KTM 400 LC4 random questions

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Young-Gun, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    hey guys, just bought an old LC4 that I am pulling apart and selling off a few bits and keeping others. In wanting to take the motor out, I figure I have to undo the swingarm bolt, however am I right in saying that the previous owner surely welded this to prevent the bolt coming undone...?

[​IMG]

Next... in the fuel tank I found this.... what on earth is it and what does it do? It's only small, about 2 inches in length

[​IMG]
  2. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a weld mound on the frame to prevent swing arm bolt from rotating when tightening. With all that corrosion you'll probably have a difficult time removing the bolt. I don't know what that is you found inside the tank.
  3. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    What Hipster said about the bolt, the nut threads off from the other end and the shaft slides out towards the brake side...

That little object looks like an in the tank filter like they use on chainsaws and weed whackers... I have not seen one used on an M/C application before, you should unbolt the petcock and see what goes on in there...
  4. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    Ok makes sense about the threading from the other side..

The petcock is the Mikuni one that comes standard with the side-by-side intake one for the main and the shorter one for reserve, both clean and happy.. weird lol
  5. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    The thing in the tank isn't some sort of "Peter Brock" type fuel additive is it? I seem to recall seeing something like it at a shop once.
  6. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    It may well be! I googled and it might be some kind of fuel energy polariser thingy... apparently Brocky got a bit of flack about it but some people say it worked... was an 80's gimmick

7. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Those look like magnets, which would lead one to believe it's some kind of new-age, get 200 MPG total BS thingy... :norton