CORE 4 Kids (fundraiser/ride) - March 23rd

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Crawdaddy, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    I spent the last two days scouting/tweaking some suggested loops for the the CORE 4 Kids fundraiser in March: http://crawdadoffroadevents.com/core-calendar/view/87

Lot's of beautiful terrain/photo ops........especially at the end of March when the colors are popping.....here's a brief teaser/sampler of some phone pics I snapped to show you some of what the area has to offer....

Shortly after you leave the campground you'll pass by the shoe tree.......these things pop up like weeds.......there's even a shoe tree on the CO. River near my place in Bullhead City?!?!.......so bring a pair of "done" shoes and add to the decor of the area (tree)

[​IMG]

Next stop is the Bat Caves

[​IMG]

Then you'll round the bend and make your way over towards "the Oasis".......as you round the bend you'll have views of the Salton Sea (that's San Jacinto in the distance)..today I managed to catch a train rolling along as well:

[​IMG]

Then it's off to "the Oasis"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once you leave the Oasis you'll make your way over towards the Meccacopia Trail

[​IMG]

I also added a new hardway in this area today (sorry, didn't snap any photos.....)

Once you leave the Meccacopia trail you'll have choices......if you're street plated you might want to consider riding through Pinkham Canyon in Joshua Tree ......or just head over to Chiriacho Summit for lunch/gas...

Here's a shot taken in Joshua Tree yesterday......that's San Jacinto in the distance......the area will be popping with color in late March.....

[​IMG]

Regardless of option, after lunch/gas at Chiriacho Summit it's off to the Red Canyon Trail.......loads of fun

[​IMG]

High above Red Canyon on the always fun Red Canyon Ridge Trail

[​IMG]

More options.......head over to Amy's Wash or explore Red Canyon

Dave deep in "The Pinnacles" of Red Canyon

[​IMG]

Dry waterfall at the end of The Pinnacles spur

[​IMG]

A few other wrinkles:

[​IMG]

The trestle in the distance passes over the Bradshaw Trail which is down in the main wash....

[​IMG]

I hear the train a comin'.....it's rollin' round the bend......and I ain't see the sunshine since......you know the rest :wink: :lol:

[​IMG]

More info on the CORE 4 Kids Fundraiser: http://crawdadoffroadevents.com/core-calendar/view/87
  2. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    But you wern't stuck in Folsom Prison:lol3
  3. Scorpion Sports

Scorpion Sports (Now with Motowearhouse.com)

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the event Chris
  4. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    There's an exciting "CORE 4 Kids" Fundraiser development in the works. Stay tuned for more details regarding a collaborative effort with Gary LaPlante of Motoventures. Come out to the fundraiser with your family and receive training from the man who wrote the book......literally :wink:: http://www.motoventures.com/motoventures-training :deal

5. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in,cabin secured entry paid:freaky
  6. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    Good deal....see ya out there......
  7. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    Gary LaPlante (AKA Mr. MotoVentures) is offering two (2) off-road riding clinics in conjunction with the CORE 4 Kids Fundraiser on March 23rd. These clinics are for anyone with Level 2 or greater riding skills, not for beginners.

MotoVentures Level 2 training clinics start with Gary’s classic rider’s meeting, which covers bike set-up, terrain and conditions, key fundamentals and body positioning, mental and visual habits, how to shift weight and maintain your balance, how to pick and stick to the preferred line, motocross and trials techniques, and how to transition from street to dirt and visa-versa. Riding exercises will include sitting turns, braking skills, stand-up riding and stand up turning, steep hill climbing and descending, hill climb extractions, riding side hills, making turns on hills, and how to handle hills without traction. Exercises continue with a five-cone stand up and steer slalom, a six-inch board ride, and how to ride in deep sand. From there we’ll learn and practice wheelies for fun and for a purpose, brake slides and power slides, and basic jumping skills. We'll trail ride in between exercise and participants will get an opportunity to try a trials bike if they want.

The first clinic will be held on Friday, March 22nd (the day before the CORE 4 Kids Fundraiser ride on Saturday March 23). Hours on Friday will be 11am to ~5pm (6 hours) with a 30-minute “lunch” break (food and drinks not included).

The second clinic will be held on Saturday March 23rd (Fundraiser attendee's have the option of training on Saturday and riding in the local area on Sunday the 24th). Hours on Saturday will be from 8am - ~2pm (6 hours) with a 30-minute lunch break (lunch and drinks not included).

Both clinics will take place in the riding areas around the event headquarters; the Glamis North Hot Springs Resort.: http://www.glamisnorth.com/

Minimum/pre-registered student headcount to conduct each clinic is 10 people. The deadline for registration is March 8, two weeks prior to the event. Likewise, if there is enough interest, MotoVentures will provide additional instructors and could accommodate up to 20 riders at each clinic.

Cost is $195 per person with $20 each going to the Children’s Cancer Research Fund
    NOTE: A limited number of Yamaha WRs and TTRs will be available to rent for an additional $125.
  8. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    The latest edition of the D37 Newsletter is available online......CORE 4 Kids article on the cover page: http://www.district37ama.org/dualsport/Newsletter/130301-Newsletter.pdf
    (Thanks for the CORE 4 Kids plug Catrise!)

Two add'l points of interest:

(1) People unable to attend may make a direct donation here: http://ccrf.convio.net/site/TR/Events/personalfundraising?pxfid=6270&fr_id=1140&pg=fund

(2) CORE 4 Kids Bonus: Gary LaPlante (http://www.motoventures.com/motoventures-training) is offering two (2) off-road riding clinics in conjunction with the CORE 4 Kids Fundraiser.

Minimum/pre-registered student headcount to conduct each clinic is 10 people. The deadline for registration is March 8 (two weeks prior to the event). Likewise, if there is enough interest, MotoVentures will provide additional instructors and could accommodate up to 20 riders at each clinic.

Please call Gary directly at (951) 767-0991 to register for a clinic.....money well spent......

See ya out there!

FYI - I can be reached at (760) 519 9564 or Crawdaddy@Crawdadoffroadevents.com
  9. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris, is the Core for Kids ride strictly plated bikes only?
  10. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    NO

The fundraiser is being held in an open riding area....."stickered" bikes/quads/side by sides are welcome......navigation by GPS

The only area the requires a street plate is the lower portions of Joshua Tree (Pinkham Canyon)

More info here: http://crawdadoffroadevents.com/core-calendar/view/87
  11. BrockEvan

Oddometer:
    Okay, thanks. If we are riding in your group do we need to be plated? Thinking of a red stickered buddy to come along.
  12. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    I'll be roaming rather than leading any specific groups.......navigation is by GPS (or tag along with a GPS enabled buddy)

Non street plated vehicles can ride everywhere except Joshua Tree Nat'l Park and the paved Cottonwood Rd. that leads out of the park....I have a split in the GPS tracks that eliminates the optional "plate required" loop....

Your buddy is welcome to bring his red sticker rig.......he needs a mininum fuel range of ~60 miles (refill the tank at Chiriaco Summit)
  13. BrockEvan

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chris for the clarification.
  14. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone - this is the last week to register for Gary's clinics at the CORE 4 Kids Fundraiser.

Likewise, I'll be placing my order for T-Shirts in a week and I won't be ordering a lot of extra shirts....

So, if you're on the fence about this new event on the D37 calendar, please jump on over and have some fun/help me raise some $$ for the kids.......please register ASAP - THANKS!

http://crawdadoffroadevents.com/core-calendar/view/87

People unable to attend may also donate directly here: http://ccrf.convio.net/site/TR/Events/personalfundraising?pxfid=6270&fr_id=1140&pg=fund

Please call Gary directly at (951) 767-0991 to register for a clinic.....money well spent......

See ya out there!

FYI - I can be reached at (760) 519 9564 or Crawdaddy@Crawdadoffroadevents.com
  15. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    Did I mention......

The "CORE 4 Kids" fundraiser is for Children's Cancer Research

FUN Trails!!!

Off Road Rider training available from MotoVentures

There are cabins and full hook-ups at the RV sites, tent camping also available.

Swimming pools/mineral tubs

Restaurant on site

Hurry - I'm submitting the T-Shirt order this Wed....:deal
  16. mr. thumbs

mr. thumbs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris,

I think I'll come out and ride this. It's a good cause. I'll be solo it's just for the day for me. No camping.
  17. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    Long drive for a day ride.......come on out and ride Friday - Sunday!
  18. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    I have about ~60 folks signed up so far (thanks!).....ordering T-Shirts tomorrow so if you're not in TODAY you may not receive a "T".....(I'm not ordering a lot of extras......I'd rather kick the $ to charity)

I'll be sending out more info on the fundraiser to registrants this weekend/early next week.

Gary has 5 folks signed up for his off-road clinic on Friday the 22nd.......hopefully a few more will step forward.....

Report from one of our SDAR members who took a course from him with her family this past weekend: http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15233-my-day-at-motoventures/page
  19. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    Posted today on Glamis North Hot Springs Resort Website: http://www.glamisnorth.com/Newslette...30313News.html

"I'll keep this message simple... we love the work Crawdad Off Road Events does to help raise money for the Children's Cancer Research Fund. Every dollar raised makes a difference - and just by reserving your site or cabin at Glamis North, for CORE weekend (March 22-24), you can help save a life!
    How? Any new reservations between now and the CORE weekend will score CORE 50% of the reservation fee for this amazing effort. The math is simple: if your reservation fee is $100, Cal and Roslyn will donate $50 to The Children's Cancer Research Fund in your name, through CORE.

Reserve your site now, and consider making an additional $80 donation to the these amazing kids via CORE, and you'll get an event T-Shirt, GPS tracks for the area, more fun than should be allowed in any given weekend, and the satisfaction of knowing that your gift is making a difference. Volunteers will be on hand to guide you (if needed), and you're guaranteed a great time while also supporting a seriously great cause. Visit the CORE for Kids webpage for more information.

See you March 22!

Sassy"
  20. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Great news ! wish I could make it down there ..

To anyone on the fence CORE runs a fabulous event making sure everything is taken care of so you can enjoy what you want to do... RIDE !

Have fun guys!