curved mark that radiused bigger radiator ......... everything else can be made heres is a break down of stuff to get ahold of its not to hard and might speed up a wintertime project

first off the 2 into one needs to be a tuned exhaust that means on a 75 degree motor that you have do the math inbetween ehaust pulses so that the lengths coming off each exhaust port allow for proper flow i can break out the calculator and do this later .......... intially for ease we would take and call aircone and get mild steel mandrel bends in 1.5 inch and a 2 into one collector that goes 1.5 1.5 to 2 inch ............ we could remove the exhaust flanges and bead blast off the chrome and start there and fab back to the 2 into one ......... where the split is i would make it slip fit with springs so we could remove our piece of art and work on that gorgeous motor we have
    ok we are back to the 2 inch side of the union here we stop cause we need to think subframe / rear tanks and skidplate

skidplate hindsight is like bryan says modify the one side and make it out of carbon kevalar ...... when working with this stuff remember the ambient tempature in your work area needs to be at least 70 degrees or you will wait for days for it to cure even using more hardner ...... releasing agent , rubber molds and that stuff to hold your rubber molds shape on the opposite side { i use great stuff foam from the home depot works great just dont get epoxy on it } this is art work stuff to there are some web pages for us do it ourselfers that we can read and learn how to do carbonfiber kevalar epoxy work materials for building just about everything you could want on your bike is about 250 usd ...... just takes time and whatever you can dream up

rear tanks ........... im kinda biased here i want the elkamet tanks designed for the 950 rallye made out of polymeade ??? they have the cut out to acess the rear shock ......... now with that said ktm will tell you that they are not available ......... someone over in italy help us out i will buy these tanks i really dont care what they cost i want them ..... the only way to get these would to be in the inner circle at ktm put it this way scott harden told me that he could not get them for his bike so i guess you have to be the ceo's friend at ktm ????
    option b hand form rear aluminum tanks made out of 120 wall aluminum a bit heavy but definately stronger than 90 thousnth material 6061 so its machinable and weldable
    you would need to make the new subframe at the same time ...... along with an oil coller and relocating the dry sump and battery under the seat .....

ok know you guys know why the "works" rallye bikes cost alot from 30k to 100k can be spent on one of those machines

if anyone has a lead on a radiator <coolant not oil> maker out there that does radius radiator like we have on our 950s lemme know ...... if i can get one of those built or even just a usable core that i can fab the side tanks too out of aluminum i will start making a rallye bike
    otherwise i just fell im doing something half azzed and ill just ride my the crap outta my modded 950s

early bird mods since last year november
    sun rims akras live carbs 45/16 handmade barrisers my own blanking plates rallye auxillary fan reworked forks highr bars akra crash bars for pipes {jesse bag mounts :) }

projects in the work emigs new stuff in orange on the way , reienforced factory skidplate with more alum and carbon fiber , modified crashbars to fit tanks saddle bags too so i can footrests for my alaska trip in july

these are just my thoughts please share yours

Barry
  16. RAGrote

RAGrote Fishin w PICO

Oddometer:
    2 things that you've probably got identified.

Insure the lengths from the exhaust ports to the 2-1 collector is correct for your exhaust scavenging tunage... (note the industry term "tunage").
    Insure the volume/flow of the muffler is large enough to prevent it from introducing too much added back pressure, changing the scavenging.

2-1-2 systems were designed that way to split the duties of handling such large exhaust pulses from a v-twin engine.

From my past experience with my RC51...
  17. BlownCJ

BlownCJ dangerous rider ?

Oddometer:
    look at the 950 rally runs a 2 into one that i definately know :thumb
  18. CraigTransalp

CraigTransalp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. K2ride

Oddometer:
    Now we`re getting somewhere! :nod