Compression release

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by mudmantra, Jun 23, 2012.

1. mudmantra

mudmantra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to find more information on these compression release's. Who made them, and how they worked. I used to ride with a friend that had one on his old Yamaha 125. He used it for engine braking. And I remember one time he dumped his bike in the river and filled the engine with water. Then to restart his bike, he just pulled the compression release, hit the electric starter and pumped all the water out. Then the 125 started and we just kept riding. Those little 125's were tough! This is a picture of one on a Suzuki TM400. I also have one on my YZ465. :beer
    [​IMG]
  2. AC Swank

AC Swank Banned

Oddometer:
    Google this: vintage japanese motorcycle compression release

There are several on Ebay.
  3. mudmantra

Oddometer:
    Thanks.:thumb The kits also gave me a better idea of how to route a control cable. Now I've just been pressing down on the compression release, while kicking the motor over.:huh A bit awkward on a tall machine. But it works anyway. :D
  4. AC Swank

AC Swank Banned

Oddometer:
    What year is your 125? I have a 1970 and a 1973 along with two 1970 175's.
  5. willis 2000

willis 2000 neo-quixote

Oddometer:
    A lot of us had those back in the 70s. If your bike's head came tapped for two spark plugs, it would screw right in. Otherwise, it took some machine work to install. The machined heads were prone to cracking between the plug holes.
    It was also realized that these things let unfiltered air into the cylinder. Little engine braking occurred, but the sound was way cool.
  6. mudmantra

Oddometer:
    It was a friends bike. I think it was a 1972. It had 18 inch wheels front and rear. We lived were we could ride off road everyday, so our bike really took a beating. I know we all got new bikes in 1974. Mine had every part bent or broke with in a year. I only broke my arm. Still rigged the throttle, so I could ride. I don't know why the Doctor got mad when I brought my broken cast back for him to fix. :D
  7. mudmantra

Oddometer:
    Yeah I can't wait to get mine working from the handle bar. It well be a lot easier to start the YZ465. I agree, I think they sound cool too. :thumb
  8. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I found they gave too much engine braking. Deciding I was disadvantaged on the dirttrack with no engine braking, I fitted one to my TM400 - it just locked up the wheel and sent me off the track. Same on a trials bike, too much engine braking to be controllable on a steep decent.
  9. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    They work pretty well on a a 250cc and smaller 2 smoke at higher revs. Keep in mind that it is a direct pathway for unfiltered dirt to access you piston & bore. On a nice damp TT or Flat track they are bitchen, anywhere else you are asking for excessive wear.
  10. mudmantra

Oddometer:
    Good point, I don't want dirt inside the motor. Main use for the compression release, well be starting the motor when it's cold. That well reduce some wear and tear on the case and kick starter. I may have some machine work done on the cylinder head, to improve the combustion chamber too. The YZ465 is not most friendly bike to kick start.:eek1 But If I get the jetting spot on, it should be better.... I hope. :D
  11. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use them in creek crossing on bikes with drum brakes. We all know drum brakes aren't as effective when wet, so the compression release is an excellent brake substitute.
  12. mudmantra

Oddometer:
    I better look at my brakes too. It stops good now, but they might be 1980 shoes. I've had old shoes come apart on me before. :p3rry
  13. mudmantra

Oddometer:
    This just came in. Old but new from ebay. The compression release is just like the one in my bike. Now I have a cable and lever too. :D
    [​IMG]
  14. mudmantra

Oddometer:
    Looks like this place sells a compression release for 2 strokes too. looks like it should be a good item. I guess these are used a lot on the 2 stroke flat trackers.
    http://www.omarsdtr.com/dtcomprel.html
  15. 44Dwarf

44Dwarf n00b

Oddometer:
    The better of the two types I've seen do not let air or dirt in at all there's a secondary valve plate held down by a spring in side the body so when you pull the lever the popit valve opens inside the motor but only the motor compression air can come out as the washer shaped valve plate just under the side exit holes are blocking the path so it is a self check valve only positive crank pressure can come out.
    The braking effect can be tuned by how far you let the valve open turning the top plate further down loads the spring to make it harder to pull but also limit the opening amount.

If I find some time i'll take some pictures as its hard to explain in words.