R75/5 Rear shock Info

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by kantuckid, Feb 1, 2012.

1. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried the "Dark Secrets" thread in searching for info on rear shock options for my project bike-a 1973 LWB R75/5. I have several sets of OEM old shocks around and they seem ok but not cosmetically ok. The dark secret on these must be to have lots of money to spend??? I know most of the regular sources like ebay, Hucky's , Motobins & so on, but open to hear more places to look.Thanks in advance!!!:ear
  2. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    As it's call for price, please throw me out a ball park price for a pair ,unless of course time has passed since you bought??? It's a dogfight to bid on Koni's on fleabay. Progressives are pricey as are the British offerings. Also, do the YSS allow for use of the OEM trim caps or do you have to pay for theirs? thanks
  4. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will try to locate my receipt from Tom; purchased Hyperpro fork springs and YSS shocks not too long ago. Get back with you later if I find the receipt. Stock "caps" will not work with the YSS shocks. If you're going for the stock look, check into the Ikons.
  5. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paid $698 for YSS shocks plus Hyperpro fork springs; don't have receipt so exact price on YSS shocks is a guess, $500 (?). Look at the price on Ohlins shocks - I paid roughly half the cost of the Ohlins for the YSS model RZ362-330TRL-M. Tom has several models of the shocks, some more expensive and others less expensive than what I paid.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Thats a litle bit above my teacher retirement check allowance. I don't have to have oem look per caps and some may work with changing the hole on oem caps too. I tried to interpolate from the ikon chart if another brand bikes shocks might be a go to expand my bargain hunting but didn't see anything that caught my eye as near to? Ideas still welcomed.:ear
  7. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    eBay...
  8. rheritage

rheritage Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could check with Bob's BMW, they carry exact replica's with the shrouds installed for $299.

Good Luck,
    Rich
  9. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    Uhmm...

Sooner or later you're going to have to bite the bullet and spend some money. Either that or use what you have.

My chrome-bodied Ikons cost me over $400 new. Ohlin's are going to be about $800. YSS maybe $600 to $700. Progressive shocks are probably the cheapest at about $200 give or take but they're also the lousiest of the bunch.

All that said, if the used Koni's on Ebay or new Progressives are too expensive for you, riding an Airhead may not be in your future, because the buy-in for a set of used Koni's and a rebuild kit, is about as low as it goes for a usable shock.
  10. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    I use and used to sell Progressive rear shocks, I don't think that they're all that horrible.
    I would say that they are the best bang for the buck at under $300.00. There are 3 different grade springs that are available as well.
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having stated I was a cheapskate doesn't cause me to not be interested in what the choices are , out there. I have 4 bikes currently and after riding since 1963, I'm starting to understand what things are pricey,etc.. Maybe I need mindsok to be my patron saint of which hobbies to pursue? :D I can be placed in the crowd that counts their money and pulls the trigger on bargins-their is little doubt I will not put Ohlins,Wilbers,YSS or similarly priced new shocks on this bike but I trully appreciate hearing all the choices. I'm an ebay regular and about to finish my Bultaco after several yrs of hunting parts. They are a much harder find, mind you. I don't think it likely I'll be chased from biking by anything or anyone except "Father Time".:wink:
  12. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be afraid to look at other shocks that have the same length & configurations that you would commonly find on other bikes. ie: Japanese bikes, some sportsters etc. You should be able to find a new pair for less than $200 or less. I've gone this route on old Gold Wings that I've restored in the past and they worked fine.

Yes no doubt the higher priced shocks may work better, but the shock that these bikes came out of the factory with is a pretty low tech item. I wouldn't look at used shocks they are not worth the time unless you can hand inspect them for pits on the shaft etc.

Look around at the non BMW sites for aftermarket shocks with the same length etc. and see what you can come up with. If its just a daily rider and not a show bike its not going to hurt anything.
  13. Overdog

Overdog 'Burghherfer.....

Oddometer:
    in a little cafe just the other side of the border
    Kaw KZ 1000 shocks will fit.....I know this for fact since a buddy gave me a set from a parts bike he had. I used them until I could get something better.
  14. Hawk Medicine

Oddometer:

Sure, I'll be your Patron Saint if you really want me to but that means that you'll have to stop complaining about how much parts cost. My saintly teaching is that Your prayers might be better directed towards your bank, your employer or your parts supplier! :lol3

Truthfully... If you want a really good shock, save up for the expensive ones. If you're going to cheap-out, buy Progressives.
  15. GeezWhiz

GeezWhiz Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Any spring rate suggestions for Progressive's dual-rate springs for a R75/5 with a 175 lb rider? Progressive's web site is no help at all.
  16. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    Your best bet is to call them direct and ask for someone in the Tech department.
    They are on the west coast
  17. Hawk Medicine

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was going to say that!

One nice thing about Progressive is that you can get a spring that will give you a smooth ride,, without the harshness if the Ikon's. For the $$$ they're a pretty god buy and I've run em with great success.

OTOH, next time I buy shocks (Which I hope will be sometime soon!) I'm going way upmarket!:wink:
  18. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Note that my $ comment was in direct reference to the nice reply I got that mentioned a $700 shock set. I see nice Koni's & similar for ~$200 a pr "out there/ebay" and that's my aim. Actually, I'll have very few big ticket parts on this R75/5 restore other than the speedo unit , the shocks ,whatever clutch disc/etc. & spokes/tires.It was a basket case that came with several $,$$$ in new parts.
  19. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I think Koni's or Ikon's, as they are now called, are the cheaper shocks. Never had Progressive's.
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Progressives are usually cheaper than Ikons.My comment above was about used Ikon/Koni's. I'm also looking @ Harley shocks as the bike weight is similar and the length is the same for certain models. I see Hagons(British made) that are a lower price option but remind me in general appearance of buying an elcheapo, low mkt , auto shock that used to cost like $9.95 each a few years ago! Not saying they are no good, just don't "look that way".
    I understand bikes are niche mkt compared to autos but really the shock prices just don't add up when you look at the material comparison. I have bought far more car parts(esp. front strut cartridges for euro wrecks) than bike parts so its not just about branding to me as there are only so many places in the world that make shock absorbers,struts,etc..