HDB’s Ultimate Handguards and 10% discount

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by HDB, Jan 17, 2010.

1. HDB

HDB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Code named Big Bike Beefy Billet Bars. These guards are made with big bikes and big abuse in mind.

So how can we say these are the Ultimate Handguards, grab your calipers and take a little walk with me.

Lets start at the bar ends. Just like our standard sets you get a tap and threaded inserts for the bar end attachment, by far the most secure and strongest method.

[​IMG]<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>

Now look at the bar end boss on the guards, how many times have you chewed up your grips with those big name guards. You may wish to change your grips from time to time, but this will be the last time you replace your grips on account of dumping your bike.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>

Now lets compare side by side the bar designs, from the bar end to the bend is by far the most venerable area for damage in a crash.

The numbers speak for themselves. Well over ¼&#8221; more material than Cycra or Acerbis where you need it most on those 400+lb bikes.. And we know it&#8217;s stronger, it takes almost 20 tons more to form them.

[​IMG]

HDB vs Cycra

[​IMG]

HDB vs Acerbis

[​IMG]

HDB vs Cycra

[​IMG]

Cycra at the bend

[​IMG]

Acerbis at the bend

[​IMG]

HDB's at the bend

[​IMG]

Check out the hand protection on HDB guards, there is no comparison, you not only get a bar beefier than any others, in that area you get well over twice the material and twice coverage.

[​IMG]
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
    Even when you get to the inner end mounts, again over 1/8&#8221; more material.

[​IMG]

On a test bike

[​IMG]

Remember you don&#8217;t need a big bike to mount these and when combined with our mirrors, top clamps and accessories, this system stands alone.

Enter "advrider01" at checkout for a 10% discount on all HDB products.

Rharr likes this.
  2. whyknotboats

whyknotboats CRANK IT UP!

Oddometer:
    OK, HERE IT IS UP FRONT! I PUT THESE ON MY F800GS AND THERE UNREAL. THE MOUNTS ARE PRECISION IN EVERY WAY! YOU CAN ALSO ADAPT THE METRIC 6 X 1.00 THREADS TO MOUNT GPS, I POD ETC. GREAT JOB HDB, KEN P.S. INMATES, IM NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS ADVERTISEMENT!:freaky
  3. husky123

husky123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quality stuff for sure.
  4. KhaoSanMan

KhaoSanMan Airhead

Oddometer:
    Would the "BMW Handguards" work on an Airhead GS?

I have a 95 R100GS and have been looking for some handguards
  5. HDB

HDB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That might be a tough one. To my knowledge we've never fitted an R100GS, but the photos I've been able to find look like there could be enough clearance.

A photo of your bike would help a lot. I'll need to know a few specs to get it right, the bolt pattern on the top clamp, because we'll be replacing it, the width and rise of those bars, it looked pretty high and that will determine the length of the guards I'll send out with the set.

A '95 R100GS might be a little outside the scope, but we can give it a shot.
  6. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    Can the mirrors be added at a later date(ordered alone) if I change my mind?

Can the beefy handguards be upgraded to LED turn signals (not an upgrade option on that page) without having to buy both sets of plastics?

Oh... and thanks for the discount. I'm looking forward to placing my order. Sooooo many decisions:wink:
  7. HDB

HDB Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yes, you can get the mirrors at a later date.

Damn, I'd say I'll get that fixed tonight, but I can't. I'll have that option on there tomorrow, thanks.
  8. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    of all the badass stuff for dualsports/ADV bikes....the HDB stuff is the collest/nicest stuff around......:clap
  9. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    x2!! :clap
  10. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got back from 15 days of riding in Baja with my new HDB handgaurds and mirrors on my 950 Adventure "test bike" (pictured above). Everything worked flawlessly. I have to admit, I thought that the mirrors wouldn't be very effective on the road sections, but I was completely wrong; I could see behind me very well with unobstructed view, and running at very high speeds in windy conditions, the mirrors didn't move. :thumb I'm even more impressed with them after this trip. Nice stuff!

[​IMG]
  11. Pork Butt

Pork Butt Save the USA

Oddometer:
    Order placed ..... can't wait till it gets here. :clap

PB
  12. K7MDL

K7MDL 2015 Tiger 800XCx

Oddometer:
    Looking for compatibility info on 2007 TE610.

Want to install a stabilizer (brand TBD) on a submount and need to know which combo of submounts and HDB top clamps are known to work together (TE610 in particular for me), if any known. Looking at PT Concepts and Motosportz submounts to start with. I saw one case of a KTM PT submount paired with a HDB top clamp on a TE610 with a Scotts damper.

Thanks,

- Mike
  13. HDB

HDB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike, I have yet to make one for a 610, but I have it drawn up for a Scotts. I'd be willing to bet that a Motosportz Submount would be no problem at all. It's sandwiched between the top triple and the lower handlebar clamps, so shouldn't affect the fitment, just raise the bars. If you have a pic of the KTM/PT setup, shoot it over to me I'd like to see it.
    Paul
  14. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    for the customers.... how is the mirror vibration compared to your stock mirrors on your bike previously (if you had stock mirrors on your bike)? I like the short compact stalks and think that would help minimize vibration but I also think that moving the mirrors out to the bar ends would increase vibrations transmitted to the mirrors.. so I'm just curious..

I would love to know if that car behind me on the highway is a cop or not.. With my stock mirrors I can never tell until I pull in the clutch for a couple of seconds and let things settle down... Who has time for all that?? NOT ME
  15. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mirrors perform better than the OEM ones (at least for me)...but they aren't as effective as my "elephant ear" mirrors on my Land Rover trucks :D

Bottom line: better than OEM for me and I can see clearly
  16. K7MDL

K7MDL 2015 Tiger 800XCx

Oddometer:
    KevinMTB posted up his solution. Please see http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156429&page=957

I would rather use the Motosportz damper, but I will take what I can get.

GPR replied back to me saying their submount/damper/topclamp kit won't fit the TE610 with the 5 gallon IMS - tank is too thick. The guide pin mounting for all damper brands is a challenge on this bike. KevinMTB made his own. Motosprtz makes only the top mount for the 610, but that clutters up the top clamp area, I would rather use that area for switches and such, and not clutter up the area. leaving better dashboard access.

The '07 and below come stock with 7/8" bars. I need them raised more. In switching to fat bars I need to raise them further yet. So a submount that acts as a riser leaves lots of unused space - perfect for a damper to be mounted there. I am OK with using the tank bolt for the guide pin like KevinMTB and other have. Another thought is to fab up spacers that go under the handlebar and submount to lift the handlebar and top clamp up higher as a unit. Would work for all your models.

- Mike
  17. HDB

HDB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike, I looked at the post and the tank bolt frame mount looks like a pretty simple solution. Also, I cringe whenever someone says I didn't return an email, don't get me wrong I screw up more than most, so I went back and found your email and my reply from 11/12 and forwarded it on to you. Sometimes hotmail accounts go to spam, but give a check.

Here are some shots of the design I have, this along with the frame mt could solve it. It's tight between the lower clamps and they'll need some cutouts to fit, but this will get it mounted up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think. Paul
  18. husky123

husky123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paul,

Check your email for one from me.:evil
  19. K7MDL

K7MDL 2015 Tiger 800XCx

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul,

I got your direct email today, so that is working now, thanks.

Interesting design option above. Most solutions I have seen integrate the submount and riser, but you have proposed a more abstract submount allowing potentially stock risers of customer choice to be used across a wider variety of models, provided there is enough clearance in the middle.

There has been concern over the durability of using the gas tank bolt alone for the guide pin support, but the post is welded to the frame tube and looks more than sturdy enough to me as long as the pin height is reasonable - such as only use a under-bar not over-the-bar damper. Besides, if the bolt/pin or even the post were to snap off, it is an inconvenience, not a safety issue, in my book. Easy to weld repair even stronger. Tie wraps work for this in the field as a repair.

Motosportz fits their damper under the bar on the TE510 and lower models. Your submount might be designed to accomodate the bolt patterns of either damper, maybe even GPR in a single part?

- Mike
    Gwilli likes this.
  20. dhawker

dhawker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hasn't GPR just come out with a steering damper specifically for the Husky TE610?

What I would like to know is if I could get the HDB top clamp to mount to the new GPR TE610 lower setup?

This would solve all my issues as I love the HDB system but also want a steering stabilizer that I don't have to fabricate a post for on the TE610. I like the Motosportz system also, but would prefer an under the bars lower position for the stabilizer, as the upper mount would interfere with my GPS and wouldn't work with the HDB top clamp.

Here is the link I am refering to
    http://www.gprstabilizer.com/app_27_husqvarna_610