Ordering Parts from ktm-parts.com ~ watch out.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by ryanwilliamcantrell, Sep 8, 2009.

1. ryanwilliamcantrell

ryanwilliamcantrell Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer:
    I'm sure many of you have had good exchanges with them. I did not.

Just sharing my experience so others are warned. I ordered clutch plates from them. Two weeks later, and a week after their ETA, I still don't have the plates. I asked when they'll be in, and they said they can't give me an ETA. So, I tried to cancel the order, and they said they'd charge me a 20% restocking fee if I did.

Here's the chat I had with one of their "Customer Service" reps:

<noscript> This functionality requires JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript and try again. To read the LivePerson accessibility policy, please go to the Liveperson accessibility policy page.
    </noscript> Please wait for a site operator to respond.
    You are now chatting with 'Robbie'
    Robbie: Good Morning

you: Hello, I need to get an ETA on my clutch plates, please. Order number 36146.

you: The order pages gave an ETA of a week ago, but I've still not received the plates nor the springs. 267768 EBC CK Series Friction Plates KTM LC8 Backorder $85.45 $85.45 Notes: ETA: 08-31-2009

Robbie: I'm looking it up.

Robbie: The ETA is the expected date for the parts to arrive at our source (KTM North America), you have to add 2-3 days for KTM NA to inventorize them, then 2-3 days for them to get it to us, and all this was during the Dealer Meeting and Labor Day weekend.
    you: So, what is the ETA to my doorstep, so I can get the parts installed?

Robbie: There is too many variables to give you an exact date at this time

Robbie: *there are

you: Perhaps that ought to be explaned in the ETA when one orders the parts, and sees the ETA date in their order. "The ETA is the expected date for the parts to arrive at our source (KTM North America), you have to add 2-3 days for KTM NA to inventorize them, then 2-3 days for them to get it to us"

you: OK. Cancel my order then.

Robbie: Your parts have already been special ordered, you will be subject to a 20% restocking fee.

you: Was this explained to me before I ordered the parts?!

Robbie: it's all in the Customer Service area.
    you: Where, exactly??

Robbie: https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SUPPORT&Order=0&Store_Code=K

you: So, this information, is in an area that the customer is not directed to before purchasing the product, correct?

Robbie: no, it's on the front page.

you: So, in short, I ordered a part from your company. Without being told it was a special order, the order was place. Your company then failed to ship the part to TWO WEEKS. You cannot offer an ETA to my doorstep. Now you're going to charge me TWENTY PERCENT to cancel the order?!?!

Robbie: Would you like me to give you my estimate?

Robbie: without holding it against me if Im incorrect?

you: No. I want to know when this part is going to be at my doorstep. What good does it do me if I can't get the part installed?!?! I can't ride my bike until this part arrives, and know I'm being held hostage by a $20 charge to cancel the order. This is the worst customer service I've had in quite some time. Not only will I not be ordering from this company in the future, I will be warning others of the customer service, and using this chat as an example. It will be posted online in the KTM chat rooms to warns others about ordering from this company.

Robbie: Would you like fries with that?

Robbie: sorry I can't tell you the EXACT time the parts will be on your doorstep.

Robbie: so please, DO NOT order from us again.

you: You can be assured of that.

Robbie: so go have fun on ktmtalk

you: And advrider.com, and anyone else who'll listen.
  2. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I've ordered parts from them in the past and so far so good. Did you order the EBC part instead of the factory clutch kit? I'm guessing the EBC clutch kit might be a non stock item considering they sell KTM parts first. I'm also guessing you wanted to order the EBC unit to save some money?

Its really not KTM parts fault that your clutch failed and if you are really concerned about riding your bike, maybe you should have had one on the shelf waiting?

DISCLAIMER- I'm not affiliated with KTM parts, just offering an opinion since I run a service business that relies on parts ordered from vendors. Nobody is stocking anything these days, cash flow is a major concern for every business that needs to have inventory on hand. All my suppliers are having the same issues and it sucks, but welcome to the recession.

Just playing devils advocate:lol3 The fries comment would have pissed me off though.
  3. the_lone_wolf

the_lone_wolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So...

Customer orders out of stock item

Customer fails to read terms and conditions of sale, despite being clearly locatable on company website

Customer's toys exit pram when said unread T&C are applied

:huh

[​IMG]
  4. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Oh - and now you're cross posting this all over the place?

Mods - Clean-up on isle two. This guy has already whined enough in the Vendors Forum....
  5. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  6. Dune

Dune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dude... 2 weeks is nothing!

welcome to the none claimability aka we can not and never will be held responsible for lost or misplaced or delayed items posted in the mail.... and that goes for vendors and shipping companies like USPS, Canada Post etc... alike!

I have had items gone missing for a month and then suddenly turn up at my door with no explanation whatsoever as if that was the date they were supposed to arrive....

2 weeks in my opinion is generally expected.... if it arrived sooner I would be worried!
    :lol3
  7. Jody H

Jody H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    credit card dispute... end of the drama
  8. ryanwilliamcantrell

Oddometer:
    Good point. Hadn't thought of that.
  9. ryanwilliamcantrell

Oddometer:
    Those are all good and valid points. My concern was that if it was a part that had to be ordered (and therefore a potential to be back ordered), I would liked to have been informed, so I could find one in stock... or at least let me cancel my order, so I can find on in stock somewhere else.
  10. Dune

Dune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They should have told you that this was an item that was NOT ins tock... and they shoudl have described to you how long exactly it was going to take to get it in stock and what else was entailed.... I have had similar experiences and that is why I now as mentioned do not hold any expectations when ordering something.... as ONLY dissapointment will occur.
  11. ryanwilliamcantrell

Oddometer:
    You must spend a lot of time in the basement? :dunno

Is this not a KTM-realted issue? Since it's KTM site?

As mentioned before, I have no doubt that lots of KTM owners have had great realtions with them. I'm just not one of them. And had I known that getting parts was going to be this difficult (or canceling an order), I'd have moved along to the next vendor.
  12. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    When I order from anybody these days, I call them to see if the item is in stock before I order online...... KTM-parts.com especially. The discount applies to online orders, but I check stock via phone or IM. I've never had a problem, but I verify. What did Reagan say to Gorby? Trust but verify?

I would also liked to be informed but 95% of the businesses don't do it, not sure why but I'm sure its manpower. How many people here are short handed at work these days? I'm a one man show, so I'm well schooled in the art of follow up:lol3
  13. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Since the site is online, I expect most of those notices could/would be generated automatically by computer. Many of the online sites I purchase from send me confirming order notices and immediate BO notices with right of cancellation statements. :clap
  14. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Could you list them in alphabetical order and PM them to everyone on this site........:lol3 J/K. Maybe the software investment is tough at the moment.... not trying to make excuses, but as a business owner I try to see both sides of the issue. I would bitch at my former boss about why we did things a certain way until I went on my own and realized it was not as easy as I thought.

I ordered a water pump kit for my SE from KTM-parts.com and got it in 4 days. Maybe I'm just lucky?
  15. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    For every 10 good business transactions there are probably 1 that maybe could be better.
    I've had good and bad from many vendors.

I do think the OP should pass on his chat to the owners/managers of KTM-Parts so that Robbie can receive some needed coaching. :deal
  16. ryanwilliamcantrell

Oddometer:
    Ya. I'm not as upset at not getting the part for 2 weeks, as much as I am that they want 20% to restock a part that was not said to be a special order on its purchase page. Nowhere on the page did it state that it was back-ordered, or a special part. I'd be fine with canceling my order, and finding it in stock somewhere else.

I completely understand you points of view, and agree with most of them, and appreciate your feedback.

What to take from this? As a business owner, remember how grumpy the customer gets (well, I do, anyway) if a part if back-ordered, and the company didn't warn them ahead of time in any way, and then wants to charge a 20% fee for canceling the order to find it in stock elsewhere.
  17. azshtr

azshtr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to know UPFRONT if an item is special order or backorder. And if they give an ETA, that is to my door. Any other BS about what ETA is, is just that, BS. You have a legit gripe. CC dispute for sure.
  18. ryanwilliamcantrell

Oddometer:
    That's very true.

It's just that I've never gotten quite this hosed before (even in poor transactions), and I've purchased a lot of parts over the net before. Maybe I've just not purchased enough to know what really getting hosed is? :lol2

But, ya, you're right. Every vendor has good and bad reps. This one just really ticked me off, especially since it was the 4th communication I'd had with them trying to get a date on when I can get my bike running again.
  19. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    What a novel idea. To buy from a local shop. That's unheard of these days. :rofl