Project bike: 2007 KTM LC4 640 Adventure

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by kiwipeet, Mar 8, 2011.

1. kiwipeet

kiwipeet Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer:
    I've started this thread to share my project of restoring a mates damaged 640 Adventure.

Here's how she looked when Mike first got it.

[​IMG]

I intend to restore the bike so she looks just as good again.

Mike bought the bike 2nd hand in the UK, and was riding from London to Capetown. If you want to know the background of where the bike came from, and how it came to me, you can read about it [thread=535310]here[/thread].
    XRHondafan likes this.
  2. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    Monday 7th March 2011.

This day has been a long time coming. Today is 10 months to the day since Mike's accident.

Jess and I took the wagon up to Auckland to pick up the bike. We didn't know what to expect or what we would find. After handing over the paperwork we were sent into the yard and told to wait while they brought the crate out. As soon as we see it we notice it has been re-crated.

[​IMG]

Looking through a gap in the side it appears the bike has fallen over but it hasn't. Whoever built the crate did a pretty good job and the bike is still upright, and apparently no worse than when it Left Gabon.

The left hand side of the crate had been opened by MAF... the board was loose so we decided to take it off completely rather than lose it on the motorway.

And there she was...

[​IMG]

:(:

Jess and I took a few minutes to take it in, before securing the crate and hitting the road. We had an 8 hour drive to get home.

Once we arrived home it was getting dark, and we just wanted to get the bike off the trailer and into the shed. The only way to do it was dismantle the crate on the trailer and wheel the bike off.
  3. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    Tuesday was a long day at work... I just wanted to be at home in the shed. Jess and I started by cleaning up the shed and started to gingerly remove bits and pieces, and try and get a feel for the extent of the damage. The photo that sums it up the best is here.

The tank and fairing are obviously damaged, which in turn has crushed the left hand side radiator and all the related front end subframes..

I keep looking at the the oil I see dripping off the engine and out of the bashplate. I'm worried abut what I'm going to find underneath. A cracked engine case or sump? fingies x'd...

[​IMG]

As we remove the front fairing we find a yellow bottle completely squashed flat between the fairing and the tank where they're crushed and oil everywhere.. it's the first of many surprises Im sure Mike has left for me.. it turns out it's the oil bottle for the Scott-oiler Mike fitted to lube the chain. Somehow he mounted it inside the fairing, and it got crushed in the accident. Hopefully it's the sole cause of the oil dripping off the engine.

At the end of the first day we've got the outer layers off and can see that generally she's not too bad. The main chassis appears straight, the forks, wheels and engine appear intact and serviceable. To say that I'm relieved is an understatement.
  4. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Hurry up haven't got all day!!!! I have a new bike that I'm dreaming of picking up before the end of the week.
  5. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    Back the shed again tonight. I took a few more photo's and started on the next layer. This is basically where I left it last night.

[​IMG]

Generally I'm pretty happy with what i'm finding, and keep picking at the next layer still trying to find the limits of the damage.

The Left hand side radiator is crushed, and takes me an hour of fidgeting and prying to get off including some not so subtle use of a
    crowbar.

[​IMG]

I can see a few of the radiator hoses are creased and split too. the radiator fan is crushed and cracked just enough to be knackered. I'm chuffed to find the right hand side radiator is unmarked.

I took the bash plate off and had look underneath, there's still a lot of oil, so I still don't know if it's leaking. There's no obvious cracks. I gave it wipe underneath, and i'll check it again tomorrow.

[​IMG]

I'm surprised the bike passed MAF inspection, it's covered in mud and grime... So i've decided to get it water blasted before I go any further.
  6. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    One of the US 640 regulars posted up in thumpers recently with some pics of some aftermarket high capacity radiators they had just got for a good price, might be worth looking into if that bent one isn't fixable. I'll have a poke around & try & find the thread.

Edit, found it, ASI rads & hoses: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15218117&postcount=38

They sell ASI stuff in NZ I think, so ask around locally. It might end up cheaper to import though.

Cheers
    Clint
  7. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a brand new fairing available if you need it.
  8. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    Following a sugestion by Colin (Warewolf) I've found that between http://cyclehuttktm.com/FicheFinderNew/FicheFinder.aspx and http://www.ktmworld.com/ktm_oem_parts.asp

Not only can I find part numbers for the bike, but I can also search using the part number and find out what other models use the same parts.

For example I found the same radiator (part no 58335008000) is used on about 20 different models. :D from LC4 400's up to 660's

So far:

Done: :D

Headlight mask - 5821100120070 (sorted thanks Mcguyver!!)
    Left radiator - 58335008000 done
    Radiator fan - 58435041000 done
    Radiator hose - 58435025800
    FAN CAP - 58435044000
    FAN CPL. 12V LC4 - 58435041000

On hold:

5820701333370B FUEL TANK LC4-ADV. CPL. 06
    5851209200030 BRACKET 30LT TANK BLACK 06
  9. clintnz

Oddometer:
    How many miles on it?

Any more than about 20K km & it would be a good idea to replace the cam follower roller bearings & rebuild the water pump while you are on the job. I can give you a hand if you like, got a couple of free weekends in April.

Cheers
    Clint
  10. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    Hmm good idea. But need the parts first. I really need to find an online store I can buy stuff through from OS.

Sounds like a great offer. :thumb Im free the first weekend of April, but away weekends of April 10th and 17th and maybe Easter too. It would be great to have you come through and stay though.
  11. CrazyFrog

CrazyFrog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Pete,

Good work on your project, would be nice to see Mike's bike back on the road.

Dunno if you'd tried EBay yet, but here's a couple of parts for starters.....
    Might pay to check with seller about shipping first.

Radiator LHS
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250705010074&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130481415089&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Radiator Fan
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310218637789&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Headlight Subframe
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330515727613&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The radiator hose should be cheap enough to buy new from KTM in NZ.
    How bad is the tank, I've seen a few scratched up but never one broken, but given the history of the bike, I would understand if it's buggered.

Have you considered plastic welding the fairing and repainting? They are rare as hens teeth and bloody expensive if/when you do find one.
    PM me if you need a engine repair manual, I've got one on PDF.

Cheers, CF
  12. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    Cool thanks. I'm just comparing the 2nd hand prices to brand new in $US and there's not a lot in it. But good to know there's few other options.
  13. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] Done.! Sold! Bought.. whatever. Mine!!!

Thanks Guy. :thumb
  14. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    Not much progress over the weekend. Since it was nice weather we got out on our bikes for a ride instead.

I gave it a water blast, and pfaffed about a bit.

I'm finding a few mikey mods here and there.. like this 12v cork holder. wut? :scratch

[​IMG]

The red African clay has baked on the exhaust headers. It's like a ceramic coating.. :huh Even if you get the worst of it off, it still leaves fine red greasy film, no lazy tricks here, i'll have to physically wipe down every single part.:fitz

[​IMG]

I can't try starting the bike until I have a radiator. So I'm a bit limited in what I can do until parts start arriving.

I did notice the front rim is pretty badly dented though... so that will probably need to be replaced... and yeah... it's still leaking oil :bluduh

[​IMG]
  15. clintnz

Oddometer:
    It was a great weekend for a ride, my new motor ran beautifully all the way up the Coromandel & back, 1000+ km now so ready for an oil change & valve check.

With the radiators off it's not too difficult to remove the exhaust for cleaning, but it'll just get covered in baked on NZ mud rather than African mud pretty quickly...

Common oil leak points on the LC4 motor are: 1. Countershaft seal + o ring behind the bush the seal runs on. 2. Head-camcover join above LH exhaust port (clean up & reseal with ThreeBond 1215, I happen to have some in the shed) 3. Kick start/gear selector shaft end seal - maybe fixable in place, mine was only a slight seep so it waited til the rebuild. Most of these won't show up much if it's not running however so it might even just be an overused copper washer on one of the sump bungs?

Cheers
    Clint
  16. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    found this on fleabay.com.au.. buying a whole bike for parts (at $9,900) might be a bit excessive yeah?

[​IMG]

but aint she purdy :toney:tb
  17. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    Not a lot to report lately.

I gave her a bit of scrubby scrubby

Spent a few hours working on the bike on on Sunday, trying to get the dent out of the tank. We were reasonably successful.

[​IMG]

We started off trying boiling water, with 1 jugs inside the tank, and a bath to immerse the tank in to heat the outside, with me pulling on a bolt and dad blowing compressed air into it at the same time. But it wasn't budging... the water it didn't get the nylon hot enough. Annoyingly I managed to pull the fairing mount bolt out of the tank

So we decided to try a heat gun in combination with the compressed air. And apart from scorching the paint and nearly setting it on fire a few times, it did the job. We got all the dents out except a small one.:thumb

[​IMG]

It's not pretty, but it's not leaking, and appears serviceable. So I can use it to get the bike running until I manage to get a new one.
  18. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    I was really stoked to see the courier... until I saw the box... awwwww ffuuuuuuu....

[​IMG]

We were preparing for the worst..

[​IMG]

But were pleasantly surprised to find the contents in mint condition...

[​IMG]

Thanks again Guy :thumb
  19. brothernath

brothernath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    come on Pete, put it on !!!! : )

[​IMG]
  20. clintnz

Oddometer:
    That looks pretty good! Depends how fussy you are, but given the cost of a new one, if it was me I'd paint it back up, chuck on some new stickers & call it golden - chicks dig scars ya know.

Cheers
    Clint