Need Chain for Tiger 800XC in Guatemala

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by jjhubbard51, Oct 19, 2013.

1. jjhubbard51

jjhubbard51 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The connecting link on my chain broke the other day just outside Rabinal, Guatemala. I was taking the route less traveled with an overloaded bike. I had an extra repair link with me and with the help of some locals was moving again in two hours.

I am now in Antigua, Gua. and I speak little useful Spanish. What I am looking for is someone one in the area who would have a new chain. The Specs section of the owner's manual, it says:

DID O-ring, 122 link (Tiger 800 XC).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Johnny Hubbard
    jjhubbard51@gmail.com
    jjhubbard51laa.blogspot.com
  2. TeeVee

TeeVee His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer:
    there is some debate on whether the manual is correct. count your links. my buddy owns the triumph dealership in nicaragua. are you heading that way? can yo make it?
  3. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of moto parts stores on the wide, boulevard type street that runs north-south past the artisan market on the west side of antigua.

There is a guy who posts here as MotoMundoAntigua that has a shop there. I have no personal experience with him, but it should be simple enough for him to get whatever you need.

Or, stop by the Moto Cafe, on 6th Calle, across from the Tanque La Union, english spoken, and they can tell you where to find what you need.

You will also need to know the chain series, probably a #520 ,525 or 530, to get the right parts. Also be aware that different chain mfg'ers can have different pin diameters and side plate thicknesses, if you are just getting a new link and not a whole new chain.
  4. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. jjhubbard51

jjhubbard51 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hola Gentleman,

I have taken the bike to Taz at Motomundo here in Antigua. I will keep you posted on the experience.

Johnny
  6. motomundo antigua

motomundo antigua Tukker Motorsports

Oddometer:
    Suzuki, Yamaha, and Honda dont have 1, Triumph does not even have 1 spare part for their bikes. Motopolis has a chain but only 120 link, but were very helpful. I will order in 525 chains, so in the future we will have them here.
    Cheers

Taz