So Disappointed

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by The Savage Rabbit, Jan 10, 2013.

1. The Savage Rabbit

The Savage Rabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sad and need to vent. If you hate that type of post then you won't like this one.

Just bought a 2005 950 on Craigslist. It came with panniers, gps mount, and akropovics. I'd always wanted one. I was so happy.

It had 8,500 miles when I bought it. Lightly used. Serviced at a local shop, though not a KTM dealer, it seems. The day after I brought it home, I noticed there was no coolant in the expansion reservoir. I took it to my KTM dealer. The water pump shaft had worn and was leaking. It took 3 weeks in the shop and $1000 to fix that, check the valves, and to do a full inspection to make sure the rest of the bike was in tip top shape. The dealer reported it was.

I rode the bike for a week, about 150 miles. On my way to work yesterday, the bike made a funny sound on start up that quickly went away. When I pulled into my office 29 miles later the tachometer shut down and my GPS turned on by itself. Then it flickered off and on. I turned the bike off and tried to restart it. Dead.

AAA towed it back to the dealer. They put a new battery in it and fired it up. They heard the same weird sound. They pulled the engine apart and found that the freewheel had bolts backed out. One sheared off and destroyed the stator. $1,200 fix. They said they'd seen this before and that KTM covered the parts ($1,000 of the $1,200 cost) under warranty. 6 weeks of ownership and it has been in the shop for 4 weeks.

There is a tech report for the 2003-2004 950s that says that the freewheel bolts have to be checked at every service because a vendor didn't use enough lock tite and they therefore are not up to KTM's standards. The result can be that the bolts can back out, shear off, and destroy the stator.

KTM is refusing to cover any of the damage because my bike is a 2005. I called KTM customer service directly. They argued that the 2005's simply don't have this problem. They said that only the 2003 and 2004's have freewheel bolts that may back out, sheer off and destroy the stator and that the 2005s were fixed at the factory. I asked how they could take that position when my bike suffered that exact same damage caused by the exact same failure, to the exact same part as the 2004 models. They said that the bike is a 2005 and therefore old and that these things happen. I told them it happened with 8,600 miles on the bike. Therefore the bike has seen less action than most other 950s in this world. I asked if KTM believes that these bolts naturally back out at 8,600 miles.

They said they'd think about it and get back to me. Very disappointed. I was just getting back to the mind set that I could learn to trust the bike (which is necessary for me to enjoy it at all), and KTM takes a dump on my desk.
  2. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Wow the water pump is a 2 hour job 3 hour at home with beers . With these low points the only way is up ,
    (Up with the front wheel )
  3. 666

666 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sucks.

But if you dont do work yourself, you will get overcharged and you will never know if they did the work you paid for. Doesnt matter which brand.

I did water pump recently, and it was just about 100$ in parts. Pretty easy to do.

Valve adjustments - just the cost of shims. Not hard to do also.

4. The Savage Rabbit

Oddometer:
    I can live with the water pump issue. It's the refusal to acknowledge that if they admit that having freewheel bolts back out, shear off, and destroy the stator is an unacceptable occurance in 2004 and therefore something they cover, then having the same same damage result from the same failure of the same part in 2005 should also be covered. Their constant response of "No, that was fixed" seems a little hollow in light of the fact that it's ... the same damage caused by the same failure of the same part.

If it weren't for this failure and their dismissive attitude on top of it, I'd be in love. I almost even bought a KTM hat. Almost.
  5. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Black 950?....

Saw a black 950 on a flatbed trailer yesterday...101 near Chesbro?....

small world
  6. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:
    Is it a 2005.5?
  7. The Savage Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Nowhat,Yep. That was mine. I want to love this bike. When it works, its so much fun.

I don't know if it's a 2005 or 2005.5.
  8. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looked to be in outstanding condition....keep the faith....it is a killer bike...just a little bad luck....:deal
  9. The Savage Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Ya, the previous owner bought it new. He owned 2 other bikes so this didn't get all of his time. As a result it only had 8,500ish miles since 2005. He showed me where he dropped it while riding it off road up at Hungry Valley. Paid a little over KBB but it came with all the stuff I'd buy for it anyway and it was the only 950 for sale within 50 miles of me that I could find.

Every time I trade a bike in around 10,000 miles I know the next guy is getting a bike that is barely broken in and in great shape. I always feel a little dumb. Knowing that, I kinda began to think that buying low millage used bikes is the way to go. Especially since they come with a few thousand dollars worth of farkels.

But ya, bad luck I guess (though I suspect he knew about the water pump since the problem appeared withing 24 hours!!). I've had good luck with Craigslist bikes in the past. I bet if I sold the bike now, I'd run into the guy a year later and he'd report that the bike is perfect.

I actually feel a bit better now.
  10. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most motorcycle shops are pretty bad , glad I am not at their mercy . My water pump went out right after I got mine too, no biggie just fixed it myself in a few hours, There is a good mechanic shop I can recommend a little farther away in Anaheim and they know KTMs. , normally I wouldnt recommend anyone

Inside Line Moto 714 639 3900
  11. The Savage Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Thanks. TO Powersports is just down the road and is a KTM dealer. I've had my issues with some of their work on other bikes but never go the feeling they were intentionally running the bill up on me.
  12. 666

666 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At least you didnt buy it new - you still ahead. It will run another 50-60k no problems now. Just check clutch for the same issue. Update fuel pump.
    14K + 9% tax and all the farkles for new.
  13. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Theres nothing like leaving for a trip on a bike you have no confidence in, every tic,hiccup or vibration will be magnified. You should have bought a Jap bike.:lol3
  14. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Hey, The Savage Rabbit,

I will add that buying the 950 was a good move, you did right, as the 950 is proven to be one of the best. The troubles you are having is not good, but it happens. I have also suffered from the KTM Corp. indifference. Still I have had 5 KTM's and 3 in the garage now. KTM's are the real deal, dependable, functional, great power when you need it, like no other bike. Need of TLC? OK sometimes.

Anyway hang in there and work on getting your bike running well and you will enjoy many years of bliss.
    KJ
  15. The Savage Rabbit

Oddometer:
    800 mile round trip weekend ride to Tonopah, NV is scheduled for Saturday am. Was looking forward to taking the 950. Oh, well. The Softail is more comfortable even if less fun.
  16. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    What a minute Rabbit, WE got a "Tonopah Low" right now. Better check the weather forecast. MC riding is going to be tuff.
    KJ
  17. Sadlsor

Sadlsor Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for your troubles, Rabbit. Please review the KTM tech bulletins, and the plethora (means "many") of resources on this forum.
    My 950 -S is a 2005.5, and I had to replace those rotor bolts. I got to do it twice, because I did the "repair" myself, but used the wrong LocTite and the new bolts came out again. Live and learn; that was my "stupid tax".
    I love the bike, and have owned several nice bikes that weren't this much fun.
    Hang in there, look for the Hall Of Wisdom / HOW and ask questions.
    Lots of savvy owners, technicians, inventors, riders, geniuses, and other help here.
  18. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rabbit, I am parting a motor out. Let me know what You need. My 05.5 has been the best machine I have ever owned in 42 years of riding.
  19. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey Rabbit, my bike was purchased from Thousand Oaks, and the previous owner from Newbury Park said he trusted those guys. It came with a bunch of receipts for service and parts from those guys too. I've also heard good things about Zracing in Orange County, a bit of a trip for you, a longass trip for me, but if you need a place you can trust, you gotta do what you gotta do.
  20. The Savage Rabbit

Oddometer:
    High of 27 and low of 7 Tonopah. We do this ride the second weekend of January every year. No rain or snow forecasted. Did it on a CBR600 last year.