Versys or F800st

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by sands, Dec 13, 2007.

1. sands

sands Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    O.k.....Anyone with experience on both ?

Price aside what are your opinions or experience on performance of both ?

Engine performance, vibration, quality, handling, and overall feel ?
  2. JohnBoy777

JohnBoy777 Pseudo-Adventurist

Oddometer:
    Okay, I've got one, how about a Uly or a Tomato.

First off, you can eat a Tomato. But you can't eat a Uly.

A Uly goes faster than a Tomato. But you can't eat a Uly.

A Uly has a great seat. But you can't eat a Uly.

A Uly cost more than a Tomato.

You can't ride a Tomato.

:D
  3. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    You can ride a tomato its just going to be messy and your not going too far
  4. camfarm

camfarm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Search for the comparo of the Ninja650R to the F800ST. They are very similar (except in price). The Versys offers increased ground clearance and lower power to weight ratio - an interesting trade-off.
  5. hunting1

hunting1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can not give you a comparison or any vegtable advice, but the Versys is an awsome bike that will do alot of things while having fun riding it. For the money and quality it is hard to beat. My $.02:kumbaya
  6. wunlung

wunlung Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I once rode a tomato but I'm not very proud about it.
  7. canyonwlf7

canyonwlf7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I test rode a BMW F800ST just yesterday as a matter of fact, the bike handles incredibly well, but, I wasn't impressed with the motor, and the tranny made a lot of noises. I would go with the Versys. I myself am seriously thinking of an 08 ULY, a Versys, or believe it or not a KTM 690SM
  8. sands

sands Been here awhile

Oddometer:

After looking at the high level of finish and the build quality, I figured the BMW would be really smooth...But your impressions sound very similar to other impressions I've read about from real world experiences with F800...

However, There seems to be alot of folks that are really impressed with the versys...

Thanks for the response.
  9. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    :huh

My Versys doesn't seem to have any issues using the full rpm range in every gear, so my guess is that you meant that it's an engine that can be short shifted and still produce nice power in the lower rpm range. That's a very nice feature that lends itself to very relaxed riding when you want it. It doesn't mean it can't take advantage of the top end in the lower gears too when you want to. :ricky

Gustavo
  10. mdaniels

mdaniels Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Canyonwlf - I think you're over on BA.com quite a bit as well too? Just curious if you've (or anywone else that wants to chime in) thinks of the Veresys compared to a new Triumph Tiger or Spring ST?

Since my '04 Speedmaster has been totaled by the insurance company following being rear-ended a couple of weeks back, I'm in the early stages of looking for a new bike. These three are on my list, along with maybe a Thunderbird Sport that I could just pay cash for rather than having to finance part of the purchase.

I lurk here a lot and have been trying to figure out what I want next. 75% of my riding is commuting to work and then longer rides on weekends. I would like to start taking longer trips, but that would only be one or two times a year.

I was perfectly happy with the Speedmaster, but I don't think I want another cruiser right now.
  11. canyonwlf7

canyonwlf7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I am on ba.com also, ya know I was rear ended on my Speedmaster too! But bought a new one with the insurance money, I really enjoy it and will probably always have it. I don't know much about the Tiger's other than the motor is sweet and powerful, that being said I really don't like the bike too much (just personal preference) might feel different if I test rode one! But I am seriously thinking of adding a Buell Ulysses to the stable, somehow its calling my name, although the Versys is a close second, If you don't want a cruiser again, I would recommend a Versys, it also has a very nice twin engine. Good luck!