Need Sipapu/angle fire tracks

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by Gerst, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Gerst

Gerst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found out I have the next few days off thinking of a northern NM trip. Just looking for some single track. Any tracks appreciated as is camping tips, if I can camp fish and ride from one spot ill be happy!

Thanks,
    Gerst
  2. Crackofnoon

Crackofnoon Start off slow, and Taper,...

Oddometer:
    there is plenty to ride around the sipapu area. I don't have any gps info, but I can tell you about all the trails.

first off, camp and fish: comales campground on 518 is great! the river runs right by it, and there are some sweet campsites down by the river.

Riding: trails illustrated makes a pretty good map of the area. Some riding ideas for you are;

trails 182,492,8 are mostly single track, moderate terrain with some great rooty/rocky sections.

trails 4,5,20,22 are single track and rocky/rooty difficult sections.

you can access 182 from forest road 703 (amole canyon) off of hwy 518. there is a great 30 mile loop from the starting point of 182. trail 182-short section of 5---trail 492, Left on hwy 518 for one mile, left on fr76---two miles, left on trail 8----back to trail 182 to your starting point.
  3. Gerst

Gerst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks taos!!!
    I just got back. Had a great trip thanks to your tips. :clap Camped at Comales site 6 it was clean, quiet and convenient. Rode your 182. 492, 8 loop but added 13 and 5, nice ride. Ran into another rider on 13 so I got some route finding help, we both missed the turn on 13 before the meadow :huh it's signed and everything. He knew 8 which was nice as there's a few intersections not shown on the map I had. He called it a day and I went up and down 4, some nice big rocks there :D

Day 2. I started up 22 but soon decided it was more than I wanted to attempt alone. Found 20, 22, 9a loop. I don't remember ever going down but it sure goes up and up and up....

Spiapu had a music festival Sat night so I stopped in ate, drank and enjoyed the evening.

Thanks for the suggestions, it made the trip :freaky

If you need any southern CO info let me know

Gerst