Rally WV 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by poondangle, May 21, 2013.

1. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    The way I look at it, every race demands someone to finish last. I think I can be that man. I mean, what good is it to the winner, if they can't point to the loser, right. Anyway, I'm old, fat, and slow, and this rally stuff looks fun as hell. So with that, I'm in this year. I've done some reading/research from last year. It appears to be somewhat beginner friendly. I wanted to start a thread since we're about 10 weeks out to see who else might be going, any free advice, lessons learned, lies about superior performances to be promulgated etc...
  2. Entrepre-neer

Entrepre-neer Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer:
    Definitely beginner friendly and definitely fun as hell!!!:deal

Only 10 weeks!:eek1

Which bike are you riding? 690?

Tons of great info in Rally University! Start here:
    http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/Rally-University

Supp regs from past years are always subject to change but they can give you a rough idea of schedule and important details specific to each race.

Make sure you plan on being at the Novice Competitor Orientation. Tons of valuable experience and knowledge there.
  3. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:

Yep, bringing the 690. I've looked, but haven't found last years supp regs. I'm glad you brought that up. This really will be my vacation for the summer. I just don't know when I need to show up. Should I plan on being there all day Thursday, or Friday?
  4. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Novice orientation was friday nite 6-9. Bring 5 bucks, a drink and something to eat. You may even want to bring a chair. We were stuffed in a room last time. Be sure to hook up with your mate in front and behind you. If the guy in front of you is cool, you could transit together to shed a bit of stress. Bring scissors, a small roll of packing tape and some highlighters for your roll chart, if you forget, no biggie. Someone will help you out. Rally WV 2012 was my first one and it was the best one in my opinion for a novice. Long stages, so you could improve easily....and the roads are a lot of fun. If you have a GPS, bring it....it's nice for transits.
  5. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    Ok, another complete noob question. I went on the NASA site and registered my bike, VIN, insurance, etc... What I don't know, is should I also register my truck as a "service vehicle"? I'm assuming that is what allows me, or whoever I can rope into coming with me, to drive my truck into the service area?

Sorry about all the questions, but as I always say, there's no dumb questions, just a dumb person asking it. Honestly, I'm not worried about the riding. (I have the luxury of being slow, so there aren't any expectations) But the logistics of it all seem a bit much.

I look forward to meeting everyone there. I'll be sure to bring extra adult beverages in exchange for the online help.
  6. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Hey: the entry is up at

http://www.rallywv.com/

I must be out of the loop. already a bunch signed up, I just found out.

Jack
  7. Hypermofo

Hypermofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not signed up yet but mentally committed, just need to work out logistics... really looking forward to my second rally!

Now i need to go dig up that list of things i would do different/improve from rally sandblast...
  8. fortizgur

fortizgur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello to all, I'm a total newbie to this kind of stuff,,, I'v ridden hare scrambles and have no issues on bike,,, but this navigation thing, well never seen it before. My question?? with some videos I have seen of others in this event, I see the rider never scroll the roadbook?? I'm I missing something here?? thanks in advance,, I'm considering participating in July WV rally.
  9. SquadraCorse

SquadraCorse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I'm in for this one, will be my first rally.
  10. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Its going to be a good one. 165 stage miles!! :eek1:eek1

I wont be able to make this one, sadly :-(

But I highly recommend you guys jumping on the VRBO bandwagon at your earliest opportunity,and getting lodging squared away... the condo's at Logger's Run are my personal favorite, but remember, getting enough people to make the cost reasonable is key.

So you know- there wont be any navigation on the actual stage routes. THey are all closed course, and in this rally theyre all on private land anyway.

your only nav will happen on the transits, and can therefore be taken pretty casually. Service area and the start line/ lodging are all in teh same place: at teh top of teh mountain, so its all easy to find.
  11. Stagehand

Oddometer:

its a different surface- all gravel and dirt road/double track. Barely any deep sand.
  12. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    :clap
    I saw that you have a number for Baja Rally de Motos!:clap
    We'll miss you at RWV for sure but go get'em in Baja!
  13. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    I would still make this if I could get out of work, but if could get out of work, I would still have to get out of the family vacation that I'm getting out of to work :-/
  14. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    Had to do some crafty Google Foo.

http://www.rallywv.com/images/2012_Rally_West_Virginia_SupRegs_Final_70412.pdf

Here's the preliminary itinerary(subject to change)

[​IMG]

The overall schedule for the weekend should be very similar to what is in the supp regs. Of course the updated supp reg and general rules will be the law so check the website for updates.
  15. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    Got it!:huh

:D
  16. fortizgur

fortizgur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what are the average speeds in the specials? Also, i figure on the tranist you must obey traffic speed laws?? thanks
  17. fortizgur

fortizgur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just saw Entrepre-neer's chart,,, using that data, i figured the target average miles per hour for the SS's for section 1 @ 33mph, section 2 @ 50MPH, section 3 @48MPH, section 4@ 32MPH,,,, my math could be wrong could anyone verify or give your opinion on experience... basically I just want to know what speeds in special stages are the norm... THanks in advance.
  18. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Its a relative concept. Everyone is going as fast as they possibly can before crashing. For some, thats 30mph. For some thats 60. Just do your best :D
    And dont crash :thumb
  19. fortizgur

fortizgur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    goodpoint stagehand,,,, there I was again getting carried away with to much info :norton,,, I'm just going to try it and have fun,, get some experience, Thanks!
  20. Hypermofo

Hypermofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, for sure... i'm thinking more about the mental aspect, navigation, bike set up, prep, etc... what bugs to work out of the whole program.

Definitely getting more pumped thinking about it! Plus, double the stage miles as RSB... holy crapola:eek1