GS or GSA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Bumpaman, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Bumpaman

Bumpaman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Foot of the Sangre de Cristos and Music City, TX.
    That is the question. Is one more preferable than the other? For what reasons?
    Is the GSA much more top heavy than the GS? Is the GS a better performer than the GSA because it is lighter? If you have owned and ridden both, I would like to benefit from your experience. I am new to the world of BMW adventure bikes but am getting one real soon. Just not sure which one. GS or GSA.........hmmmmmmmmm. thanks very much for listening
  2. BTL

BTL No more snow!!

Oddometer:
    St Albert. Alberta Canada. IBA Member 50093
    check out the thread

RT to GSA

should help you out.
  3. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    I have one of each and rather than repeat my impressions would urge you to use the search function on this frequently discussed topic.
  4. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. amos100

amos100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll bite. Bought a GSA last August after test riding a GS (no GSA demo) and was in the garage last night looking at the GSA thinking about this very question. The only downside to the GSA I've encountered is the extra height to get the leg up and over. But once I'm up I'm very glad I have the GSA. I like the extra height, the bigger gas tank (my other bike has to be filled up about every 100 miles), the taller wind shield, the side shields, the pannier mounts and panniers, crash bars, cylinder guards, extra lights, ESA (I'm probably missing something.) I've always felt the extra money was well spent and glad I went with the GSA. Riding this thing in the sweet spot of the power band through the twisties, and on the highway is a treat. I seem to always keep taking turns that will lead away from home until I finally give up and "have" to head home.
  6. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could anything more possibly be said?
  7. It'sNotTheBike

It'sNotTheBike Banned

Oddometer:

The more pertinent question is : are there other bikes which are better
    when used for real adventure riding which actually includes
    off road riding ? And the answer is a resounding yes.

The KTM 990 Adventure is superior in any sort of off
    road conditions and doesn't have the final drive failures
    and CANBUS hassles which come with a BMW.

The BMW is about as off road worthy as the Cadillac
    Elvis drove.

Do yourself a favor and test ride a KTM 990 before you buy a
    BMW. I've ridden a 1200 GSA and I couldn't wait to get
    back on my KTM. And when I did, all I could think was :
    "Now THIS is what a motorcycle should be like"

Of course the BMW fanboys won't agree with this, but
    I speak the truth and I have no dog in the hunt other than
    speaking the truth.

8. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    Actually it depends upon your expectations and intended use. The KTM is much more a hard core off road bike. If you plan to use the BMW as a touring platform with some light off roading I suspect you'd be much better satisfied with it than the KTM.

Or you could just step up to the ultimate.:deal

[​IMG]
  9. amos100

amos100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would agree with Stevie88. Depends on expectations. The KTM may well be better suited for hard core off road. Wouldn't know. I'm not taking the GSA off road. I'm not taking any bike off road. Only 4 wheels for that. But as a road bike, the GSA is the best of the big bikes I've ridden.

It's all a matter of individual taste anyway. I've had bikes I really disliked, a BMW R1150 RT comes to mind that I kept for 1800 miles, but other folks really liked them. Great, I'm glad they found something they like.
  10. srpuywa

srpuywa Big 'G'

Oddometer:
    I've ridden my buddys KTM 990 and it is a great motorcycle but I wouldn't tour on it anymore than I would take my GSA on single track with a full tank and bags.

He says the maintenance on the 990s is a bitch removing all the farings

GS & GSAs can do a lot of things if your wallet is fat enough
  11. GSAdict

GSAdict GSAdict

Oddometer:
    When i read this thread i asked myself these 2 simple questions:
    Do i know anyone who owned a GS then bought a GSA- YES
    Do i know anyone who owned a GSA then bought a GS - NO
    But thats just me.....
  12. srpuywa

srpuywa Big 'G'

Oddometer:
    I bought my GSA from a dealer who got it in on a trade from an older gentleman who downsized to a GS, he wanted a lighter bike

mine never made it to the show room floor
  13. Bumpaman

Bumpaman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Foot of the Sangre de Cristos and Music City, TX.
    Thanks for all of the input everyone. Sounds like a GSA is the choice of many. I have owned a KTM 950 ADV for a couple of years and it is an awesome bike, but not a 2up tourer. We used a 2012 GS in NZ for three weeks, on slab and on gravel, and we were very impressed. Never thought the wife would want to give up the Harley road sofa, but second day we were on it the GS was destined to be our next bike. Just want to make the right choice. Thanks for the benefit of your experience
  14. Hennepinboy

Hennepinboy Adventure Eater

Oddometer:
    I am sure that some will not like this posting.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Owning a 08 R1200GS Adventure and an 92 Airhead GS, I found the GS Adventure to be the Hummer of motorcycles. It looks big and bad, a go anywhere motorcycle, in reality like the Hummer it is not. Way too heavy, the GS Adventure will wear you down quickly when the going gets tough, try turning the bike around on a narrow trail when you get into a place where you can no longer go forward or man handling it out of a wash out when you don&#8217;t have the power or traction to ride out. I have ridden the GS Adventure in places I had wished that I had not gone.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    You never hear anyone say that &#8220;They wish they had a heavier motorcycle&#8221;<o:p></o:p>
    The GS Adventure is a great road bike, will carve curves better then my 02 R1150RT, feels like it is on rails very solid and steady. With the large tank, gas no longer becomes a concern (try riding back roads across South Dakota on a Sunday morning there are some long distances without open gas stations).<o:p></o:p>
    I was purchasing a GS I would get the plain GS and not the Adventure. It is not worth the extra weight the cash difference for the small amount of cool the Adventure brings.<o:p></o:p>
  15. srpuywa

srpuywa Big 'G'

Oddometer:
    my GSA replace a K1200LT - that's a heavy pig, makes the GSA feel like a KTM :D

but having a bike with heated seats, cruise control, and a 6 CD changer was pretty cool

only had it for 7 months - it does not fit tall riders

[​IMG]
  16. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    It's sad when someone crashes a thread. I've had GS, GSA, 950S, and 950SER. There were things that I liked and disliked about all of them. I use to have to work hard to put 4000 miles on my KTMs a year. That was because they were broken down all the time. Yes I would not ride my GSs on some of the trails that the KTMs went down. But guess what most people around here are leaving the 990s for lighter 500s. So it's all a matter of perspective.
    It seems that the guy who started this tread is trying to figure out if he should get a GS or a GSA. I have my preference there too. But I am not going to say.
  17. jachard

jachard Been here awhile

Oddometer:

+100. It'sNotTheBike frequently comes here to diss on BMW's... Ironic given his handle...
  18. Mr.Mushman

Mr.Mushman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Bumpaman, when I was looking to get into BMW, I had the same question, GS or GSA ? Will I need the bigger tank, will I be able to handle it, will it be too heavy off road, is it just too much of a bike ? Rode a 2007 GSA for a minute or two and ended up getting a Red 2012 GSA and lovin it each and every I go for a ride. I always loved the beefier look of the GSA, the fact that I don't have to refuel too often is also a plus and I know the restrictions of taking such a "pig" off road, I also know its limitations as well as mine. On the highway it is a dream and you will also have a blast in the twisties, if you have experience riding bikes and big bikes you'll get used to the weight in no time and in my opinion the GSA is well worth "the extra pennies" ... But then again this is just my humble opinion ...

Keep us updated !
  19. Dude69

Dude69 Usurper of Gov'ts

Oddometer:
    Or short riders
  20. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:

I find your rant weak & you are pretty much a troll hanging out on Gspot.

You say you have "no dog in the hunt" but I suspect your quest is to be a smarmy douchebag. I'm not calling you that, but suggesting that is your goal.

I find your screen name ironic considering your tirade is all about your wonderful KTM......One would assume that you posess skills that render all bikes nearly equal.

Besides who would take your advice? You're a freaking newb....Go make me a sammich newb.