ADV@LBL.ride - May 2-4, 2014 - Near Cadiz, KY

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by sandalscout, Feb 3, 2014.

1. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    It's TIME Again!

What: ADV@LBL.ride
    Where: Land Between The Lakes - Tennessee and Kentucky
    When: May 2-4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 2013 was our first try at this, and it went better than we expected. In November, we had an impromptu follow-up, and even with colder weather and lower turn out, it was still a ton of fun. The date fills a gap between March Moto Madness and FerrySTOC. Weather could be a bitch, but at least it won't be hot.

The plan - Ride LBL, moto-camp, engage in general jack-assary. Firepit at night, enjoying a beer around the fire, etc. Great group of folks, and we have an entire campground loop to ourselves. Betty and Jerry, the hosts of Energy Lake Campground, are some of the couple folks to deal with, and they ride also. This has worked out in our favor very well!

BYOE - Bring-Ya-Own-Erethin' - Most of us plan on riding in with everything we'll need for the weekend.

Camping - Energy Lake campground inside LBL - They are willing to bend the rules of 2 tents per site for riders coming in on a bike. Also, as a group, riders not camping at Energy Lake will be able to enter with no charge! That's huge! If you want to rough it somewhere else, stay in a motel, or ride in just for the day, you can hang with the group at the Base Camp.

Non Electric sites - $12 a night. There are 2 Electric sites in loop B, @ $22 a night. Everyone is responsible for there own expenses, remember, BYOE! If we can get 3-4 bikes at a site, that's $3 or $4 per rider each night.

Energy Lake campground is in Map 4 on the MVUM maps below. Here is a link to Google Maps as well.

Riding - Between TroyJ650, SandalScout, KentuckyKLR and hopefully TreeMuncher, we should be able to lay out good routes for all bikes and riders. Hardcore off-road can be found at Turkey Bay, and there is enough pavement there and close by to keep the Road Boys happy. For everyone else, there is 120,000 acres of hills and hollers to explore with all DS and ADV bikes. It is a great place to learn DS and ADV riding since there is plenty of roads a car can safely travel. Then there are more challenging roads for the big ADV bikes. I have ridden there for a long time, and have not hit all the little roads LBL has to offer.

The hiking trails are strictly off limits, but Turkey Bay has enough challenges for anyone.

Troy has some more cool ideas for a scavenger hunt or poker run type event, but we'll see how it goes on the fly.

I feel like this has the potential to turn into something big, but also know it could be a lot of work. My intention is to invite anyone that wants to go, but with the understanding everyone is basically on there own. Traveling as a 20-30 person group would be a nightmare, but so could breaking down or getting lost if you are by yourself.

:ricky

Let's Ride!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troy and I have routed out a few rides in the past, and will sit down and review our routes, a few D/S and street rides, before the weekend of the event, and be able to share them before we head that way. I have a number of them up on DualSportMaps.com. I have also be put together a list of waypoints for area restaurants, gas station, hotels, etc.

We will be leading a few different rides, and encourage everyone to get out and explore on their own. It should be pretty easy to find a group you feel comfortable with, regardless of your style, skill level, bike, etc.

This is NOT a formal event, we see it simply as an excuse to get together and ride more of an area that we enjoy.

Check out LBL.org for some information about the area, things to see and do, and for MVUM Maps to get an idea of the area we will be riding in! The MVUM is important, as it has all of the roads that are legal for us to ride on within LBL mapped out.

Be sure to check out www.ADVLBL.com for more information, to register, find our facebook page, etc. Hope to see you there!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 2013 ADV thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859995
    Nov 2013 ADV thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929351
  2. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cross your fingers for better weather this year. Even with the horrible rain, last year was a genuine "hoot"!

Energy Lake has proven itself to be a great base camp for us. The hosts are riders also and understand the quirks a group like ours can have. The location is in the heart of LBL so getting to the good stuff is quick and easy.

I can't say enough about the variety of terrain. It is truly a dual sport and adventure bike training ground. There is no fuel available within the boundaries of LBL, but it's not far away.

From multi- cylinder adventure bikes to small bore Dual Sports, there are plenty of opportunities to wander and explore.

I am particularly excited about this year because I'll be piloting a true adventure bike in an area that is ideal for it. If you have ever wondered if you have what it takes to moto-camp, this is a perfect chance to find out.
  3. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Woot! Busy couple of weeks right round there for me. But I will try my darndest to get there this year. Missed it last Spring, and again last Fall.
    This year missing MMM. So not only do I want to make it. But I NEED to...:norton
  4. ihatefalling

ihatefalling Let it roll

Oddometer:
    This should be a cool ride.

Cool on ya.

:bow
  5. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    WOOHOO! Do you know, that the only time I've ridden with you was shortly after I got my XT250, over three years ago? We need to remedy that!
  6. iyaoyas98

iyaoyas98 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be there.

Getting to Energy Lake doesn't involve Dover.....
  7. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    :clap
  8. Kev95GS

Kev95GS goob

Oddometer:
    On the calendar :clap :freaky
  9. drm

drm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in
  10. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Sweet!
  11. iyaoyas98

iyaoyas98 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shit.

I'm out.

:hide
  12. drm

drm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    man, you starting already? :cry

i'm glad dover is out of the way so we wont have to wait on your sorry butt again...
  13. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We're working on a few things to speed up the process, such as, I already have a spare key for the truck..... :D
  14. drm

drm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  15. iyaoyas98

iyaoyas98 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dug out the heel of my boot. Cash in hand.

I had a good time this fall fellers.

If you haven't ever ridden in LBL, it really is a dual sport playground. :deal
  16. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    I'm in. Just pre-ordered an electric site, plenty of room for others. Did anyone ever find a close source of non-ethanol gas around energy bay area?
  17. peejman

peejman i wanna ride

Oddometer:
  18. sandalscout

Oddometer:

The Hilltop Kash Market is the place that is the absolute closest to the campground. I honestly don't remember if they actually had unleaded last year or not. Does anyone else? It's the place we made beer runs to.
  19. drm

drm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figured a klr would run almost anything...:hide

Did you get any extra gopro batteries for this trip? :)
  20. peejman

peejman i wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Noob in.

I'm a friend of drm's, but please don't hold that against me.

Mostly likely I'll be hauling the wee beastie in to D's place then on in from there