1982 husqvarna 430 rebuild

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by sam2, Oct 15, 2012.

1. sam2

sam2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked up this old beast this summer. Street legal :D. siezed it up and im getting the bored out cylinder with new piston tomorrow. Whatcha think?

[​IMG]
  2. wfrpalm

wfrpalm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice. I had the 1982 motocross version, that thing was a blast. Have fun.
  3. sam2

sam2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So i have the motor with new piston pretty much completely back together, but I'm not sure on how to set the timing. the stator and the inside of the case have a mark scratched into them, I assume that these should be lined up when i put the stator on ? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
  4. gloud

gloud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have not already replace the crank seals. as for timing on that motor I can't help.
  5. Euromad

Euromad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    go to cafehusky in the vintage section they'll know
  6. sam2

sam2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the timing was actually pretty simple but i have had the new piston in for a while and went for a couple dual sport rides out to the pine barrens (i live in NJ) and she seems to be running much better, but when I am sitting at idle there is a loud rattling from the gearcase. other than this she's doing great and fires up first or second kick now, only trouble is keeping both wheels on the ground while on the street :D
  7. Beemer Bob

Beemer Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    1987 CR430 I picked up this summer..

[​IMG]
  8. Knobbiethrower

Knobbiethrower ADV in ADK

Oddometer:
    Very Clean-hope you are riding it!
  9. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice looking bike good looking one for its age. hope you can ride the bike with a seat hight like that:eek1
  10. Beemer Bob

Beemer Bob Long timer

Oddometer:

Oh yeah I can reach the ground but the weather prevents me from riding right now. That and the fact that I have to replace the intake manifold due to dry rot.......it's on the way.
  11. sam2

sam2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I rebuilt the motor, there was no head gasket, and i was told that this motor doesn't use one. Does anyone know if this is accurate?
  12. CoyoteCowboy

CoyoteCowboy Easily Distracted

Oddometer:
    I dont really remember my 81 430 having a head gasket on it..

(confirmed, just checked my factory parts list :deal ) but there is one between the case and the jug.
  13. sam2

sam2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I did receive a base gasket but no head gasket and there wasn't one on there before the rebuild. I was tempted to seal with RTV gasket maker but I figured if it's supposed to run without a head gasket that could be bad news. My bike has a battery that is long dead, and it would be nice to have the headlight work at an idle for street riding, but I have no idea what type of battery is on there, it kinda looks homemade (cells taped together). The battery was strapped onto a piece of aluminum that was screwed into the back of the airbox, which I replaced by simply using zip-ties through the tiny screw holes. I think I might just try a generic light 12v battery like the $30 one for my xt225 and see if it does the trick.
  14. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    had a 82 wr125 same colour
    one of my all time favourite bikes
    enjoy
  15. CoyoteCowboy

CoyoteCowboy Easily Distracted

Oddometer:
    If its a WR or an XC it should have the proper charging system to run lights, but theres no battery to speak of from the factory. CRs were the comp bikes and didnt have that. Have you checked out the vintage leftkickers section at CafeHusky yet? Tons of info there and a pretty sharp bunch of guys to boot! :freaky

linky>> http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/vintage-left-kickers.63/
  16. Tobz

Tobz Ne'er-du-well

Oddometer:
    +1 on the cafehusky recomendation! I haven't been over there in a while but there are a lot of guys on the forum that really know left kicker Huskys.

Oh, and many early Huskys don't use head gaskets. If the head leaks you just dress the head and cylinder with valve lapping compound.