Weekly rides near Charleston, SC

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by StolenFant, May 14, 2012.

1. StolenFant

StolenFant Life is good on this side of the grass Supporter

Oddometer:
    We've got the beginnings of a good group of riders leaving the asphalt at least once per week. This thread is to help us keep in touch.
    Most of these rides will be Sunday to accomodate those who work Saturday. HOWEVER, don't let that stop you from posting your Saturday plans. Some of us do "double dip" on the weekends.

This Sunday, 5/20, we'll be following 2BikeBart into Francis Marion National Forest. Most of the trails will be packed gravel and dirt, but he promises to show us the mudhole he spend a half hour extracting himself from yesterday. Woe be unto those who ride alone... he could have had photos!

Look here to get details from 2BikeBart on the start location and time

Send me a PM w/ your email if you want to be added to the email group we're building re: these weekly rides.

Clint
  2. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    email sent...

thanks for organizing this.....

wish I could ride this weekend....

keep me posted.
  3. Lowcountry Thumper

Lowcountry Thumper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been trying unsuccessfully to find people around here to ride dirt with with for years and years. I can't make it this Sunday, but put me on the contact list for sure. hunkerdownhairydawgs at yahoo dotcom is my email addy.
  4. StolenFant

Oddometer:
    Start location will be Blue Water Exxon and BoJangles at 10 or 11 AM Sunday, 5/20.
    Email me at clemon3@sotank.com if you are interested, as we're finalizing time tonight and I'll keep all who I have email address for updated.

Click this link for Bluewater  Show on Google Maps
    Here’s the street and phone number for Bluewater if the link fails.​
    2514 Clements Ferry Road
    Charleston, SC 29492
    (843) 849-7254

We'll probably get rained on, and some of the trails will be just over handlebar width so removing panniers would make it easier, but not required. We've got a couple relatively new riders, so it won't be too technical.

Clint​
  5. StolenFant

Oddometer:
    It was mostly gravel forest trails with some very tight single tracks cut by a CT70. Thankfully everyone had removed their panniers before the ride. Bikes ranged from a KTM 990 to a KLX 250. Weather was sunny and clear.
    Didn't take time to shoot any photos, but maybe next time.
    Speaking of. Anyone interested in a little longer trip with a country lunch in the middle? I haven't been to Hamiilton Ridge WMA property since this was posted. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18191798#post18191798
    Maybe Laura0171 can be persuaded to pass on some of her excellent tracks.
  6. StolenFant

Oddometer:
    Laura0107 is sorting through her extensive list of tracks for any interesting ones between Charleston and the start of Augusta Statecoach Road. Looks like lunch will be somewhere around Estill, SC, and hopefully we'll have time to roost around Hamilton Ridge WMA as well. Riders coming from upper and lower SC, so if you're interested, shoot me an email so I can get you on the updates email list.
    We'll start early, but there will be a couple points where we can "pick up" those who need a little extra sleep after Saturday night.

Clint
    cl3@sotank.com
  7. twistydave

twistydave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to some riding. This sOunds like a needed thread. I also have had some challenges getting folks to ride with. Today I did forest service roads inland of Awendaw. I will subscribe to this thread and post up when I plan on doing some riding.
  8. wawarides

wawarides where's Laura0107? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I really don't have much other than County Line Rd to Parkers Ferry and maybe some of the Southern bits of the HO-CAT. It would be cool if there were a way to cross the Edisto where County Line Rd meets Parkers Ferry; the HO-CAT is right on the other side. I'm sure there's not, though, so if you go that way you'd have to choose whether to go North or South on Parkers Ferry to get across the river. It looks like there ought to be some dirt Northwest of Coosawhatchie but I haven't ridden in that area and haven't found any by just using maps. Slidefighter, Marsh Tiger or Draechon might be of help with that area. Y'all have 80+ miles just to get to Estill on a direct pavement route, so if you add some morning dirt to that, do lunch, then 2 or 3 hours after lunch playing around near the Savannah, then slab it home, that will be a full day! :ricky

We could meet y'all in Estill for lunch, then mess around Webb & Hamilton Ridge, then go North to Crab Orchard Rd and then up to the dirt part of Augusta Stagecoach Rd, if that suits everyone. I hope the open gates I encountered on my other ride will be open! If so, we'll pop out on Hwy #3.

I'll copy this to Clint's email list.
  9. Marsh Tiger

Marsh Tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New road to Spring Grove/ Hyde park to County line is a fun loop but then it's Parker's ferry back to 17. Not really worth the distraction, IMHO, if the goal is Estill. I'd head straight there, since that area is really cool and worth the extra time a direct route would afford you. Too bad I can join y'all I'd love to explore there some more.

On my recent trip to Ridge Motorsport I noticed plenty of inviting dirt roads. The next chance I get to hi the dirt, I'm heading that direction. Theres got to be a way to loop most of the State on dirt!
  10. twistydave

Oddometer:
    Wonderful blog and pics from the links above. Really a nice job. :D
  11. buelless

buelless Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you like Low Country BBQ, try Lester's Bar-B-Que LLC 8500 Savannah Hwy # 601, Estill, SC 29918 <nobr>(803) 625-2305, $9 all u can eat buffet including tea</nobr>. Don't know if they are open Sunday but definitely worth a look.

Hope to meet up with you folks soon for a ride...:clap
  12. StolenFant

Oddometer:
    This morning the weather "folks" at Weather Bug and Weather Channel drastically changed their outlook for Sunday. :cry:cry I haven't heard from anyone looking to spend an entire day riding in the rain. I'll keep a closer eye on it, and keep our group informed via email. Posts here will be less frequent, but I should have something final up Saturday by 8PM Eastern.

Laura0107, thanks for all your efforts planning this,:clap I will keep in touch via email, but if the forcast does not change, the Charleston based gang will be routing ourselves much closer to our dry homes and warm wives. :lol3

Clint

If you're not on the email group list for these Weekly Rides Near Charleston, send me your email address.
  13. wawarides

wawarides where's Laura0107? Supporter

Oddometer:
    No problem! Looking forward to this ride on a nicer day ...
  14. twistydave

Oddometer:
    this weekend heading up to blue ridge motorcycle campground on highway 276. We are going to do some spirited pavement riding. They are going to be tight twistys on the back roads with some very light dirt connecting routes. I'm not very good with the online posting thing but if you wanna go contact me.
  15. Marsh Tiger

Marsh Tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave!

I'm back from my trip and I'll have a few new pics to add. Teaser: 4 days, 931.5 miles...
  16. twistydave

Oddometer:
    Your welcomed, looking forward to checking out your blog. Come on up this weekend if you want to wear down your pegs. We've been offered a cabin for the weekend in Waynesville which means more gas money for mor twisties. Yeeehaw
  17. BigWrench

BigWrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this belongs here so remove it if inapropriate.

I'll be leaving James Island ~7:30 am Saturday June 2, 2012 and taking the scenic route (NO INTERSTATE) to Abbeville, SC. I hope to encounter as much dirt, gravel, and waters-edge as possible on this trek, no certain route has been decided. I am taking my tent along and will be camping Saturday night in Abbeville and will be riding the Long Cane Dual Sport Ride on Sunday June 3, 2012 (www.LongCaneMA.com) on my green KLR650. I will be stopping often to take photos and don't expect to get to Abbeville before 6 pm or so. Maybe some of you would like to ride along during part or all of this adventure. I'll be returning Sunday after the ride via the quickest route (mostly I-26). My e-mail is kenmkingataoldotcom. Add my e-mail to the rides list please.
    God Bless and Best Regards, Ken King
  18. twistydave

Oddometer:
    Big wrench, sounds like you have a nice ride planned too this weekend. I think that makes 3 different ride possibilities going on this weekend, in this thread. :rofl
  19. wvboy

wvboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll have to keep an eye on this thread, Ya'll are within distance for a good Sunday ride :evil
  20. StolenFant

Oddometer:
    I'm going to check out the Long Cane. Supposedly it's too tight for a Wee, but I want to check out what other riders are on, and get the details of other AMA Dual Sport class and Adventure Ride class events. I'm following BigWrench up via HoCat and Meow EARLY Saturday AM. I'll shoot an email to the group when we work out meeting place. The plan is to camp there, but I may return before ride is over Sunday. Join if you can, and have a safe weekend.

Clint