protection for bottom of sidecar

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by mikejjmay, Mar 2, 2013.

1. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

had a few hacks before, but just ordered my first new, large one. Im putting a DMC Kenda on my GL1500 so my wife and I can tour the US in style (actually, more for her comfort).

So the sidecar is being built, and should be here in about 4 weeks or so. We like to stay off main roads as much as possible, and that means alot of hardpack gravel roads. The sidecar is fiberglass, so I am concerned about the gelcoat on the bottom of the car, and the fibergalss floor.

So I am asking, what is the best way to protect hte bottom of the sidecar (on the outside of course)? Im thinking rhino or bedliner, or buying some very thin aluminum sheeting and using the 3m automotive double sided stuff to adhere. It would be very lightweight, just to prevent scratching and chipping, im not going to be single tracking it with a GW1500 :evil

Im leaning toward the aluminum, for looks and durability, plus it could be removed. Thoughts? Other ideas?
  2. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Unless you go scraping it over rocks you'd be surprised by how little the tub gets hit even on gravel roads.

I'd vote for the bed liner ... but only 'cause I just did mine today :lol3

3. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Mike,

Have Jay build a light weight skid plate that can be easily bolted to the underside of the tub, shouldn't be hard for him to make. I know other folks who have Jay's fiberglass tubs that ride forest service roads with unprotected sidecar bottoms and they have never complained of tub damage.
  4. DavePave

DavePave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
  6. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    I have a fiberglass Hannigan on my GSA, live on a dirt road, ride a lot on dirt, mud, grassy meadows etc and in 28k miles have never had a problem with things marring the underside.
  7. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have 78,000 km on my Ural, and have done extensive off pavement riding, sometimes in rather extreme conditions. Going by the condition of the paint on the bottom of the tub, I just don't see it being an issue.
  8. eastbloc

eastbloc comprador bourgeois

Oddometer:
    My Ural tub on the other hand is 16 years young and steadily disintegrating since I got it 13 years ago despite having seen no real abuse. But I'm in the NE where road salt is a bigger danger than off-road hazards.
  9. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get some cheap ass contact paper (plastic) from Walmart

No one is going to see it & it's pennies, not dollars
  10. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Great post.

I think the roll-on or brush on Herculiner brand product would be ideal. Tape/mask off an conservative "skid area" and go for it. Perhaps just below the line of sight as you gander at your rig from the front or back.

Wipe it down with some appropriate prep or wax and grease remover. Some Dawn dishsoap and hot water not a bad idea either. A light scuffing of the area before hand with some lightish-grit sand paper, and then wash or wipe it down again. Make sure it's totally dry. Even though "Herc" will stick to everything regardless of prep, it's a good practice to do things right, treat it as if you were painting a show car. The prep always the key to the final end result you strive for.

I would find or order the real deal Hurculiner, and not piss around with the "clones". Probably just me :evil, but I like having to only to this type of thing once. I tried a Duplicolor product for this type of thing once, and it never dried. Had to scrape it all off a week later, never again.
    A week later, my skid plate that was sprayed with Dupli-color's coating was like chewing gum, sticky, and never dried.

[​IMG]

so now I use:

http://www.herculiner.com/product_info.htm

Hey, take some pics, show us the end result. I think your concern is valid, if it makes you feel better, what the heck, not a huge investment, and it could be an enjoyable Sunday-coupla-beers and a bratwurst project. :freaky
  11. XL-erate

XL-erate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a surplus metals dealer in the 'Big City' not far from me. They sell 4' x 8' x 1/8" sheets of new aluminum diamond plate for about $150, also have all kinds of remnants and smaller pieces. Most metal recyclers - scrap dealers - also sell their stuff to the general public. Might be worth checking out what's available in your general area?
  12. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not worry about it. The fiberglass is very tough! If you are really worried about it, buy some spray on under coat from the autoparts store.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  13. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah the man himself. Thanks for the input jay! Super excited to get the rig.

I guess Ill leave the bottom alone, and maybe use somethign around the edge of the cab (my dogs have some sharp nails :wink:)

Thanks!
  14. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    +1. Also look into stuff made specifically for rocker panels. Buy the good stuff from an automotive paint supply store.
  15. erp

erp Levon's friend,

Oddometer:
    I put a full length ,and width of the car , 1/4" diamond plate aluminum pan on my Velorex car build. Painted the top flat black, left the bottom shiny , The plastic bottom of the car didn't appear to be enough protection. It seems to help with mud and rocks ? Can't figure out how to move a picture of it yet, will try again. erp
  16. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    I had my window tint guy install the clear film they use on auto kick panels and the lower fender edges around the cockpit and the body where the passenger climbs in. Have to look really hard to see it, works great to protect the painted surfaces.