Desierto 3 Fairing for F800GS, whose got one?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AKTroy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Seems that Touratech has run out of there first batch. Thats means there has to be some inmate out there sporting one. My poker winnings are just about there but damn there proud of them.
    I need to be convinced on this one before dropping that kind of cash on something that "might'' be worth the money.
  2. wizze

wizze Wizze = Wise

Oddometer:
    I saw they were out too. I was wondering who the hell is buying them and why aren't they bragging about it??
  3. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    I like the looks of them too, but have yet to see one in the flesh. All the angles of them have made it look like they can't be used with these (headlight shroud):

[​IMG]

Or for that matter, the off road headlight grills? I've only seen photos of the Desierto from certain angles and it looks like it'd foul them, but it's unclear.

Also: For that sort of money and given the size of them, it'd be nice if it had some bars to mount rally computers, GPS etc. built into the cockpit of them. Anyone with one managed to knock up something for use with the Desierto 3?
  4. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    It would be on my 800 for sure if I owned one. I think you can use the off road headlight guard with it too....the adjustability of the shield is great
  5. AKTroy

Oddometer:
    My thoughts too. Ive yet to spring for the visor just because of that possibility.

Really surprises me none of the FF's on here has this fairing yet. Although man 800 bones is tough to swallow for it.

Another concern Ive got is how well it holds up on tip over's. That dumb ass front brake reservoir guard snapped off on me way too easily! Going to go with the Renazzo (sp?) replacement before the season gets here.
  6. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Granted it is the classic KTM Dakar look. I just don't happen to like that look. $800 bones is nothing when it comes to my baby.
  7. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's one of my concerns too. I can live with my tall £60 metal mule screen shearing in a crash. I'd be sobbing like a baby if I'd just spent almost ten times that and the screen crashed. I might contact TT and see if they just do the "screen" bit as a replacement (IE for if that breaks, but the base/mount is still fine).
  8. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    I'll let you all know when mine arrives in a week and a half.

"Man, why does my ass hurt like I have just been".....
    :lol3
  9. cisco

cisco old fat guy

Oddometer:
    You're just saying that so she doesn't try to break your leg again.
    Cisco
  10. jeffchri

jeffchri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, pics when you can! I just saw this in person at the Seattle MC show and it was a real eye-catcher.
  11. AKTroy

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  12. Downer

Downer Downer

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at that windshield for a year. Glad somebody has the guts to try it.
  13. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Oh no you ditn't??!! Did you?? :eek1

I look forward to seeing it on a real bike in real pictures.
  14. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    ssshhhh , my wife might hear..............
    :lol3
  15. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
  16. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Ill do a full pictoriol when I install it.
  17. wizze

wizze Wizze = Wise

Oddometer:
    So....how much of a rental fee to try out the setup?? :evil

We're gonna need a full ride report, of course.
  18. jeffchri

jeffchri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And to confirm - you can use both the headlight grill and headlamp shroud thingy just fine. I stopped by TT today and checked it out, and that's the right they have. The lower beak of the Desierto just barely grazes the shroud, but it didn't require any filing to make it fit ... though I'm assuming the headlight was actually pointing at the proper angle. One could imagine having to bump the headlight down a bit if the Desierto is too big ... and if that's the case, the file will be coming out when mine gets here ...

Also, there seems to be ample space for mounting brackets of various flavors - there are various support struts and plates, any of which could take a screw or three and serve quite nicely as a GPS mounting plate. My Zumo plans to move in there for the winter ...
  19. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Of course !
  20. TTRider

TTRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Touratech fairing hasnt any mount for a GPS or a Roadbook. Thats maybe the reason why only few riders want one.

If the Touratech fairing would be capable of mounting an IMO and a GPS and a roadbook i would already have this fairing.:wink:

Finally after searching all F 800 GS forums around - i come tothe conclusion that there isnt a really rallye fairing ( like for the 650 x or the whole LC4s ).

Thats absolutely inaccepatable for me !!! Nevertheless i will do it myself and it will look somehow similar to the nice fairings the Africa Twin guys from Italy do.:D

Imagine a lot of people would spend a lot of money for a good fairing and none of the big companies produces one.:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh