WARPED X - What Do We Want To Do?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Y E T I, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    WARPED has been a Kernville event for the last 9 years. We want your feedback on what to do for WARPED X.

This is a simple poll asking if you want to return to MRA for another year. Please keep in mind the amenities that are available to us at the MRA location.
    - Local/close shopping and food
    - Flush toilets and showers
    - Lots of trails
    - Amphitheater
    - Group meal if we want (this might be a negative but we've had some good meals in the past).
    - Central California location

Poll (this is a public poll, folks will see how you voted)
    Do you want to return to Kernville for Warped 10
    Y/N
    Please give us some comments as to why you answered the way you did.

(If you have not attended this event in years past, or do not intend on going this year, please do not vote. Thank you.)
  2. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    IMHO Warped IS a Kernville event. I haven't missed one yet although I only showed for a day for a couple of them.

Let the arguing begin.

Gerg :gerg
  3. GillaFunk

GillaFunk I use profanities

Oddometer:
    Um.:huh

I volunteered to run WARPED given the expectation that its my show.

I am not planning on having it at WRA.

The intent will be, at least for WARPED X, will be to shift back towards ADVENTURE riding. i.e. load up your bike, ride somewhere, set up camp, ride around for the weekend, have a good time.

We have been riding that area for 9 years. Time to change it up.

I don't have interest in organizing the same thing we have been doing for 9 years unless all other options have been exhausted.

Yes, I am throwing this
    [​IMG]
  4. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Well, at least that's out there now. :lol3

Let's see what the attendees want, ok? If they want to stay at Kernville, as I do, that's where WARPED X should be. If you want to do something different, that's great.

If everyone who has attended WARPED wants to change it, great. But let's let them decide. :deal
  5. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    some considerations...
    • MRA has clean hot showers
    • the Kern River canyon is an arid area with generally mild weather in mid April
    • Kernville Brewing Company!
  6. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    But I have to agree with Yeti on this one. It always has been a Kernville event so there is the tradition.

But that aside it is centrally located, tends to have good riding that time of year which is harder to find further north and heading south makes it harder for the NCAL folk to attend due to greater distance.

So...

Location, time of year and amenities all add up to it being the proper and best choice for the event that I can think at this time.

My .02

And I see your gauntlet...

[​IMG]And raise you one

[​IMG]
  7. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Oh no you didn't!!! :nono

You did NOT just raise him a Red X!!!!
  8. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just see little white boxes :dunno

:rofl
  9. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    If your opinion is the 1 that counts then just do it.

I wouldnt ride any further south,too far as it is on slab.:1drink Its only your show if your the only one going.
  10. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn! Not a glove, but a gauntlet. An F'n metal one at that! Well, since it's Gilla, theme gotta be Hookers and Hookahs. So I guess we better stage somewhere near Nevada.
  11. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can I vote yes and no?:D. I am not opposed to moving, but I like the amenities(showers, restrooms, groceries, etc.). I enjoy riding and camping, but have no interest in being uncomfortable.
    The central location of MRA is a plus.
  12. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    If you want it to be a true adventure ride event, it has to be in a different place every night. And also a place a truck or motor home can't get into.
  13. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Until someone identifies another location with the amenities you and I (and others) enjoy, no.

I like MRA because of what it offers. (Plus John is a great guy.) If someone proposes somewhere else that offers everything MRA offers and is in a central location, I may be good with that. No one has done that at this time.

I think GillaFunk is looking for somewhere that trailers/campers/toy haulers can't go. In other words, if you don't ride in, you can't come. He'll let me know if I'm wrong.
  14. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kern... It's great.

Great stores

Great trails

All close

Cheryl's for killer breakkie...

Killer weather....

Did I say great trails???
  15. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    The thing is, Kernville is right at the door of endless Adventure and dirt riding,Jawbone is across the street which leads to darn near anywhere you want to go in the desert,as it is I spend as much time on the road as I would at the event in MRA.
    Lots of dirt riding available but I dont see a lot of ADV'ers taking advantage of it. Hauling my 530 there would be really fun but more days would be involved.
  16. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    I am somewhat ambivalent at this point. I DO sway towards keeping it at MRA for all the reasons previously noted. AND, it's the BIG NUMBER 10 (!!!) so's I'd like to hold onto the tradition for one more year (which is why I voted yes).

OTOH, I do see Gilla's point. BTDT.... a lot of times. Gettin' a bit stale. What keeps me going down there is seeing all the folks/friends I rarely get to see otherwise. As far as the motorhome, trailer crowd, I couldn't care less one way or another as long as you show. Some come for the hard core trails (dirt bikes) and some of us are gettin' older and like our comfort. I will still be tenting and riding down but appreciate all the beer/equipment hauling that occurs with all our truckin' friends. And a hot shower is much, much appreciated after a few days....as well as a nice crapper.....:lol3

:lobby
  17. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    All fine and good but what you want to do isn't WARPED. With your absence when you were anointed with the task of running it makes it hard to gauge the interest in moving it. Mater o fact, you missed the last TWO years.
    Your comment "The intent will be, at least for WARPED X, will be to shift back towards ADVENTURE riding. i.e. load up your bike, ride somewhere, set up camp, ride around for the weekend, have a good time." When was Warped anything but what it is? Back to? It never was!

So I raise your Gauntlet and see you... You have until mid November to find a place that has the trails and amenities, along with the somewhat central location for both the nor and socal folks. Until then we'll see where the majority want to go. If you find a place we'll revisit the poll.

This isn't Fall Colors where nobody knows where it's going to be and it's supposed to happen THIS MONTH. This is about ~100 folks making plans for a vacation day or two and PLANNING rides.

And last, you really need to get over the trailer RV thing. The RV at Warped 8 provided much needed coffee ALL day. It and some others who trailer hauled the EZ-ups that kept folks dry. Those same vehicles have hauled the KEGS of beer to the event as well as gone after MORE beer when we ran out. Not all of us drink old crumpledick. They have also provided LOTS of firewood.

Let the poll continue.
  18. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    What are we, lemmings?

I've been to all of them and to be frank, I think a new venue deserves serious consideration.
    I'd like some new scenery and so forth.

I mean, it's not like we are married to MRA is it? :D

Edit: I like the site, I like the riding, I like the local restaurants and stores, but I would also like to see if there are other campgrounds that offer a different blend of the same amenities. I mean, there's only so many roads and trails to explore there and on the way to and from...
  19. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  20. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Like I said, if someone comes up with a new venue that gives us what MRA does . . .

IF :deal
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.