XR650R Rubber mounted handlebars with SUB

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ztsd, Mar 24, 2006.

1. ztsd

ztsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK you XR650R Dual Sport Adventurers! I’m trying to put together a group buy for a custom made triple clamp that uses the CRF450 rubber mounts and ALSO has mounts for a SUB mount damper for our XR650Rs. :clap

This should greatly reduce the handlebar vibration and shock impact. Also, it should be a LOT better for any electronics (GPS, digital speedometers) you want to run on the bike.

I’m looking at getting the triple clamp and SUB mount ONLY. This gives a lot of possibilities. You get rubber-mounted bars right away. Guys that already have a damper can use what they have. Guys that don’t want a damper right a way can hold off and get it later. If you already have the SUB damper, you can upgrade to rubber-mounted bars and eBay the old stuff.

I don’t have any prices right now but I think we will get a real good deal compared to what’s available right now WITHOUT rubber-mounted bars. BE ADVISED that the buy will not be for awhile, probably a month or so…

THIS MAY BE A ONE SHOT DEAL! NO ONE MAKES A RUBBER-MOUNTED HANDLEBAR SETUP FOR THE XR650R!!! I’ve written to all the companies that do SUB mounts and they all said they would NOT do a rubber-mounted version for the XR650R!!!

If you have any interest, please let me know now, you MAY NOT get a second shot at this once the order has been placed.

Tom Doherty
  2. ztsd

ztsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I’ve got 4 people that want a total of 5 clamps so I can start the ball rolling and get a price for the triple clamp and SUB mount. I’ll post a price as soon as I can…
  3. ztsd

ztsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    UPDATE:

All this is VERY tentative right now. I’ve been researching this for months and even went as far as buying a triple clamp for the CRF450 off eBay. After taking a look at it I found that it needs a LOT of modification. I started talking to Michael who modified the CFR450 clamps for the XR650R, but he used the CRF450 forks as well. They are the upside down jobs and much larger diameter than the XR. Michael also made his own SUB damper mount before anyone else came up with the idea.

He told me to try Ron Wallace of RSW Racing. Ron’s web site is: http://www.rswracing.com/ I talked to Ron Friday and he’s somewhat interested in the project and we need to hash out the details. He said he needed about 5 units to break even on the development work to make it worthwhile, and now I have people interested in 9 units. The interest is higher than I expected.

He currently has triple clamps for the XR650R, but they, like all the other manufactures, don’t have the rubber mounts. Michael is willing to give Ron the information to make the SUB mount. What I’m trying to do is get Ron to work up a deluxe triple clamp kit that will be similar to the BRP SUB setup for the CRF only fit the XR.

I already talked to BRP and they said they wouldn’t be doing a rubber-mounted kit for our bikes. I also tried several other places as well. No one has any interest in such a low volume fab. Fortunately, Ron seems willing to do this in the hopes that it will become popular. I told Ron that the XR650R is becoming a popular bike to Dual Sport and he would be in the catbird seat if he could offer something that no one else has’

You can check out the normal clamps Ron’s site. I’m hoping that I can get Ron to work up a prototype that I can test and once we get it dialed in, he can go into production. He will have to front some bucks for the tool that makes the cones for the rubber washers and also come up with the SUB mount as well.

I think this is an excellent project as the little riding I have done on the XR650R sure makes bar vibration a priority, for me anyway. We haven’t even talked prices at this stage, but I would be willing to pay the BRP price if it meant getting rubber mounted bars. If it works out cheaper then that's gravy...

So, as you can see, this may or may not get off the ground. I was going to go with the BRP kit, but I’m willing to hold off for a better solution, how about you?

Tom D.
  4. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    has ron looked into exsisting rubber cones ala crf? that would lower costs.

have you tried filling your bars? silicone, bb's etc ?

best of luck , I may be interested but would need a price, hey I'm cheap
    the Rezanco seat comes first.
  5. ztsd

ztsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we are planning on using the CRF450 rubber cones.

I’m also planning on new tall bars and I’ll use a silicon calk to seal the bars at the first bend from the end, fill the ends out to 2” with lead birdshot and then seal the ends with more silicon calk. This should maximize the vibration reduction when coupled with rubber mounted bars. I also picked up some 3” wide rubber street pegs that I’m gonna modify to fit the existing mount. Then I can swap out the rubber pegs for the stock pegs for muddy dirt riding and the rubber pegs should greatly reduce vibration for dual sporting.

Keep an eye on this thread for further info as it becomes available!

Tom D.
  6. Trailsurfer

Trailsurfer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out the flex bars from www.fasstco.com, I know some guys that are very happy with them. I think they may do what you are looking for.

I use the BRP sub-mount and am very happy with it. I don't know if the flex bars will work with the sub-mount but I believe they will.
  7. ztsd

ztsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey TrailSurfer,

I have already looked into the flex bars. I asked around and several people told me they are great for shock impact (landing a jump) but not so hot damping vibration. While they do have rubber bumpers, there still is a direct metal-to-metal connection at the hinge.

I’d rather put the $$ toward a SUB mount damper with rubber isolated bars. I’m also going to fill the bar ends with lead birdshot using silicone caulk to seal on each side of the birdshot. I’ve heard this is very effective for vibration dampening as the lead shot absorbs more energy than solid weights. This is the principal with a Dead blow hammer.
  8. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    KX kawasaki used same size kayaba forks, early 90's?
    anything made for those or other same size fork? 46mm, a street application?
  9. ztsd

ztsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [FONT=&quot]We’re currently up to 9 units and counting... :evil
    [/FONT]
  10. ztsd

ztsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [FONT=&quot]Things are coming along... Up to 11 units and counting. Latest development: Looks like the price for the top triple clamp and bar clamps/SUB will come in at under $150! Stay tuned! :clap
    [/FONT]
  11. ztsd

ztsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK you XR650R Adventure types! Start saving your pennies! Great news!

Here’s the latest update I got on the SUB Triple Clamp with Rubber Mounted Handle Bar Clamps!

==============

We are working on a new top triple clamp with rubber-insulated bar mounts- the same as come on CR's and CRF's. The bar mounts will be about 1" taller and 1" further forward than stock. The clamp will be ready to bolt a damper to (if you choose), and the bar position and size (standard 7/8" or 1-1/8" fat bars) will be independent of the triple clamp/ damper, via different available bar clamps.

The whole setup (less steering damper) will be somewhere around $125.

We'll have a solid answer on price in about a week.

Mike

==============

You get the triple clamp, SUB mount and the bar clamps.

You supply the Bars, CRF450 rubber cones and washers, Scott’s Stabilizer, Tower and Connector. This means that you can get the setup and enjoy higher, forward bars right away then add the stabilizer later! Cool deal!

Once the Triple Clamps are in production I’ll try to hook up a deal for a group buy on the stabilizer package for those who want it ALL NOW!

:clap

More information coming as it becomes available!
  12. xr650rmAINE

xr650rmAINE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have any pic`s, Is the price still 125.00+-. Cool Idea...
  13. pburke

pburke Talks more than he rides

Oddometer:
    even though I won't haxe the bike for another 3-4 weeks, I do know I will need to do something about the bar (up and forward primary concern), so there's a good chance I'll get me something like this setup. Is this going to be a small group buy of a custom part or does that last update mean there'll be a regular product available to anyone?

Peter
  14. ztsd

ztsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The latest word is the rubber cones will come with the clamp this will probably bump the price up a little but I think it will be cheaper than buying the Honda part... Waiting to hear more...
  15. ztsd

ztsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [FONT=&quot]Sounds like your timing will be good, that’s when the clamp is suppose to be ready... There are about 15 people that have expressed an interest and when I get the word that they are going into production I’ll contact everyone and give them a chance to get in on the deal. We had enough interest for Ron to do the development work. I think if things work out well, he may just make it a stock item but no promises till after the initial run. Everyone will get a chance to jump in on the initial buy so don’t sweat it...

Just as a reminder, there is a SUB mount already for the XR650R from BRP and from Scott’s directly. HOWEVER, neither one have rubber mounted bar clamps. Ron’s rubber mounted bar clamps should help reduce handlebar vibration which is important for Adventure riding.
    [/FONT]
  16. xr650rmAINE

xr650rmAINE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By all means keep me posted. So does this set-up raise up the bars etc?Can you use 7/8 or the 1 1/8 bars in the clamps? Gene:clap
  17. ztsd

ztsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bars have to be raised to clear the damper. Ron is planning to raise the bars and move them forward also. Probably about an inch each way. He is planning to supply a choice of 7/8” or a 1 1/8” with an option to get both. Since I just got the 1 1/8 bars and an adaptor, I could go either way but will probably go with the 1 1/8” bar clamps and scrap the adaptor. Ron is trying to work a design that will give the maximum flexibility and possibly be portable to other triple clamps he supplies. Time will tell!
  18. xr650rmAINE

xr650rmAINE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you know when they will be ready for delivery?. What 1 1/8" bars do you have?(width/height?model) I don`t want to have to buy longer cables. Thanks
  19. ztsd

ztsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The latest word is a prototype will be ready in a week or so and if it works out the triple clamps will be put in production. There was a snag with the custom rubber cones and he’s going back to the CRF450 cones. I’m happier about that myself.

Since I needed taller bars, I picked up the Protaper Contour Pastrana FMX 02-4810
    Width: 30.5” (775mm) Height: 4.75” (121mm) Pullback: 2.17” (55”)
    Along with an adaptor to mount them to the stock clamp. Works great for now but they are buzzy. Didn’t have to get longer cables but I did have to reroute them.

The extra height is super! Seems much easier to stand up and it is much more comfortable standing!

Don’t know if the extra height of the SUB will be a problem. Oh, I’m running the QS and it comes with longer throttle cables. I think I’ll be able to get by with the current cables with the new clamp, but I really wont know until I try it.
  20. ProMed

ProMed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any idea on how long production would take? I am really looking forward to trying this system out on the piggy. Thanks for taking your time to get all of this set up!