http://www.trailsheaven.com/

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by NHeat, Apr 16, 2009.

1. NHeat

NHeat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did a quick search didnt find much here just some stuff from "thumpers".

Anybody have experience with these trails and a GS?

Im thinking it would be a good ride-n-camp weekend (from NOVA anyhow), but dont want to get FUBAR'd with a loaded 1150 on tourances and an off camber single track section...maybe two up also.
  2. jam_nut

jam_nut Back Road Explorer

Oddometer:
    I've been there many times on my KTM 450. Personally I would never consider taking my GS. There are a few green trails you could ride, but they can still but pretty rough for a GS. I also believe that for the cost of $50 for an out of state pass, it simply isn't worth it for the trail that are ridable on a big GS. Remember there are some considerable mountains to climb, lots of rocks and mud.

My suggestion is to get a GPS and explore the back roads. But, if you do ride H/M, I would love to see a ride report on that adventure.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Moved to RF: Southeast.
  4. Motocox

Motocox We will call him Thunder!

Oddometer:
    I've been many times. There are some easier trails that you could do on a GS. Would you have fun? Yes. Would it be easy? NO. How much off-road experience do you have? Do a quick youtube search and you will see what I mean. I usually ride something like this when I go:
    [​IMG]
  5. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    I say go for it, this is an adventure site, no? I just got back, it was muddy & rocky. A total blast. I think its smart to go w at least 1 other rider. you will prob. have to take it slow & easy, but I think you would have fun. Would I ride a big GS on the trails? HELL NO. But, that shouldnt stop you.

Attached Files:

6. NHeat

NHeat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm still thinking about giving it a try, even though I ride a GS I think I still qualify for the young and dumb title at 28 I'm still in the minority for average age of GS riders.
    I have cleared water breaks on haul roads at 60 mph and buried the bike in a few nasty mud holes that would even give my fj40 a good run.

I do think Ill have to wait until my tourances need replacing and change up for some scorpions or maybe some TKC's. And as for the two up part...hummm...would be nice to have someone to help push the bike out of a mud hole this time!!:D
  7. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Mud holes are no problem, as they groom the trails & they arent deep. If you ride the blue & green trails, you will be fine. Its the rocks & steep climbs that are the most challenging.

Attached Files: