The diaries of an antsy traveller

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Natnewt, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing starts off a great ride report better than internet explorer deciding to shit the bed after writing out a massive and nice done intro...:fyyff you Microsoft.

Anyway back to the point.

I've moved around my whole life, between Europe and Canada several times, experiencing culture and sites at a young age never costing my family anything. "that sounds great" you might say. The truth of the matter is it wears on a person. My father was in the Canadian Forces 20 years served. Having to uplift your family so often that you never have a home to call your own or any long term friends is hard on a kid. I'm not going to sit here and bitch about my childhood but I need to make the point in saying, this lifestyle turned me into a person who can't sit still. I constantly need to change my environment and it reflects in my job. hobbies and every aspect of my life.

I have a grin from ear to ear as the end of this month approaches because as of June 29th my first, my virgin voyage and certainly not my last, begins. This month can't end fast enough. You all know what its like, the anticipation...the buying of new gear and farkles, prepping and planning making sure every detail is complete then the wait... the wait for the man to say "sure you can have 2 weeks off" on their terms of course. Waiting for the perfect time to begin your first official ride report, hoping to intrigue the massive with your travels, pictures and witty banter :) On that fateful Saturday 2 boys 2 girls and 2 bikes leave the bowels of Toronto and head to the beauty that is the east coast to experience lives as a nomad once again...Oddly I am overly comforted by this.

[​IMG]

I look forward to all the conversation, the tips and things to see along the way that you wonderful people will surely provide.

Here is my official shout out to those that made this happen in my head The Postman, Radioman, RTWDoug, Fishfund and a host of others that speed me along. Thank you for everything though you don't know what you did you took the time to share with us.

Thanks to my beautiful girlfriend my cohort Alekomotto and his girlfriend for all the insight, dedication, lists, mapping work and generally not punching me in the face :evil

Let the adventure begin!
  2. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ricky
  4. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much endless time did I spend asking and reading peoples pack lists only to realize how very personal it is it's impossible to take everything into consideration. This being the first trip it will prove whether or not I thought enough about it.
    There were multiple considerations involved on this trip; we are never far from civilization meaning we didn't really need to pack food or extra fuel, we are camping the majority of the time so we feel the need to be comfy to rest as much as possible between legs. Finally the 2 fems sitting on the back hitching rides on this lovely trip, you know they'll want their beauty products:rofl

Pack list:
    Tent- Redverz Expedition II The mansion of tents. Easy to setup/tear down and lots of fun space, well worth the $$$

[​IMG]

Sleeping bags and mattresses- Went with Exped gear packs small really comfy and can control heat very well and can't forget the cuddle factor :evil

[​IMG]

And don't forget you can turn into a human tampon
    [​IMG]

Cooking and Eating- The majority of what we will have will be boiled food; oatmeal, dehydrated packs or rations from the army nicely donated from a coworker. So, because I spend a lot hiking and eating in the woods anyway I chose this set up

[​IMG][​IMG]

Let me tell you that bitch can boil water in seconds it's ridiculous

Clothing and Accessories- We suited up I literally have nothing with regards to light packing warm clothes or base layers. As far as I read, quick cleaning and space are key to making everything fit and clothes take up the most space. I researched and ask questions and bugged people and had hour long conversations with sales people at our local outdoors store and finally came up with having to buy a dry bag to anchor to the bike...there's no way we could fit all gear and 2 peoples clothing for 2 weeks onto the bike. I bought gear from LDcomfort.com, Underarmour, Icebreaker (merino wool). I upgraded my bike gear to the new Scott adventure offerings the Dual Raid
    [​IMG]

I know right pretty snazzy:evil

The Sidi Goretex Canyons which is basically sex for your feet.
    [​IMG]

The Sena Bluetooth SMH10 Dual pack to chat along the way and I'm getting bored of this subject...:huh

Everything else I had and the rest of what's packed in the Jesses are tools, maintenance and emergency stuff that no fool would leave home without.

The bikes- Since its unveiling on 2008 I have had my eye on the every sexy BMW F800GS I love it! It's a beautiful piece of machinery leading me to purchase my first off the lot brand new vehicle last July and for her birthday I'm taking her east:lol3
    The other a 2012 DL 650....I got nothing he can chime in if he wants :D
    [​IMG]

Loaded in luggage and farkles she's ready to go. Even XM Satellite on the bitch. Riding with tunes is like having a hand in your pants, it's just fun.

Him, your average Greek guy with a last name impossible to pronounce and a compulsion to get into trouble.

[​IMG]

Me ....well you already know about me your studly everyday joe

[​IMG]

A worldly adventurer
    [​IMG][​IMG]

A cute kid

[​IMG]

An idiot

[​IMG]
    :evil

and what I love

[​IMG]

I'll have to get permission before I post pics of the girls in here. I know that's all you guys are waiting for anyway :lol3

Sneak peek

[​IMG]
  5. alekomotto

alekomotto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a man of little words.

So here is another pic of the bikes...
    [​IMG]

mine...
    [​IMG]
  6. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
  7. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those boots are so nice we both got a pair.

Weak post Alex why don't you talk about how stressed you are getting down to the last minute. I for one can't wait to see what state you're in when we leave next Saturday :evil

You should have let her out of the dressing room to roam free amongst the people that would have been epic.
  8. alekomotto

Oddometer:
    Stressed sure, but not because of the trip planning. Ensuring that all my personal/work items are dealt with.

As for letting her out of the dressing room? The world is not ready for her wrath just yet. NL is the testing ground ;)
  9. TOTim

TOTim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. I'm doing the same trip a few weeks behind you.
  10. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    subscribed

Glad you two rascals are taking the ladies to keep you in check!
    I am expecting regular updates here you know!
    Going to need some reading material during renos.

Beers at my new place once you kids are back.
  11. alekomotto

Oddometer:
    Good point. We would probably end up like this...
    [​IMG]
  12. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    Or like this
    [​IMG]

:hide
  13. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or like this
    [​IMG]

With a bad case of this
    [​IMG]
  14. alekomotto

Oddometer:
    All packed up. now need to put it on the bike.

[​IMG]
  15. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sitting on my couch watching Americas funniest Home Videos the night before we leave. The bike is packed and ready to go and though its only a 2 week jaunt half way across North America, to me it feels like I'm heading on my own around the world adventure. I keep second guessing my packing wondering if I'll have everything I need. I know I'm within civilization but my mindset is preparing for the big trip. This is my first of many trips and I'm already learning so much about every aspect of setting myself up for my ride. However these 2 weeks will be the test.
    I have several pictures and updates to do about electronic and documentation equipment but my laptop is packed and posting from my phone is overly painful. Know that sleep will be hard to come by tonight as I'm both nervous and excited. This is about to begin and I hope you all enjoy the read...this is about to get real.
  16. alekomotto

Oddometer:
    Waiting for Natnewt enjoying a refreshing ice coffee.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eagerly following as I want to do the same trip next summer. Safe riding!
  18. alekomotto

Oddometer:
    Trip complete. Two weeks, 6214kms. Two 64GB micro sd cards full of go pro footage and tons of pics. We got really lucky and did not get rained on.

Natnewt was keeping a journal and should be posting soon. 6 provinces and 4 US states. Amazing trip.
  19. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's taken me a bit to get my life back in order after this trip. It's funny how doing nothing but riding and sightseeing can affect your normal day to day when you get back to work. It has taken me 3 days just to be able to learn to multitask again in which case I will be updating this report with day one today ;)
  20. alekomotto

Oddometer:
    Tell me about it. I'm still in Montreal, QC. Visiting family and friends and I'm not looking forward to going back to the grind. Maybe I'll ride north.

40 Celcius for the last 3 days with 80% humidity.