KTM 950 has to go bye-bye?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by KamLeeR, Apr 30, 2013.

1. KamLeeR

KamLeeR Animal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know there are threads regarding windshields, buffeting, but have any of y'all sold your 950/990s cause you just couldn't take the pain of buffeting anymore.

I LOVE my 950 more than any other bike I've had, but I have some 3000 mile + trips planned this summer and don't know if I will be able to ride 500 mile days. 100 mile days and my head is spinning and ears ring bad. I have custom plugs! This is all over 65 and highway. Like I said, I know this has been discussed to no end, but what would y'all do?

At the present I have stock shield on, also have a moose shorty, didn't feel much differnce. Arai XD3 helmet.

This bike is sweet, but its a PITA not to enjoy highway speeds.

Might be up for sale shortly in flea market. :(
  2. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Seems to be a pretty simple solution from any variety of aftermarket deflectors. Short of changing to a full touring bike, you might end up with the same issue on another bike.

I'm living with the stock shield for now, and using really good ear plugs. Simple solution.
  3. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. GJ990

GJ990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally I just don't understand the buffeting complaints with this bike. To me it's simply a non-issue. Sure, it's not perfect but even at 85 mph it's not causing me discomfort. Perhaps it's because I'm only 5'10"? Have you tried taking off the mirrors to test if that's the cause? Different helmet?
  5. KamLeeR

Oddometer:
    I've come off KLRs , ridden thousands of highway miles on them, and never had this type of buffeting. I don't mind the air, that's what its all about right? I tend to stand the pegs a lot to get into the clean air. I am 5'10".

I will remove mirrors and see if that helps. Just didn't want to go buy another helmet, I love my XD3.
    It doesn't shake my head or anything, its just the noise.

Just been discouraged reading other inmates threads. Seems nothing works well without spending lots of bucks, and still not fixxin problem. Shorty the best option? Aeroflow?

Guess I can get it solved at the KTM rally?
  6. KamLeeR

Oddometer:
    Thanks Catalina 38! This is worth a try alright for the price.
  7. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    A new shield or helmet seems to be much easier than a new bike.

A friend cut a hole in the lower part of his windshield to reduce the backpressure issue that causes a lot of the buffeting.
  8. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cut the screen off and buy a lid without a peak....I can ride all day long 50-65 depending on wind.....Or Gold Wing...:wink: Its me butt that suffers...
  9. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    An AeroFlow over the Moose shorty works great for me at any speed (5' 11") 31" inseam with the seat hump removed on the standard '06 950A (950 SuperMoto mirrors):

[​IMG]
  10. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they made some sort of change since I'm 6'2" and don't have an issue wearing the XD4 cruising along at 80 MPH on my 2011. I did replace the stock mirrors with Highway dirt bike handguard and mirrors before she ever hit the road so i can't say if that helped or not.
    nk14zp likes this.
  11. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    It is kind of a combination of things.

The helmet by itself is a noisy helmet, no way around that.

The air foil effect seems to work, I trimmed my stock shield and used that piece to create an airfoil on the windscreen.

That helped but mostly I find riding with the street helmet makes the ride a lot more comfortable for the long haul than with my XD.

It takes some trial and error to get it working right.

Just my .02
  12. SixDays02

SixDays02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had the same problem (5'9" and XD).

Stock was lousy so i've invested in a Touratech spoiler. And the spoiler was no good. So, i took a hacksaw aaand, presto, this is how we did our last trip (3000 miles of highway @ 90 MPH):

[​IMG]

... and 2000 miles of side roads and off-road is without the spoiler:

[​IMG]
  13. Frog uk

Frog uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my experience Arai's (Giga, RX7, Corsair) have been some of the noisiest helmets I've ever used, the Tour X are reputed to be worse than the above, so must be really noisey.

I've got an X-lite X-551 with peak, use common earplugs and a Rally Raid screen. Did an 1150 mile trip (mostly high speeds of 80 - 90 MPH) in 23 hours last year and had absolutely no issue's whatsoever.

Only very occasionally in strong blustery headwinds do I have any problems, but tbh that would be the same on pretty much any bike.

IMO you should try (borrow) a few helmet/screen options before writing off 'the best bike you've had'.
  14. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    Seriously, you like the XD-3 better than your bike? Did you try taking the visor off the helmet?

I think the stock screen and the XD-3 is a bad combo. I went with the Rally-Raid screen. Big difference with the XD-3. Still, the visor in an issue up over 80mph for extended periods. It adds to the fatigue for sure. If I were doing a cross country trip with long freeway sections I would wear a normal street helmet for sure.
  15. Jim Colombotos

Jim Colombotos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    agree with your complaint. I take my screen completely off during the summer , try that out.
  16. KamLeeR

Oddometer:

I don't chinch on helmets, my XD3 fits perfect. Can keep that for offroading. Not against another type, if that fixxes my issues. Think Schuburth make s a great one for $800.
    I will try anything before I get rid of this bike.

Thanks for all the replies.
  17. rcautox

rcautox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I was shopping for a 990 I test rode a used2012 with the full aeroflow setup (adjustable main screen, winglets and lower/side things). No buffeting, shoot I only had my bobber open-face helmet and didn't have much of an issue. Definitely a difference from my 2011 990 R w/her stock screen. I can't say for certain which piece made the biggest difference.

FYI I'm 6'1".
  18. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Not an ADV but on our SE the mirrors where beating my XD4 helmet around because of their height, lower mirrors = problem solved, we fitted a screen and it worked out perfect so lucky with that.
  19. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think peaked helmets are always going to be an issue at highway speed. I did this to my Shoei Hornet, and on my obviously more exposed 690R, it's much more comfortable. Haven't tried it on the 990 yet - it's on holidays in California. :huh

[​IMG]

I usually wear my Scorpion EXO 900 on long hiway rides.
  20. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    20 minutes with a jigsaw, file and emery cloth and you're good to go.

Just that simple. I wondered why I waited 1500 miles to do it. Should have done it before it left the dealer.