The reason I bought a bike

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by goldtooth, Jan 11, 2011.

1. goldtooth

goldtooth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got into street riding to be able to ride with my dad before he is too old to do so. He is now 63 and has been riding as long as I can remember and always been a huge Harley fan. When we were little, he had a run in with a deer on a back highway and crashed but was able to walk away. From that point on, he gave up riding until we were old enough and out of the house. He then felt like he could get back on a bike and if he were to have something happen to him, he wouldn’t have people depending on him. I commend him for this. He gave up something he loved for someone he loved more. Now we know that just because he didn’t ride a motorcycle that it was not guarantee of not being in a bad accident, he just felt it was the best decision.
    Since I am not into cruisers, I did not choose to ride a Harley but did not want a Japanese high revving bike. I looked at Ducati’s but in the end choose the Buell’s as they are as close to a Harley as I was willing to go and I really liked with Erik Buell did with his designs.
    Picked up a used X1 and took a safety class. The first ride I did with my dad was a great day. I could tell he was excited about the ride.
    We have since rode many times and here is one we took over the summer to Mt. St. Helens with some of his friends.
    My dad’s bike
    [​IMG]
    My Buell
    [​IMG]
    At his house in Longview, Wa
    [​IMG]
    We rode the back roads to meet his buddies at a gas station. For an old man, my dad can move on that pig. Though I did pass him and not see him until the next stop sign 
    At the gas station
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We rode up at a decent pace; they would pass the cars and then take a decent pace through the corners. I was content just to be out there and enjoying the time. No hurry now, the fun corners are towards the top anyway.
    We stopped for a late breakfast at this place my dad goes to a lot. They also give helicopter rides!
    Nice views
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the restaurant
    [​IMG]
    They ate at the expected pace, slow  It took us a while to get going again.
    After about 30 minutes of riding, my dad motioned me to pass as he could tell I was getting restless. I took off and didn’t see them again until the turn for Johnston Ridge where I stopped for a re-group. No traffic, big sweepers, and clear sky’s made a happy Buell rider.
    We rode to the top together and went to see the big mountain.
    In the parking lot
    [​IMG]
    My Dad
    [​IMG]
    Some nice bikes up there
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The once mighty Mt. St. Helens, now a bit shorter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My dad and I
    [​IMG]
    We then rode down to a lake to walk around. I believe it was Coldwater Lake. Very pretty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After that we decided to split up a bit to go home. I live in Portland and had to get home at a certain time so I said my goodbyes and headed out. Up by Hoffstadt Bluff, it got very foggy and cold but was able to ride out down to the valley where it warmed up. Jumped on the slab (I-5) and headed home.
    A great time to spend with my dad and his buddies.
    nate
  2. Capt Dan

Capt Dan Just Livin' a Dream

Oddometer:
    Very nice RR. Love the Fater Son thing. I wish I would have had that opportunity. Your Dad looks like the type that will never grow old. Good for him. Ride safe and enjoy those special times.
  3. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good riding w/ the older ones who still know the clutch from the front brake.
  4. trapperdick

trapperdick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing like being best friends with your dad.....:beer
  5. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    and pics! Your dad must be an incredible guy. He is certainly lucky to have a great kid like you. Your taste in bikes is also pretty damned good. :D
  6. jagred

jagred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a clean and mean looking Buell. Nice.
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pics!! Nice ride! :thumb
  8. goldtooth

goldtooth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments. I told myself I would take the pics for the memories and to share with friends on the forums and I have not been so good about writing the reports. Now that it is 33 degrees and raining, nothing better to do!
    And my dad is the best. We are taking a trip down to the Avenue of the Giants in June. Drove there with my family many times but this will be cool on the bikes.
    nate
  9. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool ride.
  10. Buckstoy

Buckstoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice little report, I've always wanted to visit Mt St Helens.
  11. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's cool that you and your Dad go riding together! I like your tube-frame Buell.

I've done 99% of my riding (50 years worth) by myself. My wife used to ride on the back, but won't do it anymore. She never wanted to have her own motorcycle as she doesn't want to deal with shifting and clutches. So we got her a scooter, and now I have a built in riding partner.

jon
  12. KeithTurk

KeithTurk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really get the Buell thing.... something in me just can't do the Harley... it's too... Cliche or something... I dont' know... I'm just not that guy... I did get a brand spanking new Ulysses before they were all gone ...

riding with my sons leaves me panic'd... My oldest is a new rider and scares the living poop out of me... but hey... we all live and we all learn... one thing at a time...

Trust me.... your dad is tickled that you would care ..

K
  13. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Good for the OP. It is so cool he got to do a serious ride with his ol' man. I did nothing with my father but watch him die of Alzheimer's. Treasure your family boys, you won't get another. I bought my Goldwing specifically so I could ride the Mrs. around. Allowed us the share the activity.
  14. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time with your father is never long enough. To have a dad who loves to ride with is indeed a gift. Looks like he is a Harley guy for life, I am BMW guy for life. Which is also too short...
  15. Avocet

Avocet Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My son started riding around 5 years ago, and we've taken several great road trips together. I'm sure your dad loves riding with you as much as I love riding with my own son. There's nothing else like it.
  16. Stewart5533

Stewart5533 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great little RR:clap
  17. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice report on Mt. Saint Helens. Been there, done that etc and about time to do it again. I do like the father/son thing. Good on you.

When the mountain blew on May 18, 1980 we were wood cutting in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon and could feel the ground shake while running the chainsaw. Heard on the radio on the trip home that it blew! Our house had 1/2" of ash in a day or two... but it was all good.

My son was 5 years old then and rode with me on the back of the trail 90 Honda. Now he's had a KTM (LC4 400cc?) dual-sport of his own for about 6 years now. He's in South Carolina and I'm in Oregon. His plan is to ride out here in September 2011 and have a long ride with dad. I'm counting the days as I've not seen him for several years. My grand daughters and daughters ride with me sometimes now, but not enough to suit me.

See you in June at the Hells Canyon ADV gathering. We're riding into Hells Canyon (Dug Bar on the Snake River-see on Google Earth-dug bar imnaha oregon). Went last year and again this year. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622989

Here's the link for last year (2010). http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536523&page=46

Grandpa Dave (62 in May)
  18. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR! congrats on buying that tuber buell too. that is one cool classic.

i got back into riding because my oldest son bought one. i thought we'd ride together. that was 1998 and i'm still waitin'...:lol3