G/S starting quirkyness

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by The Raven, Mar 20, 2011.

1. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    Ok, not sure if I have this problem anymore as I have rebuilt the bike. I do still wonder about it though.

I would start the bike full choke, drop it to half. Get on to ride it and without even touching the gas and while just coasting down an incline the engine would stall. It would start right up again and run fine....but did it every time when starting cold.

What would cause such behavior?

It would only stall if left to idle, not being revved.
  2. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I had hard starting problems when using smaller idle jets than stock. 40 up to 5/83 and 45 after.
  3. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    you really want that GSPD lower fairing thing? Its so much more trouble than its worth, really.

I'd give you mine, but its got to have an ART sticker on it :D

OH sorry you had a topic to this thread! hah- well... I know that weird no-load stall of which you speak. I have no idea whats going on there, other than it probably is too cool to run being that the engine is still relatively cold and is still getting a heap of fuel.
  4. TheWolf

TheWolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I experience something similar with mine as well. I usually start mine on the center stand and it will be idling right along but if i don't rev it up a bit prior to rolling forward off the stand, it will stall. Figured it is moving something in the carbs. I kinda like it as it gives the bike personality and could also but used as a theft deterrent.:wink:
  5. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    Stage: yeah I want one of those shields think it would look good on the bike and especially stop wind/water. Not a big fan of how the stone guard front hangs out. I think the shield would counter that.

Starting issue: I have a 45 as well, thought it was perhaps a bubble or something in the carbs. Will probably be gone once I start and tune her in a couple weeks
  6. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    when cold, pulling to a quick stop will kill mine??????:eek1
  7. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    Quirky bikes....I guess it can be blamed on the beancan, points anyone:evil :hide
  8. batoutoflahonda

batoutoflahonda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine will do that too. It also stalls if I take the choke off too fast (the motion, not the time) but once I take it down the road it's fine. My Honda air cooled dirt bikes did the same. Just won't go until they wanted to. I just wrote it off as an air cooled carbureted bike thing. Mostly that certain parts of the motor just weren't warmed up yet so the mixture was off.

Or maybe the damn thing's broke.
  9. Martian

Martian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure its the battery.:evil
  10. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
    If mine is adjusted to idle right it has to be revved or choked til warm. Revved, since I turn off the choke leaving the drive usually.

Always done it no matter how tuned.
  11. zenben

zenben all roads are one

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they are just cold natured bikes.
    It helps if they are fully warmed before tuning. Otherwise you are just introducing new problems.
  12. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    Aw man.... I was going to say it's always the battery, but the martian beat me to it.....

:poser

:D