LED turn signal problem

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by busmonkey, Nov 15, 2012.

1. busmonkey

busmonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently installed LED turn markers on an 06 klr. Put the rears on first to see if i liked em. Like em. So with oem fronts and led rears needed to install new electronic relay. All was fine. Install same led set up in front and anger the moto elves. I now have four way fashers....grrr. I have checked connections and ground with no luck. Any suggestions ? Yes i know its a KLR but i had worse issues with my KTM :lol3
  2. fierostetz

fierostetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    do some googling, you don't have enough resistance in the system for the turns to work properly. this issue is very well documented.
  3. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    do you have a single dash light for the signals? if so, that's it. you can google and fix, or just pull the indicator light
  4. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want to maintain a dash indicator for your signals... you just need one of these:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/719/Diode-Kit

Either that, or just go to Radio Shack and pick up a package of misc diodes and solder up your own.
  5. The Shred

The Shred Airventurer

Oddometer:
  6. busmonkey

busmonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all Installed diodes, problem solved.:clap
  7. Cobain

Cobain night owl

Oddometer:
    do you have to install diodes inline of each led or just the indicator light. I went led's all around and ended up just unplugging the indicator light.
  8. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just inline with each of the leads to the indicator light itself. That way current won't bleed through to the left when you signal right and vice versa.
  9. Cobain

Cobain night owl

Oddometer:
    I did leds all around and took out the indicator light, if i did the diode thing just for the indicator light would they still wig out?
  10. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope, diodes in line with each of the positive leads going to the indicator will prevent them from wigging out.

The only additional thing you have to do is join the two positive leads into a Y (AFTER the diodes) and then tap into a ground in the cluster behind the headlight to connect to the opposite lead on the indicator.