Spatsizi Plateau Wilderness Provincial Park

Discussion in 'Canada' started by klr650goldwing, Mar 17, 2013.

1. klr650goldwing

klr650goldwing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to find the exact location of a picture on the website www.motorcycleexporer.com. The picture is in the Spatsizi Wilderness Area section and it is the second photo in that area of the website.

Can anyone tell me where I can get a good detailed map of that area and where exactly that picture is on a map. Also, what is the best way to get to the location of the photo.

Some friends and I are riding to Alaska this summer and I'd like to stop by the Spatsizi Plateau and take a similar picture.

Thank you. Greg
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does this help?
    Map:
    http://www.motorcycleexplorer.com/n_bc/spatmap.jpg

The map linked above in combination with most any reasonable map of that area should show you the way. Hang an "EAST" at Tatooga Lake and head for the old railbed then south.

This pic?
    http://www.motorcycleexplorer.com/n_bc/klap_pas.jpg

As far as "stopping by" to take a similar pic goes, figure on a couple of days (at least) detour. It's an out 'n back. Check out this thread, page 3:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651323
  3. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only way in there is the old rail grade which is accessed through the Ealue Lake road. One way in, one way out zero services in there, great area. There is fuel, restaurant and camping/cabins at Tatogga Lake.
  4. 2Trider

2Trider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What Tripple said ^^

Some sections of the bed and road are washed out bad....quad and bikes are all that could get through last year and depending on what the river does this year and who hammers the trail back in will depend on when/if you get in.

Figure also you are traveling a 120km into the middle of no where
    There is a nice camp site at 90km...some primitive shelters there from a mine camp....bring a tarp for a roof:wink:

Is it worth it
    OH YAH....So friggin beautiful in there :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

My plan is to do a 2 dayer in there this year
  5. klr650goldwing

klr650goldwing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2Trider, Sounds like you have been in there before. Is it necessary to pack gasoline in there in order to have enough to get back out?
  6. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been there but have read lots about it.

Yes, you MUST carry enough fuel to do the out 'n back (plus some extra wouldn't hurt). Hwy 37 is quite remote and you are heading into an even more remote area.
  7. 2Trider

2Trider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was in there last Aug (to the 110km mark)
    And yes you need to account for some 250km, at minimum, worth of fuel. Fuel can be had at the start in Tatogga Lake.