Attn Arizona and New Mexico!

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by ILLUSION, Apr 13, 2013.

1. ILLUSION

ILLUSION Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PLANNING TO RIDE THE CORONADO TRAIL, AKA HWY 191, AKA THE DEVIL'S ROPE. Leaving Phx at 0400 heading for Eagar riding US60 east through Salt River Canyon, Show Low and into Eagar by 1000 hopefully. Then it is on to the Rope and into Morenci. Then back through Safford and on to Mesa. Somewhere along the way I will likely camp Sunday night.
    So...Anyone feel like riding some slab? Should be epic scenery!
    Please PM me if you want to meet anywhere alon the route to ride.
    I wont be online after 0400 Sunday April 14-
  2. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Great ride. I just did it last week.
  3. ILLUSION

ILLUSION Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All I can say is that this ride truly is EPIC! Imagine more than 100 miles of perfect moto road with beautiful scenery around every one of the more than 500 corners! SO very under-rated!
  4. ILLUSION

ILLUSION Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They Feel What I feel... FREE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. ILLUSION

ILLUSION Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Arizona has unreal diversity and you can see a lot of it on a day of epic riding.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. ILLUSION

ILLUSION Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

130mph running to the gates

[​IMG]

With eager anticipation I had to shot a pic or two

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. ILLUSION

ILLUSION Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. ILLUSION

ILLUSION Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After about 30 miles of white knuckle riding through tight twisties and switching back up the mountain the rewards just keep coming
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. ILLUSION

ILLUSION Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. ILLUSION

ILLUSION Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. ILLUSION

ILLUSION Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. ILLUSION

ILLUSION Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning to return and ride the rope again on May 5-6 if anyone wants to ride it with me.
  13. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at that ride. I was planning to go south to north and incorporate more dirt on the way there and back. I don't know if those dates would work, but maybe mid-May sometime.
  14. ILLUSION

ILLUSION Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MidMay would work for me too. I can't do dirt anymore now that I got this bike, but I will ride the Rope with you. I am pretty sure I have ridden with you before anyway. I used to be hell on dirt with my XRs, and had the user name Judoka. I just had to accept that I cannot slow down on dirt and bought a sport touring bike. Let me know.
  15. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit

Oddometer:
    I gotta ask... where did ya pick up "the Devil's Rope" from??
  16. WantToRideMoar

WantToRideMoar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always heard of it referred to as "Devil's Highway" rather than Devil's Rope. Due to it being highway # 666 before getting renumbered due to lobbying from religious folk.

But I love that ride. I've only done it from north to south, from Hannigan's Meadow and Alpine down to Clifton/Morenci.

Great elk/antelope/deer hunting area, as long as you have the stamina to hike it. You ain't gonna be able to just jump out of your truck and shoot a critter and haul it 50 feet to the bed of the truck back there.

Those golden plains just under the rim climb are hypnotizing.

ETA: A google search of "Devil's Rope" suggests that the term applies to barbed wire. This highway, however, is hit #1 when googling for "Devil's Highway Arizona" and in the top 3 when googling "Devil's Highway."
  17. ILLUSION

ILLUSION Adventurer

Oddometer:
    US Highway 191 was renamed after some fanatics thought that the old Route Number was, "evil" . It was US Highway 666, also referred to as The Devil's Highway, Highway To Hell, and the Devils Rope. The easiest way to attract tourists and traffic is to call it Coronado Trail, since it actually closely follows the trail blazed by Coronado in his search for Cibola and the 7 Cities Of Gold. Now you know.:1drink
    Devil' Rope was a term used in the 60s because like a rope, it winds and twists. A little more research and you will see the term. Either way, the name sounds cool, and it truly is ONE HELL OF A RIDE!
  18. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    First time I rode 666 in AZ was 1970, it was called "The Devil's Highway" then. A few friends and I used to trailer bikes from Denver to ride from Alpine south and back a few times in a weekend then back to CO. Too bad they re-numbered it, the old designator seem more then approperate. Still a fun ride both ways.
  19. ILLUSION

ILLUSION Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, whatever the HELL you want to call it, the DAMNED thing was fun. You Fucking Fucks need to ride it!:fyyff
  20. TT RDHS

TT RDHS Long timer

Oddometer:
    there will be a group of us riding up the 191 (from Phoenix and then up through Morenci) the weekend of May 17th. We'll be riding up on friday morning and we'll spend two nights at the "Tal-wi-wi" lodge, in Alpine. Three days of great twisty roads!
    Tal-wi-wi is a great place to stay, they have comfortable rooms, a decent restaurant and the best bar in town! No worries about getting back to your room safely after boozing it up a bit...
    Maybe we'll see you there.
    :beer
    Brad (TT RDHS)