Am I the only Adventurer in the Ouachitas?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by jgas, Nov 17, 2012.

1. jgas

jgas Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer:
    I ride a DRZ 400 with a big tank, live in Thornburg Ar., eastern edge of the Ouachitas, about 30 miles NW of Little Rock on Hwy 10. Or, 30 miles south of Morrilton, 7 miles south of Perryville. I can see the eastern boundary of the Ouachita Nat Forest from my front yard. I've been riding the eastern end of this area for many years, now want to explore it all the way to Talimena. I am a former Enduro rider, and prefer the "harder" side of Dual Sport, or I suppose the really hard side of Adventure riding. I don't care about going crazy fast, but I also don't want to stay on wide easy dirt roads all the time. I prefer to keep off of pavement most of the time, but if it links up an interesting off road ride, thats fine. If an old log road to a river or creek, waterfall or any kind of trail seemingly headed anywhere that looks interesting comes up in my exploration, I'm taking it. My goal is to eventually see every mountain top, creek, valley, overlook, river, and any other interesting thing in the Ouachitas. I can take any fairly good off road rider to some pretty interesting places now, and would like to lead or be led by anyone with similar interests to see more.

Eventually I'd like to find a mostly off road route to the Talimena Ok. area to link up with the Talimaniacs, some salty old off roaders who ride mostly singletrack in the Talimena area. I've ridden with them before, great bunch and great riders. Talimena is a fantastic place to ride, but it's pretty darn tough. About like an Enduro race course most of the time, but certainly not impossible. Perryville to Talimena Ok., mostly off road, on the most difficult roads/trails possible for a DS bike sound like fun? I think it could be accomplished in 6-12 months of exploration? If we did it in less time, or it took 5 years, so what?

Yes, I like to rough it a bit, but don't mind a sidetrip to a good restaurant, or maybe even an overnight stay in a hotel on occasion. Or I'll eat MREs and camp, whatever, as long as I'm getting to ride and explore! I like straying off to historical sites, mines, abandoned towns, old cemetaries, Civil war battlesites, whatever. Or I'll ride up the side of a mountain just to see what's on top and take in the view.

I've been riding by myself for 30 years, but it's probably time to be a little safer and partner up with someone or someones. Besides, its more fun with other riders.

Am I the only idiot willing to commit, or do I have to keep riding by myself? Tomorrow, starting about 9am, I am headed Southwest towards Ok. through the Ouachitas. It will have to be a one day ride, but I'm going to mostly stick to roads with a few excursions, and see if I can make it half way? Or I may forget setting a half way goal if I find enough interesting side routes to take. I am going to keep riding with our without you, but why not tag along? Or if you know the area better than me, or you are better with GPS than me, which won't be hard, I'll follow.

Lets ride the harder side of the Ouachitas, Arkies!
  2. Dragon43

Dragon43 If you insist.

Oddometer:
    You did not chase me down all the times I went through Thornburg.... Would have been easy, I'm slow. Maybe why you didn't. Anywho.
    I lived on Petit Jean until this past March when we moved to Prairie Grove S/W of FYV.

I like to splore but I am new to dirt but old in body. ( 69 ) So I would not be who you are looking for but maybe Nate or a few others who are south of you might be interested. Apostle2 can climb trees with you but most have day jobs and retired fast single tack guys are hard to find in just one area. Arkansas rider knows the west end of the area.

I have a few friends who would let me past some gates into some neat places but you prolly have done them from the back side after all these years.

Good luck and post lots of pictures.
  3. Vinduroman

Vinduroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi jgas:

I live in Poteau, OK. I've mostly ridden solo for the 43 years I've been riding. Have had the opportunity to ride with the NW adv craziers a few times... was fun. Too bad they live so far away.

Most of my explorations have been in the Poteau Mountain Range and the northern portion of the Ouachitas in AR/OK. Almost two decades ago I was doing a lot of riding/exploring down toward Muse and as far southeast as near Bengal. Was finding some good stuff to ride... but that was too long ago to help you now... and... so long ago I can't remember much about where the trails start/end.

I do think that I remember that If you can connect dirt from your place as far as Three Sticks, I "think" you can ride the ridge east from Three Sticks all the way to near Talihina, OK, where it will descend off the ridge and come out in the Talihina, OK area. At least, that's the way I remember it about 20 years ago.

Vinduroman
  4. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    Y'all don't know what your getting into on a ride with jgas. They don't make them like him anymore. He rode a KLR650 to the White Rock Enduro a few years ago and competed on it. He pretty much lives at Brock Creek too. Still, he can take you to places few can get to.

Speaking of rides Mr. Jeffro, Pete and some of us Northeast Arkansas Flatlanders are tentatively planning a Dardanelle to Magazine and south of Blue Mountain Lake day ride after Thanksgiving (Friday or Saturday). We have one big bike with us so it'll be mostly forest roads, etc... something Devro did a while back. Boring for what you like but a fun ride none the less if you want to join us.

Greg
  5. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeffro. :wave

Thanks again for your assistance getting me out of the woods at the Train Robbers Enduro. Hopefully we'll get to ride together (for real) again soon.
  6. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I might go ride next Saturday. I live outside Hot Springs.
    Started riding in '71. Raced a little bit. My last full season was '96. Rode pavement mostly until 4 years ago when I bought an XR650L.
    Deer season limits my exploring.
    Jgas, I have also been looking for a way to the Runestone on dirt. FR67 is scenic but slow going. You will like it.
  7. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    I am totally down with this philosophy. For me, riding is about riding. Eating at restaurants and staying in hotels is a separate deal. It's nice, but I can do that on a car trip. I'm trying to pair down my bike, and gear, to the smallest, lightest combo possible for extended off-road trips. Light and minimalist is the way to go. I've picked up my adventure bike by myself too many times to want to do it much more. Big bike + off road = not fun.

Anyway, just saying that you're not alone in your desire to get off the beaten path. I'm new to the area so I don't know much about any of the places you are talking about, but I've ridden some desolate stuff in the middle of Nowhere, Nevada. And I liked it. Let us know how your route works out. I'm in Fayetteville.
  8. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
  9. IceBikeDave

IceBikeDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jgas,
    I live in H s Village about 25 dirt miles from you. I am sort of new at dirt riding. Altho I have logged over 16,000 in the last 2 years , mostly in the Ouachitas east of 27 and west of 9. I will be riding tomorrow. I have been riding for about 44 years and I plan on getting to 50 years. Let me know if you want to get together and ride. I have a two gallon tank so keep that in mind.
  10. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm on the other side of town from you, about an hour away. The area between 27 and 9 is pretty nice. That's what I'm thinking about Saturday.
    Have you thought about a larger tank or strapping a can to the rear rack?
  12. IceBikeDave

IceBikeDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Arkansawyer,
    I can go about 110 miles on a tank. I carry an old seafoam can full of gas once in a while, and in my last trip to Colorado I had a 3 Qt gas can to carry. I have learned where the gas stations are at and I make due that way. One of the rules of being over 50 is "Never pass up a bathroom without using it" or for people with small tanks, gas stations. But I would carry the 3 qt if required..
  13. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forecast is 32/50 Saturday.
  14. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    Supposed to be a little warmer on Friday. There's a few of us still planning on meeting up at the Dardanelle Wal-Mart between 9 and 9:30, if we can find a parking place to unload. My wife and daughter are going shopping... I plan on riding as far away from any retail stores as I can get. We'd love to have more company.

Greg
  15. Mister D

Mister D Peg standing idiot

Oddometer:
    I sure am sorry about that. I've got three bikes, none quite roadworthy right now, and no money handy to get them fixed. Been having a slight medical issue lately so I've missed some work and I'm just trying to keep the bills paid. I guess that's kept me off here too, didn't see any point posting if I wasn't riding either. Not riding is not helping my mental condition any either. Of course, I'm no expert and I've gotten a little wary of trying to keep up with former enduro racers.
  16. Vinduroman

Vinduroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Duane:

Very sorry to read of your health issues. Prayers and thoughts for marked improvement.

V-man
  17. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Duane, I will pray for you. I didn't know you'd had any bad experiences with old enduro guys.

Anyone want to ride Saturday in spite of the cold? I'm thinking about 9am near HSV for a start point.
  18. Mister D

Mister D Peg standing idiot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the prayers, guys. I think I'm getting past the medical issue, pretty much cleared by the doc as of two days ago. The issue was that I have a growth on my vocal cord and had some serious bleeding going on. Wasn't allowed to talk at all for a while, so UPS didn't want me out there unable to talk to customers. Got past that, but still had to see the doctor quite a bit. But anyway, I'm out of the woods and ready to carry on at work and hopefully get out riding again soon. Maybe even with an old enduro rider like Jeff.
  19. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hare scrambles and turkey runs mainly. Enduro timekeeping wasn't my friend.

I'll check back around 7am. If nobody responds I will not be at HSV at 9am.
  20. tx246

tx246 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm one of those Talimaniacs who happens to have an appetite for dual sport. I am familiar with the stuff from Tali to points north of Mena. Mike Carpenter and I did a 320 mile loop that included K trail, 20 miles of Mill Creek trail, lots of beat up Polk CR and a drive through a prison. I like the hard end of the spectrum when it comes to d/s. I have a well equipped DRZ with a big tank. I'm well versed in GPS. I like to camp off the bike. It all fits in a Giant Loop. Resume includes TAT, southern section of the CDT, Copper Canyon Mx, Moab and numerous rides in Co.

The reality of all dirt routes are possible but the trail portions are always going to be bonus diversions. Lots of stuff south of the K Trail is now posted as Wherhayser has leased it to hunting clubs. There is some awesome stuff by Heavener but it all leads to nowhere.

Work up tracks toward Mena and I can hook you up the rest of the way.