Savage LS650 Flat Tracker

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by brian72, Mar 23, 2013.

1. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:
    I bought a project bike in December 2012.
    Winter time in Massachusetts.

Great find 2001 Suzuki Savage 3500 miles for $1,100.
    A little rough around the edges. Looks to have sat outside a bit.

Having owned at least 13 motorcycles before this one (all makes and models foreign and domestic) I find I enjoy large single cylinder motors ie Kawasaki's 650 and Suzuki's 400.

I'm not much into chrome and cruisers but if you can look beyond the Savages' initial presentation, there is a platform. 650 single, low and easy to work on/modify, and inexpensive.

I've decided to go with a Flat Track inspired theme. Now I'm no Flat Track racer and have never owned one before, so I do mean inspired not replica.
    (I am aware of RYCA kits. They're nice, just like doing my own thing)

This bike will be used for riding on paved and dirt roads in the Berkshires of Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut and New Hampshire. Also a trip from MA to MI this summer.

Here is what I have so far.

Step 1 (stock bike)
    [​IMG]

Step 2
    [​IMG]

Step 3
    [​IMG]

This is it so far. Still much more to do. I will post more pics progress as it's made.
  2. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Brian,
    in it's actual form there will be a lot of drawbacks when using it in the manner you've mentioned. But the base offered by this Suzuki is much better than one could ever imagine. Have a look at Krasniewski's build of a Ryca Scrambler in 'Some assembly required'. There's also a link to Ryca's own web-site (if you didn't know about these guys up to the moment). I think, you don't have to buy everything off them but it gives you good ideas and you're able to get there what you're not able to fabricate on your own.
    I'll watch your progress with interest!
    Kind regards, Bambi
  3. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:
    I tried to raise and extend the pipe. Did not work. Too little back pressure. The flexible exhaust pipe is leaky. Took a picture before putting it back to stock.
    [​IMG]

So with the pipe back. Added universal ATV shock covers and used the brackets for the pipe to add a can for tools since the holes were drilled in the fender for it. Even with a simple bike I like to carry some tools for whatever may happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cheap and easy road isn't so easy, but it is coming along.
    Still, fun as hell to ride.
  4. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:
    Test ride went alright. Street tires do not like mud (duh right?)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:
  6. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Those little wheels gotta go,I dont know what fits but things wont go well in the dirt with the cruiser sized wheels. Longer shocks would be a big help to keep the bottom of the bike from hitting the ground over bumps.
  7. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great platform, but I have not seen one that would work for me.
    I guess the engine is the only good thing on the bike, which is a poor place to start from.

I would want one that was built like an old dual sport, or at least like the old Triumph Daytona's which did REAL well on dirt roads and smooth trails.

Some suspension, like 5 or 6 inches in the front at least, at least a 19 inch front wheel, 18 back, flat thick longer seat.

Most modern bikes like the savage bend up the frame rails to get the seat low, which screws things up, forward controls, smaller wheels, belt drive...

A lot can be done with the bike if you keep it on the street, but to make it into an old standard you might as well put the motor in some old frame...
  8. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    Worst thing you can do for riding position is lower the seat.
    Ignorance reigns in this respect
  9. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:
    I will be changing the tires in a bit. I just can't bring myself to put new ones on (right now) since the PO just replaced the old ones end of last season. I am doing this bike on the cheap.

As far as suspension I am almost considering replacing the stock springs with auto shocks, if I can find a pair that will fit. Imagine a set of Rancho's on this thing. Crazy. Just riding on trails I haven't yet bottomed out with the stock adjusted the way they are. Suprise to me.

So far riding trails has been fun and the bike is working out. When I decide to get a little harder on the bike, that might change.

[​IMG]
  10. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    That engine has been around a long time, no?
  11. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:

Yes it has. 20+ years.
  12. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:
    Just put some L.A. Choppers BMX style handlebars on in place of the stock buck horns. It feels a lot better to ride, position wise, for my taste. Even though it does look more cruiser-esque with the home made 1X5 inch risers (save the crossbar pad).

[​IMG]

Also...................I find it strange that there are not more people doing this to small inexpensive cruisers. Everything is very low cost to modify, replace and repair. Is there some place or thread on ADV where others are doing this?

Did I mention http://facebook.com/ADVridingTV ?
  13. Xcuvator

Xcuvator Justa Venturer

Oddometer:
    I have not seen anything like what you are doing anywhere and I will be surprised if I ever do.
    Have Fun!
  14. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the words (kind I assume) about my build.
  15. calus

calus n00b

Oddometer:
    looks great. low budget fun!:freaky
  16. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cal
  17. Goofy1

Goofy1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fear not the naysayers as you tread uncharted ground. Find what works for you and head down that path. your build is more akin to what you would have done back in the 70's before everyone got blinders on.

Good luck and have fun with it!
  18. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:

You know?
    I really appreciate the kind words. I can't take credit for blazing new roads, as everything has almost been done before, I do try though.
    Respects.
  19. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:
    A ride on Sunday with the new tank paint and riders/bars
    [​IMG]
  20. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    What that bike needs is some clip on bars. That would get you the look you are hunting for.