Oc cobdr

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Mesjr, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Mesjr

Mesjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi . Although I've ridden bikes my whole life this is the first duel purpose and I love it . I've bin reading ride reports and want to do the COBDR this summer . Looking for any inmates in the OC that might let me tag along and help me be prepared ( what to take , bike prep etc )
  2. flynride

flynride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did cobdr this last summer. It was about the best moto ride adventure I have ever done. I went solo and I loved it. I wen where I wanted, stayed where I wanted and went my own pace.

Use the cobdr website for their pack list if you are unsure. There are towns along the way where you can get some things if you need. I would hotel it again because it rains and I needed to dry stuff out.

Mandatory items for me were sat tracker, waterproof gear, and a good gps to follow. The rest is for comfort.

Pm me if you have more questions.
  3. Mesjr

Mesjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would want to hotel too so I can pack light . I don't have a GPS but its on the list , I have to spend wisely I'm on a budget and the wife is watching me :deal. I've got a seat being worked on and did the side stand relocater working on high finder and sending the suspension to konflict in jan . Oh and a windscreen coming . Still a lot of gear on the list though . This bike is out of my tax bracket !!!!
  4. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    What month did you make the ride? I get enough rain here in Wa:lol3
  5. gpthis

gpthis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Am heading out in 2014, if timing works out we could cross paths? Would like to throw in some local trails also.........
    pm me if you want to keep in touch!?
    Going through the bike now, am also shipping my forks out to Konflict.!
    Peace Out :D
  6. Mesjr

Mesjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be up for some single track as well if we can find the time . I'm thinking July August .
  7. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been there. Done that. :). Look up my ride report.
  8. Mesjr

Mesjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yours was one of the first I read . Looked like a blast
  9. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mentioned a side stand relocator so I assume you're on a 950/990. If so then I recommend the following:
    - Set your floats at 4mm
    - FlexJets and Factory Pro jetting. I closed my FJ's above 8-10000 feet and the bike ran fine.
    - 16/48 gearing. You can run a 17 CS for road work. I ran 16/45 and while I was in 2nd for most of the climbs sooner or later I'd get knocked out of shape and then 1st was too high to start in the rocks without slipping.
    - Soft bags!
    - I ran a Heidenhau rear and TKC 80 front. I ran the rear at 25psi and the front at 30. They worked ok but next time I'd run knobbies for when it rains. And it will.
    - Definitely have your suspension reworked. Mine was by SPS and it was the best money I've spent (except for the strippers in Lake City and Orangecicle ponied up for most of them). Good suspension lets you carry more speed through the rough stuff.
    - Pack only what you absolutely need. And then leave half of that home. By the way, no matter how much you think you'll need a torque wrench and full 3/8 socket set, you won't.
    - Take off your throttle rocker or you may end up like this.......

[​IMG]
  10. Mesjr

Mesjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep a 06 950 adv. just put a 16t sprocket on the front and was going to go with a 45 rear , how's that 48 on the highway ? I'm at 3 mm on the float now , was at 4 mm but was still lean so went to 3 mm and I think 1.5 /1.25 on the screws . Can't remember mains but I think 170/172 . I can change the jets in I'd say less than a hour , but it still sucks . Going to have new tires for the trip , probably a k60 rear and a tkc 80 front , the 80 rear I'm not impressed with ,
  11. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The 16/45 is fine on the road up to 80-85 and is nearly the same ratio as 17/48.
    3mm may work for your bike, they all seem a little different, though 4mm will probably be fine at Colorado altitudes.
    My mains are 172/175.
    The k60 is good all around and gives great mileage. Not too hot in the mud and it works good in fireroads right up until it lets go. When I wore out my TKC80 on the front I put on a Michelin T63. It seems to work just as well on the tarmac and much much better in the dirt.
  12. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Mesjr

Mesjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've read reviews and people that have run the tkc 80 and the k60 say the k60 is better than the 80 In almost all situations and lasts longer . My 80 only has 500 mi on it and ill be surprised if I get 1500 and I haven't beaten on it that hard , and it doesn't get good traction anywhere , it's just ok everywhere . I'm looking for alternatives for the front as well . The 80 front slides out in slick stuff pretty quick but it dose well on the slab for a nobby . And id rather loose the front in the dirt than the black top . Seems the front nobs are too close together and the rear are too far apart and too big . Anyway I won't buy another tkc 80 rear . I'd like to try a terraflex but I'm sure it won't last at all on the road .