2012 ktm 690 enduro R owners, any major problems ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by edra, May 13, 2012.

1. edra

edra n00b

Oddometer:
    Howdy adventurers, ive just registered and have enjoyed reading this site,I am about to purchase a new 2012 ktm 690 enduro R but I have a few questions for any of you 2012 690 enduro R owners.
    From what i can ascertain so far, the 2012 enduro R is a good bike but it has some issues those being

- bad tank bolts
    - radiator fan shroud and blades wearing into radiator quickly
    - leaking coolant on metal pump face thingo
    - stalling at idle at lights,ecu fuel tuning etc
    - polycarbonate sub frame ?
    - rubber fuel or coolant? hose needs to be zip tied to frame to avoid wear

Are there any other problems with the 2012 model anyone knows of. I thought they had redesigned it for 2012 to rectify some of the issues but have they !?
    I like the idea of the 690 R because although its heavy, with the right front fork rebuild and rear shock rebuild it is one of the more powerfull designs with a full exhaust making 70 -75 hp at the rear wheel all day long,:D

i know its not a 570 fe but its not so aggresively tuned and will last much longer between rebuilds.

if the 690 is on the verge of stalling out etc often making it tiresome ,WOULD I be better of waiting for the 2013 ENDURO R ?

Thanks in advance.
  2. kmann51

kmann51 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too was excited about the NEW improved 690 enduro. Picked it up Tuesday and didn't have an opportunity to give it a shake down until today. It started stumbling and it seemed ready to die so I pulled over and then it did stall. Long story short, I got it home and the blinking F1 light indicates it's a fuel pump issue. 4 longs and 1 short was the code. I'll take it in Tuesday and I'm pissed off enough to ask for my money back. I'm accustomed to Honda, BMW and Ducati reliability. It's been 10-15 years since my last KTM and obviously those were carburated.
  3. Roughidle

Roughidle Slipping into darkness

Oddometer:
    Jersey City, NJ, USA, Earth, Sol System, UNIVERSE!
    Thumpers
  4. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want 75hp, you will probably have the same issues. If you leave it stock, including the exhaust and intake systems, it doesn't stall. I am sure you could apply those mods and make a proper map, but according to the big thread, nobody has made one that actually works.

You are right about 75hp, though. I can't imagine it because my stocker is more violently powerful than the bike it replaced; a KTM 950 ADV.
  5. edra

edra n00b

Oddometer:
    interesting, I had suspicions that they had only fluffed over it without fixing much from 2011, thank you, sorry to hear you had a fuel pump issue this early, on a similar note, Ive had a 2011 250 sx 2 stroke and it had nothing but problems.
  6. Kirkster

Kirkster Parts Murderer

Oddometer:
    Swapped out the Exhaust for an FMF Q4 Ti, put in the foam filter and it is rock solid. No stalling issues and runs great.

It is heavier than my WR450F and about the same as my old DRZ400E, But it feels much lighter when you are riding it, frankly it feels like a bike weighing it at 275 pounds VS the 310 mine weighed in at...
  7. Maurizio

Maurizio 2 smoker

Oddometer:
    Maybe you have better waiting for m.y. 2014...
  8. Pheebs

Pheebs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey mister!!

Sam and I picked up two last week! Mines been running like a dream... Only thing thats a bugger is the tremendously super hot exhaust which after brushing against after a ride nearly turned my bum into a rump steak! We're doing a rtw trip on them so will be changing this and various other bits!

Sams bike on the other hand... First ride out (heading to our charity event to promote our rtw on bikesfunnily enough) we filled up with petrol and when pulling off gently the bubba back fired and there was a stupid loud pop... Or so we thought. He tried again... Sam thing happened... And again. We pulled the bike up and upon a close inspection discovered the throttle body had detatched itself from the engine.

We could have fixed it but out of principle with it being 24hrs old we asked the dealer to pick it up.

When the bike returned they said they had tightened it back on but the rubber was cosmetically damaged at the join so they had ordered a new one and it was sound to ride. 2nd ride out and 100miles later of steady riding and it was fine. The next day we noticed there was some coolant coming out of the overflow, thought nothing of it and took it out again.

30mins later... *pop* ... The throttle body had come off again. In the middle of Wales we fixed it the best we could at the side of the road but in doing so noticed it was spewing out coolant from the cap and over flow and the oil too was steadily leaking everywhere.

Needless to say we've sent it back to be looked at by the garage. A chap we met at the charity biking event last weekend had the same problem with the throttle body and it also randomly cutting out so we're wondering if this is a potential manufacturing fault!

Currently Sam has been left with a courtesy bike of a Suzuki v-stromb of which he is mega sad about poor boy!

Will update when I know more! Hope no one else has our problems!
  9. kmann51

kmann51 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tracy at Gresham KTM chased it down to the fuel pump -as the blink code indicated. During the assembly of the bike, a zip tie used to secure the fuel pump wiring actually pulled one of the wires loose and the connection was intermittent. I put a quick 100 miles on it to see how it ran and now it seems fine. I'm now on my way to Moab, UT for a few days of riding and although there are more appropriate KTM's for this ride, this 690 is going to be put to the test.

This is the first KTM I've bought since 2000, and from what I've read and heard from other owners is that the performance is right on but the reliability/quality control is spotty. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  10. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've over 1500km on mine now, and it still runs great.
    I've also installed a leovince exhaust and I haven't changed the mapping or whaty so ever. The bike runs better then ever, no stalling issues over here.
  11. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    My new '12 is doing good other than an intermittent speedo/odometer.
    My Q4 & RR filter is on the way.
    My shop is confident my 690 will run well with a '12 off road map.
  12. Otto12

Otto12 n00b

Oddometer:
    I picked mine up a month ago and have just over 1500 miles on it...no problems at all with it. I will admit, like everyone else, that the stock exhaust is waaaay hot, but other than that, it has been fine (knock on wood). The only mods that I plan on making is going with a Wings, K&N air filter and some Mefo tires. Oh yes, and changing out the front and rear springs since they are soooo soft.

Sorry to hear other 2012 owners are having some issues. One would think that manufacturers would listen to the masses and work to fix the common problems.
  13. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 750 miles after yesterday's dual sport ride in the Berkshires. I can say it still runs well. The motor is getting smoother too. It was very vibey at first. Now the only vibey area is 65-69mph or so. Very smooth low 70's to 80 (6k rpm break-in limit). Also I turned the ECU map to #1 and that helped the snatchiness around town. Suspension is getting more supple too. I think the D/S ride helped a lot. She goes in for first service this week.

I broke down and ordered a sheepskin buttpad from BARB. :huh I didn't think I'd need one, but after 2.5 hours getting to the D/S ride and 2.5 hours after...:cry

Regarding my accessories, the flip off tailbag is GREAT! Quick release for fueling. I hope it never falls off, though. Only one pin holds it on from the front.

The touring screen isn't quite tall enough for me. I may switch to a Cee-Bailey Yamaha WR250R screen. I will have them not drill it so I can use the holes I have. We'll see after a few more rides.

The large tank bag is a practical large volume solution. It fits the bike well and doesn't get in the way when standing the pegs. I hope to only use the tank and tail bags in conjunction with my Wofman Expedition panniers.

I am thinking about going to a Arai Signet road helmet. I want something quieter and more aerodynamic.

Have not mounted my Scotts, Kouba Link, or Wolfman luggage system yet.

Nice motorcycle. :thumb

Oh, and PS: I did one face plant in the mud. I picked her up myself without an issue and it was bars downslope too... Couldn't do that on my twin without help! That was the number one reason for buying the 690.
  14. rdkyote

rdkyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have about 700 miles on my 690. No problems; although for the first 100 miles or so it didn't seem to want to start on the first go. Fires right up now.

Still have the stock exhaust but that will likely go in the next year or so.
  15. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    I've knocked out the first 1000 km on mine without issues. Did notice some coolant leaking from the hose going into the overflow tank but that has since stopped. Bikes goes in for it's first break in servicing tomorrow. No mods to exhaust or air intake yet, likely will only do the exhaust...maybe the air filter. There does seem to be a spot in the throttle where the bike catches and stalls on occasion. I've only noticed it when you are giving light blips to the throttle with the clutch in, like when you are feathering the clutch and blipping the gas when negotiating technical terrain. The solution, more aggressive twists. No stalls when simply sitting at idle or anything. Gobs of power and torque. My buddies 2011 with an FMF does have noticeably crisper throttle response down low, something to consider.

Mods for far:
    - Pivot Pegs
    - Rox Risers
    - Flatland Skid Plate
    - Touring screen
    - ACV Grab on Grip Covers
    - Double Take folding mirrors
    - Put the rear passenger grab handles on and deleted the rear passenger pegs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some vid of me and my friend out playing. (Skip the first 2:30) I almost clear the creak at 4:20 :lol3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-efQhjfwURg
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Mine hasn't come off in 25K miles. Just make sure you adjust the pin every now and then to make sure it engages correctly and lube it a little every now and then.
  17. rdkyote

rdkyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey CanadianX, did KTM mark the hole location on the underside of the plastic for those passenger grab handles? I would like to mount mine too but not quite obvious where they get drilled. I don't have any sort of template or anything that came with the tool kit.
  18. Maurizio

Maurizio 2 smoker

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  19. Kirkster

Kirkster Parts Murderer

Oddometer:
    Just put 1500 miles on mine over 5 days. Everything went fine except for my Speedo/Odometer had an issue with the LCD part of the speedo. It started having parts of the display winking in and out... Not sure if it is still doing it but it was annoying...
  20. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    My Q4 slip-on is in along with my RR air filter. My dealer will be checking for my speedo issues at that time (getting mapped also).
    I did not find loose wires or plugs on my look through. Sensor seems attached properly at the front wheel...
    Its intermittent and my last ride out the speedo/odo seemed to work ok. :scratch
    Hmmm...
    I am staying positive cause I am going to ride this bike. :evil