Africa Race

Discussion in 'Racing' started by italrally, Dec 4, 2009.

1. italrally

italrally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Somebody is going ?

They want to start at the 27 of Dezember ?

No entry list until yet ?

Mic.
  2. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Only thing I know so far, is the presence of three Italians: Dottori, Capodacqua and Stefani. As you all know by now, Faria switched to the Dakar to replace West... nothing else!
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    Not much "humm" on their website... given that the "start" is only 20 days away...? :huh

In june it was indicated that KTM would boycott the Dakar and lend it's support to the privateers entered on the Africa race... well that changed... kind of drastically.

And in the latest Africa race "Press Release" (october), it says that portugals champion Carlos Sousa will be competing on the Africa Race... but at last check he is entered - and his car shipped last week from La Havre - on the 2010 Dakar as lead driver on the four car strong JMB Stradale Mitsubishi team...?

Could it be that René Metge's event management "batting average" is continuing it's trend of the last two decades... no?! :wink:
  4. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing new...
    Last year the entry list was officially listed just a week or so before the start :eek1

Looking forward to seeing a lot more (bike) competitors this year! :lurk
  5. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Nothing new indeed..., you're right... it's the same "Metge" pre-event promotional modem operandi since early 90's... lot's of press realease info' (hype) six months out...that peters out to nada as the event get's closer to d-day...

I look forward to see a lot more bikes too... I mean, 20 moto's for 2010 Africa race would be like, what...? a 150% increase in numbers?

I think the "return to Africa" has not been as heavily patronized as first anticipated... many (majority) of the "names" seem to have chosen to stay with the recognized trade mark... regardless of it's move to other ground.

Sure... perhaps JLS might rush around in one of his buggies, an hour in front of everyone else's T2 auto's... but other than that most of the established auto team players (who have a budget) are on the way to Argentina... bike teams...? Pretty much the same.

So this leaves - it seems (hopefully... at best) - the Africa race to be supported by a good field of privateers on both moto and auto's... but it seems strange (if this were the case) that the organisation behind the even would choose not to profile the fact?

Which lends me to wonder (with Renés track record behind him) if in fact, the opposite is not the case?
  6. ionut73

ionut73 Ionut73

Oddometer:
    two Romanians will race AR this year
    After winning Production class in Morocco, I hope that Mani will be in the top 3

just found out - they will not join the race :-(
  7. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested to see if this event runs too - like you say, everything seems to be very quite...

As Troy says, the Africa Race is going to appeal to privateers who don't have the budget for the 'Dakar' in South America... but based on the entry for Heroes-Legend this year, which was down considerably on 2008, I would have thought anyone who wanted/had the where-with-all to actually race to Dakar, would have already done it this year?

Perhaps, in these more stringent times, there is just not the scope to run two similar rallies from Europe to Dakar?

xxx
  8. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Bueller... Bueller... Hello... Ferris Bueller...? :ear
  9. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    Guess the debate of El Dakar vs Africa EcoRace has been settled then :ear
  10. Cummo

Cummo Cummomoto

Oddometer:
    Where did it go......no news!
  11. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Schedule:
  12. silverstone

silverstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hum, dissapointing at tihs time!!! I have (or had) interest in this rally.
  13. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Latest News

[​IMG]Africa Rally launches in style at Bottom Gear

10:50 on Tue 15th Dec 2009

On a rather chilly Sunday in the deepest, darkest depths of Surrey, 33 brave teams set off for the more tropical climes of Cameroon at Bottom Gear, the launch of the 2009 Africa Rally.
    Having been advised by the FCO's head of counter terrorism to cancel the Africa Rally in it's original format due to the escalating threat of terrorism in parts of north and West Africa, the teams will now no longer be travelling through areas advised against by the FCO. These include the whole of Mauritania and Algeria, plus large areas of Mali and Niger. Instead they will be shipping their rusty steeds from Tilbury docks and Casablanca to Dakar, Senegal, and driving them on to Cameroon from there.
    Despite the last minute setback the teams were in fine spirits and the launch went off in cracking style, with entertainment from Buddy and a Cameroonian band, a rousing speech from Denis Nyuyudzirewa, the Deputy High Commissioner for Cameroon, and Prize Giving. The Saharan Accidentals won the charity award for currently leading the field in the amount raised for charity, with a fine £3,468 in their charities' coffers to date. No Regrets were awarded the 'You Big Fairy' prize for their choice of car, a far too functional Mercedes Benz. The other cars setting off were the usual medley of 4 x4 Pandas, VW Beetles, Renaults and the slightly more unusual 750 cc 1934 Austin Seven driven by Chocks Away. With a top speed of "55 mph downhill with the wind behind her" and not enough space to swing a small mouse in, theirs is set to be an interesting journey.
    One team, the Family Ness, are going to be the first Africa Rally team to attempt the Rally without a car. Having decided not to ship their vehicle, they are going to get to Cameroon by foot, boat, bus, camel, donkey and wits. All dressed in kilts. Marvellous stuff.
    Three Italian teams, Taurinorium Travel Team, No Brain and African Wave, were unable to attend the launch due to shipping their cars and motorbikes from Antwerp. One other Italian team, Est, came to the launch minus their vehicle, which was still in Estonia on it's way back from completing this year's Mongol Rally! Paolo, of Est, seemed utterly unperturbed by this lack of vehicle and will be leaving for Cameroon later this week.
    Chocks Away led the parade lap of the famous Dunsfold Park before the teams dispersed to Tilbury docks, Dover, London, Spain....and finally Cameroon.
    To watch a reprt of the launch on BBC South Today please see here, and to follow the teams as they trundle south to the tropics see here.
  14. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Erm, different event I think!

(sounds kinda fun though!)

xxx
  15. Outwardbound

Outwardbound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wrong event... The above is the Africa RALLY. The thread is about the Africa RACE. Way different........ although there seems to be lots more information on the AfrRally..................
  16. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Oooooooooop's my bad. I'd delete the post but now it's been quoted :lol3

Guess I better do more research

I'm just wondering if the same security issues might have scrapped the Africa Race.
  17. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    right here, mike buhler at your service:lol3
  19. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    How sad only 4 bikes in the race :eek1:eek1:eek1

20. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    First pics from scutineering are up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A real shame to see so little participation in this wonderful event :cry:cry:cry