Poll: Who's interested in Öhlins Suspension for the Big Bikes

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by PowerCell, May 6, 2013.

?

Tell us what you'd like...

1. Öhlins TTx22 front fork kit

2. Öhlins TTx44 Mk-II rear shock

3. Both of the above

4. I'll stick with my WP stuff and spend the money on beer

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's see a show of hands as to who would be interested in Öhlins suspension for either the KTM Adventure or the Super Enduro!

For years, BMW's have enjoyed the pleasure of Öhlins technology and unmatched quality. But where's the love for the orange bikes? Guess we're not ordering enough lattes...

As some of you may know, I've been running prototype Öhlins forks and shock on my SE990R for about 3 years now. In that time I've been pushing the boundaries of their suspension, and I've been nothing short of amazed with the new TTX Mk-II product.

Recently I've had several inquiries about making these items available for others to appreciate. Well, after spending some time at the Öhlins North American facility, it's become clear to me that if this is ever going to happen, we're going to have to make it happen ourselves.

• I don't have pricing yet, but just assume it's crazy expensive.
    • Both ends would give you 277mm of travel.
    • The bike would remain close to early S height.
    Have question? Let's hear 'em and I'll do my best to answer them for you...

Regards ~ Ken

2. trc

trc Tim Robel Concepts

Oddometer:
    I would be in! Any thoughts of building a shock that would match the long travel front end we have on our bikes. My front legs are off of a 09 530. From the looks of things I would think it would require a new upper shock mount to get the full travel and not be way up in the air. I could CNC them and have them ready to weld on. One way or another I would be in. Suspension is the name of the game. I was heading this route until I got caught up in the EnduroCross thing. Look forward to getting back to developing the SE!
  3. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    Well Ken, I've got a 950 Supermoto. I just sold a Duc S4 with Ohlins. While the Duc was really well balanced , and worked very well, I can't fault the WPs on my KTM, in reality, they are plusher than my Duc. At least any difference isn't , to me, worth the couple thousand it would be to do up my KTM.
  4. PowerCell

Oddometer:

Hey Tim! The front suspension is physically limited by the radiator placement. We're giving up about 20mm to the EXC models in order to save that precious cooler. Also the underside of the triple clamp comes into play...

The rear shock would match the front at 277mm of wheel travel. I run this now and it's just plain ol' amazing. Guess I might have to let some people ride my bike to see what I'm talking about... :thumb

5. PowerCell

Oddometer:
    I can appreciate that, but this would be specifically directed towards the off-road enthusiast. :1drink

6. slowpoke

slowpoke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WP suspension is already top notch! That's what I got on my GS.
  7. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup WP is top shelf. Why would I switch to a similar level or inferior product?
  8. trc

trc Tim Robel Concepts

Oddometer:
    Got it Ken! I did move the radiator in and running a 20" front wheel. I did forget my suspension guy limited my up travel a bit for the triples. I would love to give your bike a spin. I do believe its the best setup SE out there! I'm in for both.
  9. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Any concept of what "crazy expensive" means? Even a ball park.

Would these be bolt on legs?
  10. PowerCell

Oddometer:

As a guy that's worked with WP all the ways back to the White Power days, I can comfortably say that it's good suspension. Not great. Certainly not top shelf... and not even in the same ballpark as Öhlins. There's a reason why KTM doesn't even run their own product when they race.

But in line with these comments, in order to appreciate the Öhlins product you need to ride at a level that would justify the expense. I know there won't be many on here that can benefit from the upgrade, and that's why I've put out this "feeler" poll rather than go directly into production.

11. PowerCell

Oddometer:

For the forks these would be a cartridge kit. You retain your original legs, but all the internals including the springs would be swapped out. The conversion would be completely reversible should you choose to take the suspension with you to another bike...

As for price? I'm not here yet... but it would depend a small amount on participation. I think a limited production would be the smart way to go about this...

12. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Heya Ken

We have been trying to find out about a hydraulic or worm drive external preload adjuster for our SE.

I had one on my ST4S Duc and loved it.

Do you know if these are available at all for WP, I am a mediocre rider so I am very happy with WP for my level but an external spring preload adjuster would fill my needs well.

Please let me know

Many thanks Andi
  13. The Griz

Oddometer:
    So you're telling me a WP Trax is inferior to an Ohlins TTX? Not so. Equal, sure.

The stock WP suspenders on the 990 are FAR superior to the entry level Ohlins by a long shot.

Having owned and ridden both, at a level that would appreciate it, I can say that I am more impressed with WP than Ohlins, hands down. (I had Ohlins on my F800GS and my G450X)

And there may be a KTM or two out there that run Ohlins, but the majority of KTM riders run WP.

Not saying Ohlins is inferior or bad stuff. Just saying that saying Ohlins is superior is a stretch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. PowerCell

Oddometer:

Well... let's start with your pix above. What do any of these all aluminum cone valve forks have in common with the WP product that comes on a stock KTM? Not a damn thing short of their costing as much as a complete bike. The 4CS is a design entirely of compromise so WP can stop paying royalties to Öhlins for valve and reservoirs design. This is common knowledge.

And since you brought up the Trax, do you even know what a Trax shock is? It's just an SXS shock with a top-out spring built into the bottom yoke. Very cutting edge. Öhlins has the same part as a tuning item that installs internally. Not much there really. But I guess that's the beauty of the internet; everybody gets to read the random opinions of complete strangers and magically become an expert over night... next.

15. kingmoochr

kingmoochr n00b

Oddometer:
    And you are.....

Not all Ohlins stuff is made equal. I am not interested in suspension due to brand. I will take a custom Ohlins/WP/Penske/Marzocci over an off-the-shelf product any day, because it is designed and tuned for me.
  16. Zombie025

Zombie025 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I voted for the beer option as i estimate it will save me up to 3 beers every day for the next 4 years:freaky
    But nevertheless, it sounds interesting. But if i consider my small research for factory suspensions on my husaberg and 250exc and the prices it was called for, i guess also an oehlins setup will cost as much as half the price of the new bike, or?
    On the other side spending this amount will save my liver from digesting 4,000ltr of beer:D and you can never farkle the beast enough (no need to put the fancy oehlin stickers on):evil
    So are there already any benefits in view, e.g. weight saving, longer travel or sth else?
  17. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The standard rear shock on the SE is shocking...:lol3 Wish the adventure S one fitted. I'm sure the price of the Ohlins will wind you on the spot....

Ive talked to a shock manufacturer who services suspension, he rates Ohlins.
  18. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    Those shocks on the #1 and #2 rallye bikes are'nt for sale. You have to hire them or have them hired for you. $15000 for 2 weeks, but hang on you do get a WP tech guru. The stantions are full alloy ,50mm diameter legs.

I love what your doing Powercell and would love an SE with suspension that's faster reacting than its donk. i rekon what your talkin about is out of reach for most but a handfull. I have seen Ohlins for sale on the net for the 990 adv the forks were around 1300 but.....there not what your on about, so people would want to buy yours for performance only. Its speccy stuff..... gold for 2 wheel freaks.
    But if your gonna spend anything on a bike.... suspension is the best money you can spend, i 've learnt that the long way round:lol3.
    3000 for the package or more?
  19. PowerCell

Oddometer:
    What do you mean by this?

20. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Hey Powercell, I understand you may have some experience with WP and Ohlins. However, there are those of us who do as well. I am one of them. I have seen your posts on this forum. You are not THE ONLY person with first hand experience on ADVRider. You have made very condescending pompous statements in this thread so far. Your original post in this thread is very opinionated that Ohlins suspensions are superior. It is just that: your opinion. Nothing more nothing less. I have ridden both suspensions and both both make a fine product for both the entry level and pro level. To say one is undoubtedly better than the other is ridiculous. When you post a poll, making statements like you have, you'd better expect opinions back. You're going to have to learn how to take it if you're going to dish it out. It seems as though when people contradict your opinion at all you flame them pretty hard. :deal