Charlotte, NC to New Delhi, India - The Journey Continues

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by SgtMike, Jun 3, 2009.

1. SgtMike

SgtMike facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer:
    October 2007, Chanderjeet was the first scholarship rider for International Frienship Program. Brought to us by ADVRider members to share the one thing that we have in common, motorcycle touring. After a truly inspirational outpouring of generosity and friendship, we all experienced CJ's Journey Into Friendship. In 2008, Shurstik (Alexy) from Vladivostok, Russia was the second rider we had the priveledge to meet.

It was my honor to host both of these guys and now consider them friends and welcome in my home, door is always open fellas:deal.

When CJ and I parted ways in VA, I promised to come visit someday. June 10th is that someday! Passport recieved, India visa secured, plane ticket purchased, chore monies saved. Chanderjeet has been kind enough to recieve me and make some amazing arrangements for the trip. Motorcycle, vacation time, a place to crash, hanging out with this regular guy from North Carolina... my gratitude and many blessings are with my friend Chanderjeet and his Richa.

We will be carrying on a program that CJ started last year; Bikers for Books. Donated books and school supplies will be delivered to village schools in the northern mountain areas. Last year was the begining, this year is only the continuation of this great cause. The years to come will be amazing!

This is me, average joe (SgtMike);

[​IMG]
  2. SgtMike

Oddometer:
    The temps in New Delhi, according to CJ, are well into the 90f - 100f range. We'll be drinking water by the truck load! But once we get into the mountains and up to higher elevation, temps will vary from 30'sf to 80'sf. I'm bringing lots of layers, liners, and waterproof stuff. Helmet, riding jacket/pants, WP touring boots, warm and cold gloves. A little of which are shown here;

[​IMG]
  3. SgtMike

Oddometer:
    In addition to hotel stays, some nights will be spent in my trusty 4-person tent. The green monster has seen a few nights camping, but it's got plenty more to go. Road gear includes gas cans (2 galllon), bungies, zip ties, sleepbag, multi-tool - most of which CJ has, but, why spend $$ if I can bring my stuff. Some things will be purchased in New Delhi before departure on the bikes, updates will be submitted.

[​IMG]
  4. bpeterson

bpeterson no other way to say it

Oddometer:
    enjoy!

:lurk
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Best wishes for a safe journey! Looking forward to your updates :thumb

6. Leget

Leget Rally Tractor Pilot

Oddometer:
    SgtMike,

Best wishes for you on your journey....sounds like it will be an amazing trip.

You have less than a week before you ship out.....and we never seemed to work out the time to get a little dirt riding in before you left.

We still have time, I'm sure I can find an extra bike around here somewhere. Just give me a call..or PM...or email.....:ear.

Be safe,
    Michael
  7. vmabuck

vmabuck Clutch Killah

Oddometer:
    OohRah!

Yut kill and all that bullshit.

Have a good ride brother!
  8. NCJ

NCJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride safely and far - looking forward to this one! Subscribed.
  9. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet "IndiYeah & SveriYeah!!"

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap

We'll have your bike arranged this week and ready for you before you reach.

Heads up on the road status, recent words of a fellow inmate

4 laning in progress before Kiratpur - arbit diversions. Normally not so bad, but the rain has turned the diversion sections to slush in places, not such a big problem though.

Some repairs on the Bilaspur Mandi sector - with marble sized stones scattered all over the other side of the road. Interesting if you chance upon it on the curves at speed.

Marhi to Rohtang top + a couple of km on the other side. Usual makeshift road building has gone west, this road is really the pits. You got it all, potholes, slush etc. Past Rohtang top, in the afternoon, once the snow melt accelerates, you get to go wade thru a cold, high altitude 40 cm deep swimming pool as well (no other way), water above axle depth, 10 cm below spark plug, so it may make sense to do this bit early in the morning. Baralacha la is in the worst shape - when I went there, a days after the road had opened, it was merely a path cut thru the ice walls with one slippery track extending partially thru the packed snow, and another wheel track in the 6" deep ice water nullah (which is what you should ride thru, as you will get some traction).

Nakeela and Lalchangla - smaller (and easier) versions of above

Beware of snow at Tanglangla - I got screwed there by a sudden snowfall, rocks and slush frozen solid, once the snow covers the ground and obscured the rocks, even getting the bike thru at walking pace is not a possibility. And at 5000+ meters and at least 10 minus, you'd better have survival gear, and rations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:tough

10. Chanderjeet

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We'll be stone throw away from pakistan :twitch
  11. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Puncture sealant may not be such a bad idea. Though you will always have somebody in the cities/towns/villages do it for you fast, cheap and good, once you are in the boonies, every bit of struggling at 4500m is something you want to avoid. i think you may be able to purchase this in Delhi.

Where do you plan to camp? Equipment can be hired at Leh as well as Manali and the whole area is dotted with hotels that are both good and cheap.

Please carry a lot of newspapers with you getting them is a difficult proposition in some parts, and they behave both as insulators (against cold) and boot dryers. An alternative to heavy waterproof boots (which will have your feet cook in Delhi), is to have a lighter, non waterproof pair + one set of overshoes, which do a great job of layering and insulating your feet as well. Besides, good overshoes such as Neos will give you a much better grip on packed snow as well.

Last, but not the least - antifungal dusting powder, esp if you have waterproof boots, and for the rest of your innerwear. Again available easily in Delhi, or anywhere for that matter, OTC.

Have a great time. Hopefully, most of the roads will have had some sort of repair by the time you reach there. The scenery will BLOW you away, as will the hospitality!
  12. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    This ones gonna be good !!

looking forward to an amazing RR. :clap
  13. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I hope to also be hosted by CJ some day.

14. ShiftHead

ShiftHead the f is silent.

Oddometer:
    SgtMike,
    Lemme know if you need a hand with anything, I am just down the street from you! Good luck bud!

Nate
  15. Ze Red Baron

Ze Red Baron Adventure seeker

Oddometer:
    Mike,
    I sent you a PM. Have an awesome trip.

Gero
  16. Chanderjeet

Oddometer:

:thumb seeya soon dummy :ricky
  17. Chanderjeet

Oddometer:

I've got a tent and sleeping bag, mike is carrying one too. I think we're set there. But thanks for the advise on sealant........ and the boots and everything else sire :thumb
  18. SgtMike

Oddometer:
    Getting in touch with CJ's pal here from Microsoft. Picking up some books and such later, will post pics.

I was hoping to get some dirt riding in, but time has become short lately. Besides my full time job, I work 3 part timers... Concord Speedway on Friday evenings (some Sunday rain dates), USAC Focus Midgets Series once a month, and the Richard Petty Driving Experience 1-3 days a month - all money saved for the trip. Mrs.SgtMike has been traveling lately as well, someone has to feed the kids:rofl .

Looking forward to meeting many of you to tell this tale someday :freaky , thanks to all.
  19. peter-reebok

peter-reebok Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going myself in 4 weeks - reading your report with earnest!.

Keep em coming!.

PS. Good luck and enjoy yourself!.
  20. nwgs

nwgs Jesus Saves

Oddometer:
    Whew, I always get a little nervous before an Adventure. But a good excited nervous.

This is gonna be great..:lurk