Modifications on my 2003

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Chev., Jul 5, 2010.

1. Chev.

Chev. The Final Drive?

Oddometer:
    Deservoed my 2003 yesterday, and put on some Spiegler steel braided lines.

So far, feels good. I'll let you know if I like it.

Also about to reinstall a final drive with (slightly) lower gearing, 2.91 or 3.0.

And yes. this summer I'll put on a y-piece and an aftermarket muffler as well.

This is my first bike, so I'm tempted to collect some experience. Time will tell if I feel being on the right track.

I'll update you on that.

I'm a Norwegian currently living in Kiev, Ukraine. First long test ride without the servo will be next weekend when I take the bike to Norway for vacation - and then back again. So the next weeks I'll do at least 7.000 km. Guess I know what I think after that.
  2. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    Super work! How did you handle the wiring issues? Brake switches, brake lights and stuff?
  3. Chev.

Chev. The Final Drive?

Oddometer:
    I followed these descriptions, and these

And I ordered these parts from a BMW dealer:
    • Vent hose with cover I-ABS - BMW Part number: 34517677998
    • For vehicles with Integral ABS = No FRONT STOP LIGHT SWITCH - BMW Part number: 61312305729
    • For vehicles with Integral ABS = No REAR STOP LIGHT SWITCH - BMW Part number: 61311459747
    • DISTRIBUTION PIECE - BMW Part number: 34327650965
    • Ventilation bolt - BMW Part number: 34327666398
    • Vent screw BMW Part number: 34211236793
    • DUST CAP - BMW Part number: 34211236794
    • Cap - BMW Part number: 34327666399
    I found the Spiegler lines for close out sale on internet. I didn't use the rear one as it was a bit too short due to the shift of attachment point on the master cylinder. Instead I reused the front line (a few centimeters longer), originally on the bike, for the rear brakes. Seems to work all fine.

Just because this is a new area to me I spent some time checking that I was going right with the rerouting of rear light, brake light and connecting the new switches. But it works as per described in the enclosed threads. :beer (Steptoe is the one who provided the concrete information on the rerouting connections - Thanks!)

For some reason the new switches came with another type of connections that didn't fit to the ones already on the bike, so I clipped them off all together, twisted the cables together and isolated with tape.

EDIT: Some time after I deservoed my bike, this description came up, might be a (slightly) better way to go by
  4. Chev.

Chev. The Final Drive?

Oddometer:
    Back in Ukraine after visiting Norway by bike for summer vacation. I've ridden 7,000 kilometers since my last post. Guess the claimed pros and cons of the servo is discussed thoroughly enough, and as we know there are different preferences with regard to the servo/ABS unit.

To me it's simple: My servo is not getting back on.

Pasing by Hamburg I purchased the Remus Y-piece and can. Put it on the bike, and the shop sent the cat and the original can to my home address in Norway. - But they are not getting back on the bike either.

Couldn't been happier about these changes. :rayof
  5. MartiniMan

MartiniMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Chev.

Chev. The Final Drive?

Oddometer:
    Exhaust works all fine. Bike runs very smooth, and I evaluate the richer sound.
  7. rocketman1

rocketman1 rocketman1

Oddometer:
    My 1150GS 2003, which I bought last weekend has Braided hose lines, Brakes work very well I must say. It also has a Neptune exhaust which has nice raspy note... aftermarket seat is very comfortable. also has twin air horns , wow do these make noise or what, you cannot say you didn't hear me.
    One thing I have noticed is that the bike sometimes backfires when changing down gears, I thought it may be a tuning issue, not that it worries me at all.
    Love the spoke wheels reminds me of the old sports car wheels, nice shiny spokes too.
  8. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
  9. Chev.

Chev. The Final Drive?

Oddometer:
    Put in a 32/11 final drive today. Thought I'd prefer the 33/11, but the 32/11 came with low mileage and low cost so as I do almost only on road I decided to try it. I go much two up together with girlfriend quite some luggage...

Now, the 32/11 is definitely a step in the right direction. Tried bike tonight just a few kilometers around town; noticeably smoother for that kind of driving.... But actually - have an idea that 33/11 could be optimal for my kind of driving (!)

OK - as mentioned earlier, collecting experience here. Now I think I know that for me/my kind of riding the 33/11 would be the thing to go for. I'll see if I'll find one at reasonable cost. Still the 32/11 performs way better than the stock 31/11 that never goes back on my bike. I'll keep you updated if I get the chance to try the 33/11.
  10. Chev.

Chev. The Final Drive?

Oddometer:
    While I am at it; telling about the modifications on my 2003 1150 GS, I should mention that when I bought it second hand (autumn 2008) it came with an Adventure wind screen which I really evaluate. - By the way: Yesterday I accidentally came by the web shop of Sierra BMW (www.sierrabmwonline.com) where they sell stock BMW 1150 Adventure wind screen to mount on the standard 1150 GS.
  11. Chev.

Chev. The Final Drive?

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear about it: No preaching here. Just telling about my modifications and how I feel about them. I fully acknowledge that my view is highly subjective and that other's would differ from mine but still have the same validity.

Latest weeks I have been reflecting on why I am so happy about having gotten rid of the servo/ABS while other highly evaluate this unit on their bikes. I am very sure that my braking distance has not become shorter, nor has my life on the bike become safer. Bike does the corners a bit faster with the lower weight (loss of servo and cat, and with a lighter muffler). It lifts the front wheel easier. but for me, I think the most important thing is the pleasure I get from a much clearer feeling of the friction between tires and the road, that I can block and release the wheels as I want, I can play a little more. Think I feel that I am riding the bike more than being a driver of a riding machine - compared to how is was with the servo/abs in place.

Sorry - not sure if this makes sense to anyone. But this is my perception for now. I'll get back to this and correct myself if I change my opinion in the future.
  12. Chev.

Chev. The Final Drive?

Oddometer:
    Next thing on the agenda now, I think, is the Öhlins - damn expensive so that would have to bee some time in future.

Think I would opt for the adventure ones (guess I'll change center stand and side stand also then). This is because we often go heavy loaded, and yes we travel on-road but some times the road conditions are quite poor.

I'll get back to you on the Öhlins when i happens.
  13. Chev.

Chev. The Final Drive?

Oddometer:
    Not exactly modification to the bike.... more a formalization of our (riding)life.

Nevertheless, couldn't been happier.

[​IMG]

.... And the 33/11 has arrived.
  14. Dan Cãta

Dan Cãta Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats :D:freaky
  15. sdpc2

sdpc2 Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer:
    she is a lovely bride, you lucky devil :clap
  16. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Sir,
    Taken my word for it: Even though the general sentiment begs to differ, it is possible to still be in
    love with a woman after several decades!

Having said that, on to other non-trivial things: Why not Wilbers?

[TaSK]
  17. Chev.

Chev. The Final Drive?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the congratulations and good wishes.

Congratulation to you too then! - And thank you for sharing the optimism. :thumb

That is certainly the question! I have no first-hand real-life experience with non original equipment suspension. And here were I currently live, in Kiev, there aren't many aftermarket shocks at all, let alone this kind of bike.

So I am trying to figure out my best choices by reading on the internet - which is not easy :eek1

The more preferable price of the Wilbers shocks would certainly be appreciated, and I may reconsider any time. One thing that scared me of a bit is how Margus and Kariina (inmates) have described their experiences with Wilbers shocks - Yes! the statistic validity is lousy. The stress on their bike is probably extreme, and their Öhlins broke too.

Riding in the areas we do, I think reliability is my priority no.1 (with something that has to be way better than stock suspension)

Approaching winter, new shocks will not come before spring. So I have still some time to better understand the alternatives, and to receive additional input.
  18. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Sir,
    I don't think Margus and Kariina is a good point of reference. I don't know anything about the roads
    where you live, but it must be (much!) better than Jemen!

Anyway: After 50.000 km I had my Wilbers serviced last winter. I had to pay 200 euro for two shocks, but that
    included shipping both ways (to a dealer here in Italy). Now they're as good as new and I expect them to
    last another 50.000 km. I bought Wilbers in the first place because I found the Öhlins to be too expensive.
    I ride quite a lot, but I'm a hobby rider. I don't think I will be able to know the difference between a Öhlins and a Wilbers.
    SO why, then, pay for it?

For the record: I ride about 10.000 km per year with A LOT of luggage (out of about 25-30.000 km. Last time I weighted the
    bike to be a whopping 520 kg (with both of us on it). The shocks have been just fine.

[TaSK]
  19. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Wilbers
    I got some and they made them for our weight (two person + camping kit).

Good bits of kit

Hay Ewe
  20. Chev.

Chev. The Final Drive?

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the positive testimony of the Wilbers. Maybe those are the ones I will end up with.

:thumb Maybe no reason to choose the Öhlins (when compared to Wilbers) after all?

Thanks for input.