what do you wear when riding?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by braindigitalis, May 23, 2013.

1. braindigitalis

braindigitalis Wet weather sucks!

Oddometer:
    As it says in the title :D

What do you wear at different times of the year? Do you feel what you wear is adequate protection from the weather?

I'll start:

All year round i wear two part racing leathers - jacket and pants. I ride a scooter so this gets a few laughs from passing motorists however i'd rather look daft than look dead :rofl In the winter, i add layers underneath - windproof jacket and a fleece. This works well.
    I also wear winter gloves, or in the summer thin summer gloves, and if the weather gets real bad i turn on the heated grips. No heated clothes though.

What about the rest of you?
  2. Capt Crash

Capt Crash Motorcycle Bon Vivant

Oddometer:
    Clean underwear.

(Mom's right you know.)
  3. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    As much mesh as possible! Yesterday for example it was 91 degrees or so. I was hot. Not so much my upper body (Icon Hooligan Mesh Jacket) but my legs. I have some Firstgear over-pants that are textile and pretty impervious to air flow. At 90 like yesterday my legs get pretty warm. These pants are great October-April, but I really need a good set of mesh overpants for late spring-early fall. July and August the temps will be 100-105 every day; unfortunately, I will not ride much then unless I can get some cooler gear. Even then its not fun showing up where places covered in sweat. No way around it when its this hot and humid to boot.

The Icon jacket is new, I've only had it a week. So far I like it, except that the forearms are a full textile material instead of being mesh. So, my lower arms get much warmer than the rest of my upper body. Also, I bought the hi-viz yellow for 2 reasons. First, its hi-viz. Second, its not black. I found with my previous jacket that it does not reflect heat, but rather absorbs it (what is that, 3rd grade science class lessons at work?).

Gloves are not that big of a deal here, just something that will protect you if you go down. In the winter a decent pair of warm gloves is all you need. It rarely gets below freezing for more than a few days.
  4. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Joe Rocket textile jacket for anything under about 80. It has a removable wind/rain liner and a removable liner for cold weather. When it gets real cold I can add a sweat shirt. I also have a heated vest but I have not wired my current bike for it. Over 80 I have a Rev'it Air textile jacket that I love, keeps me comfortable in triple digit temps.
    For pants I have Tourmaster with removable wind/rain liner and removable cold weather liner. When all the liners are out they are comfortable over 100. True 4 season gear.
    I have worn out Joe Rocket gloves that I need to replace. I have liners that I wear under them when the temps start to drop and when it gets cold I have Harley cold weather gloves that do a good job but are bulkier than I would like.
    I also have a balaclava when it gets real cold.
  5. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear only a bandana while riding, so I can hear when my guardian bell is ringing.

I learned that trick in a video.

:hide
  6. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    i wear kevlar overpants and first gear jacket.
    i layer so i can be comfortable.
    for me the textile stuff is more comfortable than leathers and i have crash tested them
    so i feel they offer good protection.
    in the morning i usually wear the olympia windtex gloves but also keep some lighter gloves
    for the ride home.
    oxtar boots and full face helmet.
  7. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shoei Qwest Full Face
    REV'IT Leather Jacket
    Forcefield Pro-Sub 4 back protector
    SPIDI Carbo Track Gloves
    Lean Angle Jeans
    REV'IT racing socks
    Spidi XP-3 Boots

I don't skimp on protection.
  8. BryonLewis

BryonLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I start riding if it is above 36F
    Joe Rocket SuperEgo Hybrid leather jacket, when colder either long sleeve or hoodie underneath, when warmer unzip the leather and it's a mesh jacket
    36F-45F Icon patrolman gloves
    45F+ Joe Rocket Moto Air gloves
    Jeans no matter the temp, may look into some kevlar ones soon
    Over the ankle boots
    double socks when below 45F
  9. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tourmaster Sonora Hi-Viz 3/4L mesh jacket with rain/wind liner and thermal liner. I treat this with CampDry HD. I'm not averse to a few other mesh jackets and liners in the closet either. I prefer orange or green hi-viz.

Tourmaster Flex pants. These are all-year pants. I treat these with CampDry HD.

Gloves with knuckle armor, for the season. I treat these with CampDry HD.

Boots that cover the ankles, sometimes even offroad boots like my Fly Racing Maverik ATV boots.

DOT full-face helmet. I usually find something for under $150US.

Acerbis Cosmo for chest/back/kidney armor when offroad.

Separate knee/shin and elbow/forearm guards for offroad.

Wicking under-garments, long or short. Sometimes, I'll forego the jacket and wear a hi-viz wicking t-shirt with just the Cosmo protector and some elbow/forearm guards.

Quick-dry socks.

This keeps me fairly comfortable and protected from below freezing to above 90F...rain, snow, or shine.
  10. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Harley Jacket, Screaming Eagle!

[​IMG]
  11. vulgar1

vulgar1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Roadcrafter two piece suit, Scorpion exo-900 helmet, CBT lite boots, and seasonally appropriate gloves. Usually with regular clothes on underneath. When I am touring I wear shorts and a underarmor shirt under the suit. If its cold I will add a fleece and a neck wrap if I need it.
  12. Reduxalicious

Reduxalicious Or is it?!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. Fibzzz

Fibzzz Resident Cynic

Oddometer:
    Shoei RF1100 hi-viz
    Klim Badlands Pro suit (t-shirt and riding shorts (Klim or bicycle shorts) under it and vents wide open in summer; long-sleeve thermal shirt and full-length thermal underwear, sometimes a fleece vest in colder months)
    Alpinestars Scout boots always
    Dainese Sickle gloves in mild temps
    Rev'It Alaska GTX gloves in 45-60 deg temps
    BMW ProWinter 2 gloves below 45 deg
    Gerbings heated vest below 45 deg
    Klim neck warmer under 60 deg (absolutely LOVE that thing!)
  14. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have heated grips on your scooter? Nice!
  15. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of that, this stuff is real nice...especially under Kevlar reinforced Jeans..

[​IMG]
  16. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Almost all BMW models now have heated grips, including the scooters and the S100RR sport bike. Real common on Beemers. Many models have heated seats too, and the K16GTL has a heated backrest for the passenger.

Anyway, I ride in an Olympia Jacket, HJF FF helmet (all the time), gloves (all the time, various motorcycle gloves), boots (all the time, TCX Matrix boots) and jeans. My one concession to ease of wear is the jeans. Though I know I really should be wearing riding pants with as much protection as my jacket, helmet, boots and gloves. I also ALWAYS ride with the right attitude, that it is ALL up to me alone to reduce my riding risks. I expect nothing from any other road users in my favor.
  17. SkiFastBadly

SkiFastBadly A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer:
    Depends.

Get it? I kill me!

Ok so really, I alternate between the HD FGXR Jacket and leather pants (with ass intact) and the Olympia textile jacket & pants I have. I'm actually not sure of the model number on the jacket, it's an all weather fully armored thing I got on sale about five years ago.

Neither one is completely waterproof, the Olympia is probably a better bet in the rain when the linings are in. The leather, of course, is safer and warmer, but it's heavy gear.

Gloves, I have a mess of different ones, warm weather, cold weather waterproof, etc. Helmet is Shoei RF1000 most of the time but weirdly, it fogs up way easier than any helmet I've had before so if it's pissing out I'll go with a HJC I have.

Boots are waterproof SIDIs which are only sort of waterproof.

This waterproof thing is kind of a big deal to me since I live in the PNW....
  18. braindigitalis

braindigitalis Wet weather sucks!

Oddometer:
    Yup, aftermarket addons. Had them fitted at the dealer as soon as I could afford it (I am not really mechanical and didn't want to void the two year warranty either!) my very first scooter didn't have them and I didn't see the point, but my second scooter I rode through a particularly bad winter and bit the bullet and got them. Now, I can't ride in winter without them, it turns even the coldest UK day into bearable riding ...I do miss having a tall windscreen though that I had installed on my last scoot as I found it really good for wind and rain protection but I don't have the money right now so that will have to wait a few months I think... Maybe next winter :-)
  19. Spartanfan88

Spartanfan88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Always wear:
    Gloves (Usually leather with armored knuckles)
    Helmet (HJC Snell and DOT)

For around town:
    Jeans
    Mesh jacket with armor (either fieldsheer or olympia)
    Cowboy boots or my motorcycle boots

Okay I admit some times in Florida if staying at 45mph or less I will just wear street clothes. Not the best idea, but it happens.

Longer rides at speed below 70mph:
    Cortech jeans with leather lining and knee armor
    Olympia air glide
    Teknic boots

Highway:
    Either over armored over pants and my olympia air glide or aerostitch road crafter
    Teknic boots
  20. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    allways my revvit sand jacket and pants. I need pockets. just peeling the lining as it gets hotter.

always my ldcomfort undergarment long sleeve shirt. full or half length ldcomfort short.