Bryce Canyon & Zion in March?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Sox Fan, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Sox Fan

Sox Fan SoxFan

Oddometer:
    Considering a ride from Las Vegas to Bryce, Zion and some other stuff mid-March.

How is the weather in Bryce Canyon and Zion for riding that time of year? Looking to rent maybe a K1300s in Vegas and ride to Utah for a few days and back.

Not interested in riding on ice and snow. Plenty of that here in Michigan.
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It depends, that part of the world is significantly higher in elevation than Las Vegas. Check with the park service to get conditions in the parks. Buy the annual national park pass if you can get into Bryce and Zion, then sell it to another traveler.
  3. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

A BMW in Zion??? Nope, I don't know what you're talking about.

To your point. It could be dicey, but i'm guessing you'll be able to access Zion just fine. The problem may be Bryce. That park sits at over 7000'. If there are a few nice days before your ride, you'll be fine. Layer up or heat will be your friend. Zion is an easy ride from Vegas, just watch the for LEO's out by Mesquite and through the Virgin River Gorge. I have no idea how I know this:lol3.

At the very least try to make Zion and if Bryce is a 'no' go, then bail out to Valley of Fire, Red Rock Canyon. I'm sure hoping the weather cooperates for you, it is some tremendous real estate out there!

V of F state park....

[​IMG]

At the 9 & 89 east of Zion, Thunderbird Lodge for coffee & pie:thumb.
  4. Trumper

Trumper Eclectic Dilettante

Oddometer:
    Humboldt, California, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
    No way to predict the weather that far out, if snow has melted, still freezing over night, etc.

Note that Bryce is 9,000 feet. Pic I took a few years ago (in June) proves it:

[​IMG]

Check the National Park service for road conditions and have an alternate route prepared.
  5. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    I did CA to Bryce mid-March last year on my silver 1150RT too. Temps ranged from the 30s to the 90s in DV. The roads were dry to Bryce. Had some slush on the road near June Lake on 395. That was not relaxing. Great trip and incredible roads. Planning a return trip this Only in April this year.
  6. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on everything samthg said. Zion will probably be good, Bryce can be dicey. Valley of Fire would be a great alternative if the weather is crappy in the Zion/Bryce area.
  7. Sox Fan

Sox Fan SoxFan

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like we can't plan on good weather up there March. Too bad.

Now thinking of riding from Las Vegas and going south through Mojave Reserve, Joushua Tree park, check out the Salton Sea and head towards Yuma. Day 2 ride to Grand Canyon, day three ride back to las Vegas. Probably riding all tarmac, renting an RT or K1300GT.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated too.
  8. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Agree that Zion and especially Bryce will be cold/miserable in March, most likely.

Your more recent suggestion would be pretty good, Joshua is still relatively high and will be cold at night, if you're camping.

The coast will be much more temperate, but probably a bit far from Vegas.

What about Death Valley? Some good exploration through there, even on the road - though really good on a GS of some description. Weather is absolutely perfect in Death Valley in March.

dc
  9. Sox Fan

Sox Fan SoxFan

Oddometer:
    Indeed. We actually did DV last year March on rented R1200GS bikes. It was an awesome place to ride.

Just looking to do something different this year. (My company has a big meeting out there every March and you can stay extra days after the meeting at your own cost if you want and fly back on the company dime).